Loafer float

mikench

Reaction score
I have quite a selection of floats which have not seen and may never see the light of day! I think I must have bought them because they looked cute;)

Anyhow one is called a Drennen Loafer requiring 4 swan shot!

Four questions;

Is 4 swan the same as 4 ssg

It has a hole at the bottom for the line but I assume it should be locked to the line top and bottom by rubbers but it is very bulbous at the top and would need quite a diameter! Am I right or should it be used like a waggler?

Would I use it on rivers for trotting?

Am I a plonker(rhetorical)?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Am I a plonker(rhetorical)?

I'm afraid so Mike ;) :D.

You can get rubbers wide enough to put onto wide topped loafers. I'd deffo' ignore the eye and use rubbers if I was using one. I have used them myself but the short sight bob even though quite fat isn't the best of things to spot at range. I prefer to use a bolo float by a country mile and have put my loafer floats in a box out the way!

trotter2

Reaction score
I have used them in the past with big baits like luncheon meat and bread flake.
These days I usually just use a big Avon float something more visible at distance for long trotting.

theartist

Reaction score
Funny things Loafers, judging by the amount I pull out of trees i'd say they are a very popular float. Never got on with them myself on rivers although they are useful when sea fishing. Guess that says a lot about their finesse really.

Richox12

Reaction score
Usually top & bottom but I have used smallest ones bottom end only as Shallow Water/Trent Trotters to good effect

theartist

Reaction score
I keep a couple of loafers in my float box as they are handy for floater fishing. Attach them top and bottom with rubbers and they'll give you an extra few yards when casting as opposed to freelining. If you need to get out a bit further still then just pierce the plastic to allow a bit of water in for extra weight. This of course ruins the float for general use but is much more streamlined than a bubble float and causes much less disturbance than a controller. Great for Carp, Chub and Mullet when they are just out of range of a freelined bait.