Shimano curado 300

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Had anyone used this reel?

Basically I have been looking online and trying to see how much line I could expect it to hold. On the manufacturers website it states 12lb = xxx m 30lb = xxx m and so on. Well I want to use 0.3mm diameter braid. Anyone know what I should be able to get on it?

I wish manufacturers would quote line diameter rather than breaking strain as it's to much of a variable depending upon manufacturer and spec. For instance this I'm looking at putting on will be an 8 strand brad so loads of strength for very little thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
Not sure if this solves your problem, but this table seems to give capacities for mono and braid (Powerpro) for the models in this range.

CURADO

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It's a casting reel and it doesn't matter what the line capacities are, IMO. All you need on the reel is around 70-75 yards or metres whatever suits. You're lure fishing and will never cast more than around 40/45 yards (30/35 is more usual) and you're after pike. Well, if you can't stop a pike with 50/60lbs braid within 10 yards of a run, get a new reel. Beyond 40/45 yards you have little or no control over the lure anyway, it's basically a chuck and chance affair.

So (and I'm sure I wrote an article on this once, but the search function on this new site isn't half as good) stick two banksticks out in your back garden or wherever and place them 5 or 10 metres/yards apart. Wrap the braid around them until you have 70 or 75 yards/metres off the spool.

It's a bit of guesswork now, but put a little bit of nylon backing on the spool first, always good with braid. Then wind on the braid from the banksticks. If it's too much, wrap it back on to the banksticks and remove some nylon backing. If the line is too low, add some more backing. You'll get the idea just how much backing you'll need.

Doing this and only putting on 70/75 yards/metres means you'll get two fills from one spool of 150 yards/metres of braid. And bear in mind, the first coils onto the reel won't rot or crimp under all the top coils so you can always reverse it later and use the bottom bit for a while. This way you get four fills and short of breakages, it will last for years.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
If you have 2 spools you an use the technique described on here by someone much brighter than me whereby you wind 75m or whatever onto the 1st spool then fill up with backing. Take of that spoil and wind it onto the 2nd one, reversing it. Sounds les of a faff to me.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Thanks Kev I did come across that too Nottskev but was just curious as to what that converted to. It's just diameter varies depending on manufacturer and 4 strand or 8 strand. I get the sufferance would be minimal I'm just that weirdo that gets bugged by ambiguous information lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk