Historic Rainfall data

Muffin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm debating if its worth going to the Bristol Avon tomorrow, have checked the EA flood warnings and they say the river is now falling where I want to fish, but I am still unsure if the level will be fishable/worth giving a bash.

So my question is does anyone know a website or information resource that lists historic DAILY rainfall anywhere?

So I can know how much rain has fallen and hopefully have a better idea if its worth driving to the river before I get there!

Oh and if anyone live near the Bristol avon around Christian Malford can they let me know what it looks like!

Ta

Simon

Reaction score
Have you tried Rivercall?
The numbers for your region are on the EA website.

It will give you levels at various positions along the river and state whether falling/rising/steady - you can then asses where the flood pulse is.

They usually take readins twice per day.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
up in shropsire they have various web cams on the severn in Shrewsbury & Bridgenorth so you can get live pictures of the river level. They are on the bbc web site, don' know if you have the same down there.

The bad one

Reaction score
Muffin you might find this article helpful in the future

Floods

This method I'm convinced can be adapted to any river in England if you have the basic data from the two sources.

Reaction score
Muffin

What youwant is onhere http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

e.g. enter Bristoland select history from the drop down -> select history again -> select precipitation.

And this is what you get rainfall - Filton- the last 14 days rainfall amounts in Bristol.

Should give you a rough idea. I think you would need a really good knowledge of the river to acurately predict what effect the recent rain is likely to have had on any given stretch.

Muffin

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!

The river was still quite coloured on saturday morning, and was just about perfect when I left at 6.30pm in the evening! Managed one good chub about 3lbs, and a few other bits.

Towards the end of the session as conditions looked perfect I was getting lots of sharp plucks on bread on the feeder, but could not connect with them. I was convinced they were roach, so wondered if there was such a thing as a typical roach bite, asI've read they are shy biters and just imagined it could be roach?

Any tips for connectng with sharp plucks on the feeder? I could not really go smaller than a size 12 hookdue to the need to get the bread to stay on in the flow.

Thanks

Simon

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A couple of tips are to have the feeder on a link rather than directly on the line - try a six inch link, secondly try increasing the length of the tail (hook link) possibly to as much as 3ft, lastly, feed some slack line into the setup. Fishing upstream can help. The plucks are sometimes dace - easy way to find out is switch to an 18 and try two maggots.

B

Bully

Mark - what is the difference in having the feeder on a link? I am trying to understand how that changes the setup. Also, would not the tip strength make a difference, especially a really stiff one? I agree about the slack line, although when I get "plucks" as described I often hang a good old fashioned detergent lid bobbin above the first ring!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The link feeds more slack into the setup. I forgot about the tip - you're right - but then I use an old Normark quivertip rod which is perfect (got both tops).

I once spent a week on a Thames cruiser and the only way to catch was a maggot feeder. At the start of the week we reeled in skins, but the end of the week we were so tuned that we hit the bites as the first nudge started - these were dace not roach. Shows what experimentation with the rig and a lot of practice can do.

Reaction score
Good tip Mark. I generally fish with the feeder on a link and find I get much more positive bites. It's a bit more tangle prone though.

Another major advantage is when there are a lot of snags. As long as you use a lighter link than your mainline then you just break the link and don't have to tackle up againfrom scratch.