pva or method ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i have been fishing a new lake and alot of the lads say down the edge under a bush is a great tactic for the carp and not too many are caught in open water believe it or not, and dont come to big beds of bait and yellow sweetcorn makes them back off :rolleyes:

they got carp upto 28 or possible 30lb has anyone found that bigger specimen back off from method/pellet feeders ?

trotter2

Reaction score
I would imaging any old wise fish that has been hooked a few times would back off from any thing which was suspicious, a feeder is no different to anything else be it hooks, line, weights.
If you take something out of the equation your chances should increase.

The only time the method has worked for me is in overstocked puddles.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
I had carp using both … take the advice from the guys that fish the lake

You might get a better answer if you post this in the carp page

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Feeder has worked as had a 19lb 2 weeks ago and Friday biggest was 11-10 all on fake maggot and a few dead ones , next try a big pellet or wafter as no boilies alowed but a small parcel of micro mixed pellets may work .

I know i have asked before about the 2 but it's just people's experience if they find bigger fish come to pva parcels better .

Yes feeders are easy to fill but there can be seen . I'm not casting just under arm flick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Different methods although at first glance they might look the same, PVA bags normally contain loose offerings that will waft about as fish move about near them but the method relies on fish to break the ground bait fixed on it down by feeding on it and eventually finding the hook bait.

Both can be good and I have caught some large fish using both, if the fish are caught in the edge beneath bushes why bother with either just loose feed on top of your rig and wait.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I guess it's due to have all in extreamly close area of the Hookbait as with bushes I have known to draw feeder Upto 6" of rod tip and lean as far I can and push rod tip below bush and lower down feeder .

But going buy what regulars who been fishing it for years . I still got a bucket of those floating carp pellets mixed in with other pellets and yes seen them float and wind take them away , once they gone the better . Never buying again !

trotter2

Reaction score
Feeder has worked as had a 19lb 2 weeks ago and Friday biggest was 11-10 all on fake maggot and a few dead ones , next try a big pellet or wafter as no boilies alowed but a small parcel of micro mixed pellets may work .

I know i have asked before about the 2 but it's just people's experience if they find bigger fish come to pva parcels better .

Yes feeders are easy to fill but there can be seen . I'm not casting just under arm flick

The main advantage comes by using less weight to hold bottom.
With the tea bag you only need a single shot to hold bottom if you need more weight put a stone in the bag. Big fish don't alway hook them self they learn to avoid anything which offers any form of resistance.That's why free line tactics results in positive takes.
There is always an exception mate,some people are satisfied they are catching the village idiot,

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I also use free running feeders so can hook itself , using 1.5 Avon rod close and no alarms so rely on the weight to set the hook as everytime the rod jumps off the rest and you lean over to strike .

So you think may be worth free lining ? Or what about free running but a small lead or ssg link ?

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

It's exciting way to fish though , loads better then behind alarms !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Something to give a go ;)

May even be worth using a back lead and only have rod tip just by banks edge

Thanks