Diwia sensor !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I replaced the line on 2 of my reels with sensor last summer I removed it as the line twist was terrible but anyway since only using it twice and no long distance casting just Upto 20 yards and only smaller carp and skimmers I have found the line is breaking up . Like its fraying but not in one place had to pull around 3 rod lengths off and later in day same thing again !

It's like marmite and I can't stand either now .

Any reconditions for another line in bulk spool need to do 2 X 4000 spools . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenie62

Reaction score
Now you know why Tigger throws it away and re-spools so often - it's to avoid the sort of problems you've suffered! :eek::D:doh:

Richox12

Reaction score
Breaking up ? Fraying ? Have you checked the ceramics in the guides ? Especially the Feedertip/Quiver guides ???

thecrow

Reaction score
Breaking up ? Fraying ? Have you checked the ceramics in the guides ? Especially the Feedertip/Quiver guides ???

That was my immediate thought or even the roller on the reel, I have never known sensor to do that unless it has been through a snag and I have used it for years.

rayner

Reaction score
No matter what anyone thinks of Sensor, no line will fray without cause.
There's an issue with the rod, damaged rings are notorious.
Line twist could be caused by poor loading or trying to retrieve line whilst the clutch is slipping.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The rod was new at Xmas , it's a drennan and used on another drennan rod that is 6 months old doing on both rods . Use same rod with other spool for bigger carp and was fine

---------- Post added at 02:36 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ----------

Reel is a shimano and roller turns freely and as said used other spool that's got esp syncro on and it been on since last summer no problems . Defiantly not the reel or rods .

Any other bulk line to try ? I seen the maxima stuff but never used it . Any good ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now you know why Tigger throws it away and re-spools so often - it's to avoid the sort of problems you've suffered! :eek::D:doh:

Only on my pins ;).

I've got sensor (among'st other brands) on my reels that's years old and it's still fine.
Sensors the best line i've used and i've tried quite a few of the "so called" top ones n'all.
It's quite obvious there's some other fault causing Matts damaged line, unless he's using fools gold by mistake :eek:mg:.

Greenie, feel free to let me know if you want a match and we'll see how sensor compares with your line of choice ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
It certainly points to the line though as swap spool to one with esp on as I said no more problems .

nottskev

Reaction score
I used Sensor in high breaking strains like 10 and 12lb for a few years for barbel, as it was cheap enough to replace often. It proved tough as the proverbial. I never tried it in lower strains for more general use. For medium feeder/leger, I've never used anything but Maxima in 4 and 6lb in decades as I find it so well-behaved, reliable and durable. For waggler when I want the line to sink I use Maxima in 2, 2.5 and 3lb. I only use other brands for pole and stick float. Not everyone likes it but Maxima is one of the few products I still buy that I bought when I started.

rayner

Reaction score
Maxima is brilliant, it's true it does stretch but that's why a reel loaded with 6lb is impossible for me to snap.
I've no evidence but the island where I fish I'm sure has been pulled nearer to the near bank.
Show how people see thing differently because I reckon Maxima is very abrasion resistant.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
For years i used Daiwa sensor but only up to 8lb breaking strain as i found it started to get a bit wirey above that.

What i did notice from using sensor in my early experiences with it is that it suffered more from line twist than other lines i had used, but this was mostly apparent after i had initially loaded it onto my spools, so i changed how i loaded it and then it started to behave itself quite well and rarely gave me any problems.

I found Sensor to be particularly effective in clear water, i would have no problem using it in 4, 6 and even 8lb even now.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I use 6lb as mainline as tench fishing on Avon rods

john step

Reaction score
I use Sensor in everything from 4 to 18 bs and never had a problem.

I like others previously suggest the fault lies elsewhere. Despite the rod being new I would inspect the rings with a magnifying glass.

Also its worth checking the rim of the bulk spool for damage or a sharp edge.
You never know the plastic moulding process could have had a problem.

Its worth buying a device sold by Daiwa whereby your bulk spool is threaded on a spindle and held by a spring.

Mine is permanently fixed to a shed strut for ease of use.

I cannot remember the make of reel but I did have trouble once with a dodgy bail arm roller that would snick and fray and cut fine lines.
Worth close examination.

PS Just had another thought. Is there weed where you fish. Some very tough stemmed weed will damage line when dragged across it.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I use sensor, a good reliable line. Never had any problems with it. Big bream , barbel tench and recently some nice roach, all with it as mainline but other brands as hooklengths.
One line that gave me problems was Berkeley, the twist was bad but subsequent spools have been ok so maybe a bad batch.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I will have to investigate further , I doubt the rigs would be damaged . All I know it wouldn't be my korum Avon rod or the reel I used with that the last 2 Fridays as said used with esp Lind and it's been fine . Going to have a good look at all possibilities later . What's best thing to clean rod rings with ? I was told not wd40 . I have gt85 thst has ptfe in it . Any good ?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I assumed Matt was pushing out a feeder or method.

You have got the options with Silstar to match a lower bs as hooklink.

I'm happy to use it as mainline all my trotting and in higher bs for feeder work on pools and lakes.
Not on big rivers though. Then to GT80 or GR60. Tough as boots but quite high profile. Adrenna line worth a look for pools as well Matt.