Center pin line guide

iain t

Reaction score
Wife has just come home from the local shops and bought me a Grice & youngs Avon Royalcenter pin reel from a charity shop for what i think is a bargain £2.50. Runs nice and smooth but i have one concern. The line guide i think it's called is set and not removable for right hand wind. Am a left hand winder. if i flip it for my correct left hand it is on the rear. Do i need this guide ?.
Also this put's the clicker lever a the front. Hope this make sense to someone.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wife has just come home from the local shops and bought me a Grice & youngs Avon Royalcenter pin reel from a charity shop for what i think is a bargain £2.50. Runs nice and smooth but i have one concern. The line guide i think it's called is set and not removable for right hand wind. Am a left hand winder. if i flip it for my correct left hand it is on the rear. Do i need this guide ?.
Also this put's the clicker lever a the front. Hope this make sense to someone.

Usually the guard is held on with a screw and can be removed and put on the other side. Have you got a picture of it Iain?

peterjg

Reaction score
I fear you may have inadvertently started yet another pin discussion?

Take the line guard off, you don't need it. Have the line coming off of the top of the spool - you reel in backwards but it is easy to get used to, it works better and you will get less tangles.

For many years I used a pin with line coming off of the bottom of the spool then I tried the "wrong" way and found it so much better.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take no notice of peterjg's advice, he really has no idea what he's on about ;) ..lines far better off the bottom :D.

Oh you can do without the line guard though, it might be better taken off actually as the GY guards don't look too tropical.

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks again for your inputs. The guard is riveted onto the back panel. To move it on the other side i would need to drill the clicker and lever then mechanism. This would entail drilling holes in the back plate to put everything the other way. I think i will de-rivet the guard off and use it without it.
I have heard it's better to have the line coming off the top in very windy conditions

barbelboi

Reaction score
I prefer to have the line coming from the bottom however, in the end it's personal preference - I don't believe there is a right or wrong way. Your opinion of the line off the top in windy conditions Iain (i.e. it will be closer to the first guide) would probably be helpful until you become familiar with the pin. Again, it's all personal preference - some prefer guards, I don't.

seth49

Reaction score
Been having a look on another forum about this reel, seems too be liked as a decent reel, certainly strong enough for margin work for carp etc, some pins have line guards, and some haven't, I'm not bothered either way, if you remove the line guard it will still be usable, I like the line coming of the bottom as well, it's what I'm used too, it's a good idea to get in the habit of looking at the reel after a cast, too make sure the line is coming off the reel correctly. enjoy?

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks again for your inputs. The guard is riveted onto the back panel. To move it on the other side i would need to drill the clicker and lever then mechanism. This would entail drilling holes in the back plate to put everything the other way. I think i will de-rivet the guard off and use it without it.
I have heard it's better to have the line coming off the top in very windy conditions

That's the first G&Y pin I've come across with a fixed line guide - both my Avon Royal Supreme and Gypsy D'Or had removable and reversible line guides and so have other models that I've seen. Current prices are around £30-70 depending on model and condition, so you have a decent bargain. Flog it and buy one with a reversible guard.:)

iain t

Reaction score
That's the first G&Y pin I've come across with a fixed line guide - both my Avon Royal Supreme and Gypsy D'Or had removable and reversible line guides and so have other models that I've seen. Current prices are around £30-70 depending on model and condition, so you have a decent bargain. Flog it and buy one with a reversible guard.:)

Looked it up the Avon Royal is the basic one to the Supreme. Trying to down load some pic's now

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Here are the pictures to explain the problem of changing things about
"] [/URL]
IMG_20170425_193257_zpsxdura3zp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20170425_193241_zpsk4ruqfx1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks to have had a new rivet in fitted, maybe it was a screw originally?
The reel looks very small, if you want a centrepin reel to use then you might be as well doing as Rob said, sell that one and get something more useable.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
line coming off top or bottom??? what does that mean? front or back i can get my head around, but, top n bottom???? i thought i had enough info from my C PIN tread to maybe get me started with a pin n now more info that sounds important, im a leftie winder most of the time so with a pin i would load the line with a foward n down wind thus the line lay would be on the front of the reel (away from the rod) and to let line off, the handle/spool would spin up n back towards the rod, (all hypothetical as i dont have a pin yet) is this right/wrong? do i need to give up fishing? drink? tabs? why have chef changed their brown sauce recipe? :eek:mg: my life is gone to hell in a handcart:doh:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger it not what i call very small at just under 4 inches

It'll probably be 3 1/2 or maybe 3 3/4 inches so considering the line lays are set quite deep it is small bud.
Is it for trotting or still water fishing? You may not want to hear it but it's deff'o not very good for trotting.....jmo of course ;).

iain t

Reaction score
Was going to use it for trotting. Loaded some line on it put a 3 SSG shot on it, stood on my garage roof and dropped to the line. Even with the shot on the floor, it was still letting out line with the momentum. A very scientific test you would agree

Keith M

Reaction score
For £2.50 I'd just remove the line guard (by drilling out the rivet) and use the reel for something else like catching Roach, Rudd and even Tench and Crucians fairly close in.

It doesn't sound like its going to be a good trotting pin whether it was 3.75" or 4.5" diameter unless it was 3BB shot you used rather than the 3SSG shot that you said you used on your garage roof test Lol.

However it might be ok for fishing closer in on stillwaters even if it is not ideal for trotting.

Keith

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
This is my Gypsy D'Or, just for comparison - you can clearly see the screw holes on left and right. It's also a test to see if Photobucket is working for me on Firefox (haven't been able to use it with Chrome for a while.)