Last one

laguna

Reaction score
"The May issue of Crafty Carper is now on sale!

After a fantastic two decades this will unfortunately be the last edition we publish, it’s been a great journey but every good thing must come to an end."

For what it's worth, this one wasn't too bad, it had some decent contributions from anglers.

laguna

Reaction score
So judging by the responses... nobody cares that another fishing mag bites the dust? nobody bought/read it, nobody reads fishing mags, nobody takes a quick sneak read in the newsagents or maybe...

nobody here goes carp fishing?

Me neither :D

Philip

Reaction score
Dont worry your not alone ;)

I think I have a copy of the first issue of it somewhere. I remember when it first came out. From memory Tim Paisley did it as there was such a demand for technical articles and the overspill of that demand from the readers of Carpworld led to the birth of Craafty Carper.

Truth be told I have lost track somewhat so I did not even know it was still being published. To think it was 20 years ago is amazing...i wouldnt have even guessed it was 10 years old. It seems just yesterday when it first came out.

Are they still doing Carp talk ?

laguna

Reaction score
I don't know Philip, I'd forgotten I was subscribed to their newsletter its after maybe 2 years advertising with them they sent me their last free mag. As an advertiser we get sent free copies of each publication, a quick scan usually while sat on the toilet provides a little entertainment occasionally but that's about it. Anyone first starting out/new hobby will want to read up and learn all they can, thereafter you don't really need an instruction manual and nobody nowadays buys them for the ads. Like all things these days, the info can be garnered for free via the net.

First edition from 20 years ago might be worth double what you paid for it.... in another 20 years time! :rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
a quick scan usually while sat on the toilet provides a little entertainment occasionally but that's about it

I see your not really a fan Chris. I did wonder if you put it to some other usage given were you where reading it but I wont go there ..:D

Joking aside I was never really a fan of the purely technical articles in mags. Its hard for writers to really come up with anything new.

I much prefer the types of articles that recount an anglers time on a water, including the struggles they went through and problems they faced. These I think are both enjoyable to read and also you can pick some things up from them.

Where you do occasionally pick new things up as well is when you read about other types of fishing..game or sea, or predator fishing and so on. There are lots of crossovers in the various branches of the sport as I am sure you know and sometimes you see something and think how you could apply it to a different type of fishing.