Tta

iain t

Reaction score
Am not ashamed but am no way a tackle tart. I just end up buying stuff that i won't use or need. Sounds good to me at the time i hand over my money.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't say i'm a TT, I just prefer decent quality gear. I do use all my gear but try to look after it when I use it. I don't think looking after your kit means your a TT, it just means you appreciate it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never bought anything that I never ended up using. Many others will believe that I've bought stuff that I don't need. However, I've never bought a thing that I didn't believe I needed for some particular application.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Today I visited a small tackle shop that mainl sells bait but the owner does sell a few second hand tackle

He had a John Wilson anniversary rod the one with 1.25tc and 1.75tc Avon tops and spliced quiver of 3/4 Oz and 3oz , I looked at it and it wa like new and he wanted 50 quid for it

I was reaching for my wallet when I remembered I've got the JW Avon 1.25 quiver rod , a JW 1.75 to rod and a Shimano 1.5 tic avon with quiver tips of 1,2 and 3 Oz ( I think) tops

So I've no need for it so didn't buy it but now I'm thinking well for £50........

mikench

Reaction score
I like nice tackle and whilst it is far too good for me but I am getting better and one day my skill and the quality of my tackle may just merge at an appropriate level. In the meantime I remain happy to follow Tigger's and Rob's recommendations:rolleyes:

robtherake

Reaction score
I like nice tackle and whilst it is far too good for me but I am getting better and one day my skill and the quality of my tackle may just merge at an appropriate level. In the meantime I remain happy to follow Tigger's and Rob's recommendations:rolleyes:

I think you've moved beyond my bargain basement recommendations now, Mike, although I'm sure I can still tempt you with any amount of faddish gadgetry.;)

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Real story.

I saw two nice old carp rods for sale on E-Bay. The chap said he was only selling because he could not find a third rod that matched. He said he always fished with three rods, and was gutted he had to sell such wonderful rods.

I looked to see what price they might sell for generally and found a shop selling a last one. So I mailed this guy and said I'd found one for him and gave him the details.

He mailed me back saying it was no good as his had duplon handles and the one for sale was abreviated. All three had to match, so much for the rod action being amazing?:w

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Real story.

I saw two nice old carp rods for sale on E-Bay. The chap said he was only selling because he could not find a third rod that matched. He said he always fished with three rods, and was gutted he had to sell such wonderful rods.

I looked to see what price they might sell for generally and found a shop selling a last one. So I mailed this guy and said I'd found one for him and gave him the details.

He mailed me back saying it was no good as his had duplon handles and the one for sale was abreviated. All three had to match, so much for the rod action being amazing?:w

That's mad but then if all rods have to match then all reels must and line and once on the rod pod all the reel handle must be in the exact same position

xenon

Reaction score

never understood this "too good for me" line. Yes, maybe an individual may not get the best from it due to lack of skill, but deliberately picking shoddy kit? to me that's just bonkers.

nottskev

Reaction score
I think I'm some sort of TT. But I'm not sure what. Not straightforward brands and labels - couldn't afford it. But you know how some people conceive their fishing around captures and species - a 2lb roach; a 20lb carp, the PB approach? I think in terms of the methods I enjoy- a catch on the slider; a session touch-legering; a go on the waggler etc. And that's where my TT side comes in - I want to use gear that adds to the pleasure of those methods. That usually means rods that are light in the hand, magnify the feel of the fish and allow light lines. The most expensive is not always the best "feel"; my favourite leger wand is home-made and would sell for about £5 on Ebay. My favourite float rod is 20+ years old and one just went on Ebay for £200. My favourite floats cost pence to make and look like the remains of a bonfire.
There's all kinds of TT's.

john step

Reaction score
That's mad but then if all rods have to match then all reels must and line and once on the rod pod all the reel handle must be in the exact same position

Yes Yes I have seen this. I asked the club member why his 3 reel handles were neatly in the same position AND NEATLY FOLDED whilst waiting for a run.

He informed me they looked better that way.

Philip

Reaction score
I buy loads of stuff I dont need but I would not say I am a tackle tart.

I thought a tackle tart was someone who always brought loads of new kit just to pose with it ? ...you know like all their bank sticks in stainless steel and then constantly polishing it or worried about pushing it into stony ground in case they scratch it and so on..

My problem is I cant resist a tackle "bargin". I guess like allot of us on here having fished for many years you sort of get to know instantly if something is being flogged off at a stupid price. I end up buying whatever it is even if its useless and I dont need it.

I have bivves I have not even taken out of the sack..I just had to buy it as I knew it was being sold too cheaply.

I even have one of those "bed boxes" ...anyone know those ? ...its like a tent that clips onto your bedchair. Its the most ridiculous contraption I have ever seen...metal arms that you have to bolt onto the bedchair frame, guide poles that you have to thread all over the place and totally unusable after you set it up..no space and being single skinned and the exact width of the bedchair your literally wrapping yourself in a soaking condensation blanket. Its totally stupid pointless and I will never ever use it ...but when I saw them selling on off at a clearance sale for a giveaway price I had to buy it.

Which reminds me ...if anyone is after a lovely bed box I have an unused one for a good price ;):D

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I'm at serious risk of buying a meat cutter thingy.

I've never used luncheon meat other than honking great 1.5 inch cubes when fishing Carp puddles for overfed lake monsters.

I don't imagine I'd ever use more than a dozen small cubes in any given session, if I ever actually opened one of the five tins bought last year.

But it would make me feel more 'prepared' and 'professional'. Sort of 'match fit' if you like. It would fit nicely in the base of my rarely used Preston seatbox along with the pristine and as yet unused Preston punch set and box, adjacent to the truly superfluous Preston Pellet Wetter.

I'll probably buy one next week!!:eek:mg:

Philip

Reaction score
Preston Pellet Wetter

Is that a real item of tackle ?

Do they make a preston pellet dryer as well for when you went a bit overboard with the pellet wetter ?

If they dont then they missed a trick I recon. Sort it out Preston !:D

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Is the Pellet Wetter a real item of tackle?
Well, they're on sale, but I'd still say no they aren't.
Has anyone else noticed that the world of commercial angling is currently where marketing tests the limits of anglers' addiction to retail therapy?
I suppose the clue is in the name
I can be a sucker for a beautiful rod or reel but not a redundant plastic gizmo.

buick_toni

Reaction score
I might have a slight problem, but it does not control my life. Everything I buy, I buy because I can tell myself a reason for that!

Sometimes people have told me I don't need all the gear I buy, but they don't understand me. Sometimes it's hard for me too, but it gives me joy to get all those shiny lures, a new rod or a set of hooks.

Ok, was the first step to admit having a problem? :D

Ok, for real, it's a funny thing, as last time I counted I had ~200 lures, which of I use maybe 20... And after that I might have bought a few more.
But hey, it's not a real hobby if it does not take all your money! :cool:

nottskev

Reaction score
Hello buick_toni. 200+ lures? Ok. I got an ABU catalogue in 1974. The company had some top match rods and reels on the market. The catalogue had page after page of fantastic spinners and spoons. Culture shock for me - I thought everbody in Europe fished with maggots and worms etc. I bought a couple, put them in a box and got them out to admire occasionally. I totally understand why you might need a couple of hundred at least. Tight Lines. (and that was the name of their catalogue :) )

rayner

Reaction score
Is that a real item of tackle ?

Do they make a preston pellet dryer as well for when you went a bit overboard with the pellet wetter ?

If they dont then they missed a trick I recon. Sort it out Preston !:D

Nothing but a glorified colander.

---------- Post added at 03:56 ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 ----------

OK I may spend a few quid on my fishing, I certainly wouldn't call it an addiction. It's just me being me.
As for things I will never use well my Yorkshire roots prevent me from wasting money.
I have loads of gear that are relegated to storage but even those have had plenty of use.
Several items have not been used yet but they are on notice and ready to go instantly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
True tackle-tartery has little to do with cost as it is more a "state of mind" . . . . and if you need to have that comment further defined then . . . .

you ain't one ;)

Tackle Tartery - Example - part 1
When I changed out my Carp rods I decided on the Greys X-Flite 1¾lb T/C models, so I bought 4 of them. Three
to use with one spare in case I ever broke one so I'd
almost always have a matching trio of rods . . . .

Tackle Tartery - Example - part 2
Now, those X-Flites have the name laser etched on the
nickel plated butt ends, so it was inevitable that I
would need the X-Flite 42" landing net to compliment
the rods as it too has the name etched similarly on the
butt plate . . . . . £130 for a landing net might seem a lot, but a true T-T has to have the matching set . . . .

Hello, my name is Peter, and I am an uncontrollable
Tackle Tart . . . . . :)

Last edited: