Which rod

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm may , and may mind you buy a new rod
After giving the Diawa 10ft pellet waggler a good bend in the tackle shop I'm thinking it will suit small ponds for carp up to 10 lb and also be good for roach

But I'm also looking at the gargolino carp rocker waggler another nice light 10ft rod that seems to have the same action from the limited feel in the shop

Anyone used either of these two rods

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have the Garbolino 10' rocket pellet waggler rod, can't knock it for the £29 it cost me. Used it at Clattercote and landed a few lumps it was fine...

rayner

Reaction score
I'm a Drennan fan and have both red range and puddle chuckers.
Garbolino rockets are a decent budget rod that will handle commercial carp easily, they can't be beaten for the price.

robtherake

Reaction score
Lots of the budget Garbolinos end up back at my local shop after tip breakages, the broken ends revealing a fag paper-thin blank. The other budget rods may be no different, mind.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People can kid themselves if they like but there's no way your gonn'a get a quality fishing rod for 30 notes, it's not happenin'....simples!

trotter2

Reaction score
Lord Paul have you had a look at the maver abyss.?

robtherake

Reaction score
People can kid themselves if they like but there's no way your gonn'a get a quality fishing rod for 30 notes, it's not happenin'....simples!

I beg to differ, bud. I have a WMAC Pro Performance (shop's own brand) carbon 3-piece 10 footer that's a terrific rod. It was just £35. Those Pro Performance rods were cracking value for money and come up for sale so rarely it seems their owners must be hanging on to them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I beg to differ, bud. I have a WMAC Pro Performance (shop's own brand) carbon 3-piece 10 footer that's a terrific rod. It was just £35. Those Pro Performance rods were cracking value for money and come up for sale so rarely it seems their owners must be hanging on to them.

I've never seen or heard of 'em Rob.
Thing is it might look and feel ok but at the end of the day quality carbon and fittings arn't cheap for the maker so it's nigh on impossible to get a genuine quality rod cheap or anything else for that matter.
Check out the rods fittings and see what make they are, i'd imagine they're generic guides, same goes for the reel seat etc etc. I'm not knocking your rod by the way ;). I've bought cheap rods in the past and could instantly tell they where cheapo's when I layed eyes on them and handled them.
As the old saying goes....you get what you pay for and imo that's generally true.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've never seen or heard of 'em Rob.
Thing is it might look and feel ok but at the end of the day quality carbon and fittings arn't cheap for the maker so it's nigh on impossible to get a genuine quality rod cheap or anything else for that matter.
Check out the rods fittings and see what make they are, i'd imagine they're generic guides, same goes for the reel seat etc etc. I'm not knocking your rod by the way ;). I've bought cheap rods in the past and could instantly tell they where cheapo's when I layed eyes on them and handled them.
As the old saying goes....you get what you pay for and imo that's generally true.

West Midlands Angling Centre were the Chapman's Angling of the late 80s and 90s, having a big centre-magazine spread of discounted gear in the popular monthly mags. Their Pro Performance range (and lavish advertising) disappeared sometime in the noughties, and the 10ft Pro-Carbon Margin Match was one of their last introductions and also one of the first of the trend towards short float rods designed with commercial venues in mind. It's a feather-light, responsive, progressive-actioned beauty, with a max. recommended line rating of 7lb.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
West Midlands Angling Centre were the Chapman's Angling of the late 80s and 90s, having a big centre-magazine spread of discounted gear in the popular monthly mags. Their Pro Performance range (and lavish advertising) disappeared sometime in the noughties, and the 10ft Pro-Carbon Margin Match was one of their last introductions and also one of the first of the trend towards short float rods designed with commercial venues in mind. It's a feather-light, responsive, progressive-actioned beauty, with a max. recommended line rating of 7lb.

Blimey Rob, your going back nearly 40yrs :eek:.

mikench

Reaction score

Thank God it's no longer available Rob:rolleyes: