Marsh Harrier

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Been doing a bit of reconnoitering lately for fishing spots and spotted a male Marsh Harrier quartering the reed beds. I have never seen the male before and it was a real delight to watch it fluttering over the reeds in the way only harriers know how. Nice to see these doing their natural thing undisturbed, I understand they are increasing but still very uncommon. Heard my first Cuckoo as well and a Cettis warbler along with swallows coming in. feels good to see the back of the winter; still a bit chilly though.

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
That's the pleasure of fishing. The nature around you, makes a day of blanking so relaxing.
I fish by the South Downs and the wildlife is just stunning to watch.

flightliner

Reaction score
Wasps nest -- dunstan near lincoln always a good place to see marsh harriers.
A friend of mine was out Pidgeon shooting a few years ago when a harrier swooped down on a decoy, shrouded it before lifting off then dropping it some ten feet in the air, amazing sight!.

seth49

Reaction score
There's pallid harrier turned up not far from here, haven't seen on of these, there's a couple of nice photos on the ELOC web site.

Now about a week ago I saw a huge eagle, flying over the road as I was coming home from shopping with the wife,no where to stop so I couldn't tell what it was
Yesterday I see that a white tailed eagle has been seen, about fifteen miles from there, so it might have been that I don't know.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Been doing a bit of reconnoitering lately for fishing spots and spotted a male Marsh Harrier quartering the reed beds. I have never seen the male before and it was a real delight to watch it fluttering over the reeds in the way only harriers know how. Nice to see these doing their natural thing undisturbed, I understand they are increasing but still very uncommon. Heard my first Cuckoo as well and a Cettis warbler along with swallows coming in. feels good to see the back of the winter; still a bit chilly though.

I see you're in the Southeast Mark, whereabouts did you see the Harrier?

Steve Appleford

Reaction score

When moored up by Kings lock on the Thames we get treated to Marsh Harriers,Curlews,barn Owls and Oyster catchers..lower down the river a couple of spots see Hobbies whizzing over your shoulders we plod upstream in the narrow boat [well makes ya jump] and even a pair of ravens on a high cliff bit next to the river
Seen a few Cuckoos around the higher reaches Radcot Godstow etc but not in the numbers we used to

no-one in particular

Reaction score
When moored up by Kings lock on the Thames we get treated to Marsh Harriers,Curlews,barn Owls and Oyster catchers..lower down the river a couple of spots see Hobbies whizzing over your shoulders we plod upstream in the narrow boat [well makes ya jump] and even a pair of ravens on a high cliff bit next to the river
Seen a few Cuckoos around the higher reaches Radcot Godstow etc but not in the numbers we used to

Quite an array of birds there Steve and the Pallid Harrier fore mentioned by Seth. Hobbies are a delight, they seem to fly for the pleasure of it, some consider them the most aerobatic of birds. Often in a valley near me on a canal. I had them flying 20 yards from me once when fishing there. These things are often a very welcome bonus, especially on a blank day, it can make even these days seem worth the effort.

Steve Appleford

Reaction score
Quite an array of birds there Steve and the Pallid Harrier fore mentioned by Seth. Hobbies are a delight, they seem to fly for the pleasure of it, some consider them the most aerobatic of birds. Often in a valley near me on a canal. I had them flying 20 yards from me once when fishing there. These things are often a very welcome bonus, especially on a blank day, it can make even these days seem worth the effort.

My other half is into photography and has got some awesome shots as they buzz the boat at head high chasing dragonflys gotta love raptors ,we spent a day with a mates mate once flying Goshawks against Pheasants ...explosion from the glove is mesmerising