Short or long?

mikench

Reaction score
I plan to try a new pool tomorrow which is surrounded by trees and shrubs. It has a good head of tench and crucians and, according to the club, lends itself to the float rather that ledgering!

My instinctive reaction is to take my 10ft Drennen float road because of the undergrowth! However would I be better off with a longer rod i.e. 14ft Marksman and use it almost like a pole to position the float rather than cast it?

I also have an 11ft Middy waggler rod courtesy of a recommendation by Rob which I could take! What would you do and should I take all three and give them a try?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Unless you're fishing in 15' of water, fishing pole fashion with 14 ' rod seems tricky to me. Surely if you hook a fish you have to let line out to land it, running the risk of losing it? Tench and crucians can usually be caught close in so I'd be inclined to use a shorter rod and just swing it out . It will also be quite windy tomorrow so take that into account too....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I plan to try a new pool tomorrow which is surrounded by trees and shrubs. It has a good head of tench and crucians and, according to the club, lends itself to the float rather that ledgering!

My instinctive reaction is to take my 10ft Drennen float road because of the undergrowth! However would I be better off with a longer rod i.e. 14ft Marksman and use it almost like a pole to position the float rather than cast it?

I also have an 11ft Middy waggler rod courtesy of a recommendation by Rob which I could take! What would you do and should I take all three and give them a try?

Take them all and make your mind up when you get there. For the biggest part I use a 13ft rod unless seriously restricted.
I wouldn't put too much faith in clubs descriptions ;).

B

binka

Simon and Ian's advice is spot on Mike.

I would do it slightly different to Simon but they are only different ways of achieving the same end.

Your long rod might be still useful depending on where the fish tend to hang eg. at the bottom of a marginal shelf which may require the extra length and given that it's going to be windy it will help with the control of your rig if you can just 'hang' it beside the tip.

If you are doing that then consider using your pin as it's as near as instinctive as it gets to lift the rod on the strike whilst feathering the drum to let out enough line to be able to swing or land your fish.

There you go...

It's all perfectly clear now innit :confused: :D

Take the short rod, consider the long rod but have all just in case...

mikench

Reaction score
Take them all and make your mind up when you get there. For the biggest part I use a 13ft rod unless seriously restricted.
I wouldn't put too much faith in clubs descriptions ;).
H
I know why Ian! It's Springwood Pool. I will take them all and see. The pin might be a step too far Steve!

The pool is 10 ft deep at its deepest but I will be fishing the margins .

Thanks all for your comments! As I am clumsy I may wish to preserve the 14 footer for trotting:rolleyes:

I have seen this pool and it is surrounded by woodland and thus completely protected from the wind; I hope!

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
H
I know why Ian! It's Springwood Pool. I will take them all and see. The pin might be a step too far Steve!

The pool is 10 ft deep at its deepest but I will be fishing the margins .

Thanks all for your comments! As I am clumsy I may wish to preserve the 14 footer for trotting:rolleyes:

I have seen this pool and it is surrounded by woodland and thus completely protected from the wind; I hope!

There is no-one clumsier than me, Mike, and I've yet to break a float rod whilst actually fishing, despite clouting the herbage pretty hard on occasion. The Middy's a good compromise, but casting will be difficult if you end up fishing a fixed float in ten feet of water. Take all three and decide on the day, mate.:)

rayner

Reaction score
I'd fish as close in as I could with a ten foot rod, especially if there are Crucians. Where I fish for Crucians they frequent shallow margins.

shane99

Reaction score

get a plan & stick to it mikench

see what suits you & go for it :)

john step

Reaction score
Simon and Ian's advice is spot on Mike.

If you are doing that then consider using your pin as it's as near as instinctive as it gets to lift the rod on the strike whilst feathering the drum to let out enough line to be able to swing or land your fish.

Sounds just like magic. A great way to fish. Personally I have never found it irksome to let out line when drawing a fish in using a pin with this method.

When you get used to it , it is less hassle than that irritating unshipping a pole business.:eek:

To each their own though.

mikench

Reaction score
Trouble was there were no fish to justify/ ridicule any mode of fishing today.

I must try the pin more!!;)