Bite indication

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Just something never been sure on . I have been using a 1.5lb Avon rod for carp fishing it's fairly obvious of a bite from a carp . But if I use my the Avon rod for going after chub would chub bites while ledgering pull the tip ?

Or would it be better to use a quivertip with heavier tips , one of my rods have 2 , 3 and 4oz tips . I know you have to match the tips to the flow conditions, the river was going to have a go at is more like a big stream only around 10ft wide

I assume in the summer and autumn the bites are more positive?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
I alway use the lightest tip I can get away with. Chub bites can be aggressive but other times you get a very suttle bite that moves the tip maybe only 1/4 of a inch.
If your using the float tip you could find it difficult to see drop back bites.
About the only time I use the float tip is when touch ledgering mate.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Great ! The chub I have caught was only chublets last winter just after Xmas that was with my commercial feeder rod

trotter2

Reaction score
Your avon rod is fine ,its all I use when chub fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes, lightest you can get away with as Trotter2 says.
But be careful with those fine tips....... :)

There are always exceptions, but as a general rule if I'm after chub on a small river and the flow pulls a 2oz tip round too far, I tend to think I'm in the wrong swim or the wrong part of the swim and look for a slower spot. You do find chub in fast water, especially in low water in summer, but often they prefer a lazier life-style. Often a 1oz tip is better. You're not likely to sit for ages in one swim on a 10' river, so you'll find out a lot about where the fish are and what tips etc you need when you try a few different spots. Not scaring the chub is more important than your exact gear, you'll find.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you are expecting/getting small indications there is no better indication than your fingers, using braid will magnify what's going on but even with mono you will be surprised at what you can feel through the line.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For minimal resistance the open bail arm method is very effective. As the bite develops, the chub will be pulling line from the spool sometimes a few inches, but often up to twelve inches or more. Eventually the chub will bolt off and line will be stripping off the reel at a very fast pace. I believe it is important not to tighten up too quickly as it’s the speed at which the chub is moving which dictates the timing of turning the bail arm over.

I tend to gently take the line in my fingers once a bite develops. This then become a sort of touch ledgering with an open bail arm - Although there may well be a possibility of deep hooking a fish, as with other methods, I've found that it is easier to lose a fish if your timing of closing the arm is not quite right rather than the other way round.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I can go and get smaller tips but I use the rod for larger feeder fishing mainly .

I was planning to have a few days off work and go chub fishing on the Wye

nottskev

Reaction score
Matt the river Wye is by no means a small stream about 10' wide.

My advice for the Wye would be very different.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know it's not 10ft wide but was planning a trip for a day or 2 . What rod would be recommended? A 1.75 barbel rod ?

---------- Post added at 02:20 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

For minimal resistance the open bail arm method is very effective. As the bite develops, the chub will be pulling line from the spool sometimes a few inches, but often up to twelve inches or more. Eventually the chub will bolt off and line will be stripping off the reel at a very fast pace. I believe it is important not to tighten up too quickly as it’s the speed at which the chub is moving which dictates the timing of turning the bail arm over.

I tend to gently take the line in my fingers once a bite develops. This then become a sort of touch ledgering with an open bail arm - Although there may well be a possibility of deep hooking a fish, as with other methods, I've found that it is easier to lose a fish if your timing of closing the arm is not quite right rather than the other way round.

Never heard of this method before ! But on a small river would have to be quiet , I was planning either to ledger with meat or bread flake. Or even a night feeder tight to bushes or the edge of the crease

iain t

Reaction score
A 1.25lb or a 1.5lb Avon will be fine. I've caught 20lb Carp with mine on the river so you need not worry there. My Avons have very sensitive tips so i don't use a screw in quiver tips. Touch ledgering would be your best bet where you have the line on your 3 or 4th finger. Your finger will feel every and any movement of the line. For bread and meat trotting again as barbelboi said use with the bail open.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Trotting ? I would be ledgering mainly on a free running rig . Or would be best to have a go at bouncing the bait over the bed ?

I have a Avon rod which is 1.5lb and then a heavy feeder rod so best of both worlds there .

What lb line for chub ? 6lb mainline or is that too heavy ? Just thought as river is a bit snaggy

Last edited:

j1mealor

Reaction score
as others have said chub bites vary alot ive fished on big rivers and small rivers and the bites change from the size of fish aswell ie if your holding the bait in a swim for a couple of minutes to see if you get a bite ive had it that a larger chub has taken the bait and ive had zero indication up until ive reeled in that theres a fish on thats how delicate the bites can be (i now use my finger against the line for a more sensative indication which works )

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
Trotting ? I would be ledgering mainly on a free running rig . Or would be best to have a go at bouncing the bait over the bed ?

I have a Avon rod which is 1.5lb and then a heavy feeder rod so best of both worlds there .

What lb line for chub ? 6lb mainline or is that too heavy ? Just thought as river is a bit snaggy

Well I use 6lb for big chub in snaggy swims ,the lightest I would go for chub on the bomb would be 3lb any lighter and your risking it IMO

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As relatively new to chub fishing il go for 6lb but that is also what is on my reel for commercial feeder fishing too .

Thanks , now have to wait till the season opens again .

Was thinking of giving the upper thames a go around lechlade as that is on my club ticket but been told its been ruined by crays

chrissh

Reaction score

use a bouncing betty 6lb line and have more fun playing the fish rather then bullying the fish in (you don't need heavy line to catch big fish) a good rod and well set clutch plus Patience and experience

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have tried flouro for mainline but was not too keen on it , i like esp syncro but shame don't make it in lower breaking strains than 10lb .