WAGs! Lock up yer hair straigtheners!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
Inspired by a previous article on these hallowed boards, I have been investigating the use of soluble PVA in beach fishing. After all, why should the Carp Anglers have all the goodies!

My issue with PVA bags has been that, for beach angling purposes, their most obvious use is to support and protect soft baits during the cast. This is OK until you count the exorbitant prices!

Today, during a visit to the Tackle Shop, I noticed that PVA boilie bags are down to £1.99 for a "bulk" bag of 15 (still a bit steep). However, looking at the bags, which are about double the width needed for bait protection, I noted they seemed to be heat sealed.

SO! Being the POSB git I am, I bought a pack and scuttled home to try something out....... namely to see if I could cut the bags to size and seal 'em......... taking each bag down to under 7p each (which is not so problematic). A quick run on an experimental one, with Maw's lighter, indicated that PVA does lend itself to heat sealing.

That was when I saw my daughter and daughter-in-law in the kitchen, straightening each other's crinkly bits (on their heads you Pervs!). My daughter was well peeved, when I asked if I could borrow her brand new straighteners! However, my daughter in law had a pair, which tend to catch the hair, so are no longer used.

They work a treat!!!!!!!!!

Now I can go out, tomorrow evening, and experiment, not only with soft baits, but with a bit of oily crumb in the bags. (Sorry Maw, I'm nicking yer Ryvita!)

/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

E

EC

Bob I saw something on tightlines a few weeks back which helped the aerodynamics of castingand helped to protects soft baits on the cast also. It was a similar principle to the clipped rigs which release on impact.I forget what it was called, but it was a clear plastic item and itlooked the part for casting soft baits a distance.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Ec,

Are you talking about the D-Vice? I have tried them on my last beachcasting session and they are great....however, not very cheap at £3.50, considering you might loose them in a snag. Still, a good thing to protect you bait

c2935ccb.jpg

E

EC

Thats the one mate, I've seen lads using similar home made versions on the Mersey a good while back.

Did it work Claudi? Did it improve your distance at all, and did the bait come out as it was supposed to?

black ghost

Reaction score
BRAND NEW

Water Soluble Film

25 Micron

20cm x 100m Roll

only £25.00 on ebay it is one of the best kept secrets in the carp world up till now !

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Ec

It does work, the bait stayed in one piece and didn't come off....great for fishing prawns and worm when distance cast. You can use it on all kind of baits, would struggle to get a whole mackerel in to them though.

It does help with the distance cast too....although my casting is rubbish anyway/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif, so I never be able to chuck it more than 40 yards lol

And yes the bait came out once in the water, the water current simply flashes the bait out /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
EC the weights are fluted, so as soon as it hits the water the water shoots through the tube ejecting the bait.

when you think about the price, remeber that it includes the gemini weight as well, so not that expensive. my local was the first place to sell them and he shifted loads before Rob took them further afield. local lad designed them.

black ghost

Reaction score
are these not just a redesigned Bait Safe that we have had around since the 80s

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I'm just back from Gilkicker.

The first cast: the ammo on the hooks, Ryvita treated with bloodworm DNA and Green-lipped wotsit oil (just summat in my box) and the narrow bag clamped to the line, above a suitable bead (using horticultural wire).

2 mins and a bite!......... an average channel whiting...... and, while reeling in, a bout of coughing, loadsa phlegm and Hughie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back home.

Looks like it works well on a paternoster, so, once I'm over this bug, I shall try wiv big baits for the Cod, as they come in (if they come in).

Loadsa whiting off Gilkicker and Stokes Bay at the moment.

alan

Reaction score
whiting seam to be everywhere at the moment Bob, heard plenty of cod being caught at selsey and pagham

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
I expect them to come in in the next few weeks. There seems to be a lag between Selsey and the Solent.