Umbrellas and casting ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm yet to find how to use a brolly while using a float or feeder rod , I have the brolley in a bracket that is on my chair .
It's a 50" brolly .

Anyone found anything to overcome this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Others far more skilled than myself (not difficult) may have found a solution Matt but if they have they have not disclosed it! Fishing under or partially covered by a brolly is always going to be a compromise. I bought a large ( cheap) brolly which I tried to attach to my chair but it was fairly useless in any kind of breeze. I now have a Preston flat back brolly which is ok if it starts to rain whilst you are fishing and to shelter you from a cold wind. If it is pelting down I go or stay home!

I struggle for bites in benign weather and have never found that rain helps!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
B

binka

It's just one of those compromise situations which you learn to adapt to Matt.

If you're usually sweeping back on the cast to chuck a waggler you learn, where possible, to sweep back less and flick it where possible but it also helps if you can position your brolly and gear so that it interferes the least.

I find the most uncompromising position is when the brolly is directly behind me although it's quite rare for me in this position, to either side and it's quite a straight forward situation if you're used to casting over either shoulder.

I'm assuming you use your brolly 'mushroom style' in that it's opened and level directly above you?

A decent angle tilt (if yours is the Korum 50" it already has the best option with the additional, angled thread) will help you position the brolly so that you're protected from the elements yet still have an easy option for casting.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have a drennan brolley , I can take the center pole out under the spars and screw in 2 banksticks on the side so more like s shelter with the back touching the ground . It's ok if fishing on alarms but feeder fishing is useless . I have started not to use the bracket on my chair

john step

Reaction score
I look at the weather forecast on the BBC website before deciding where to go.
On wet days I try to fish with the rain at my back so the brolly can be pegged down behind me.

To cast I can either stand and carefully overhead cast or use an underarm cast which can be quite successful.
Using a loaded waggler a bit heavier than I would otherwise use, hold the hooklength and swing away. Its good for up to about 3 rod lengths.

I try not to use the brolly in an upright position whenever possible as I find they tend to wander off in the wind

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
I found there is no way around it. Unless you learn to cast from the side. I quickly pop out, cast the pop under again.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's fine when waggler or ledger close in but if feeder fishing at distance and hitting the clip on cast so cast from sitting position.

I guess il have to position brolly one side or have so the rod is slightly more forward on banksticks and sit a bit further back while raining while watching the tip .

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
Wear a waterproof coat

but seriously...wear the above and get up to cast then sit back down again under the umbrella after.

...mind you I am probaby not the best to advise here as nowadays I try and avoid going fishing when it rains...too many past soakings tell me its just not worth the effort.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I don't secure my brolly to my chair any more, I've seen two of my mates, have there brolly, chair, bait etc, blown into the lake, by a sudden gust of wind, when they have left there chair to do something.

It is rather funny to see ??

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes it's happened to me with my side tray and bait waiter blown all over floor , casters , hemp , pellets and maggots everywhere!

Keith M

Reaction score
If there's liable to be a few showers and I'm going to be casting a float any distance then I take some light hooded waterproofs with me to keep me dry and only use my brolly to keep my tackle and bait dry. Or fish closer in.

Keith

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, fixing a brolly to my chair is a hindrance and restricting so I wouldn't use such a thing...

Generally speaking I only see a brolly as a means of keeping my gear dry and I only sit under one if it is really heavy persistent rain, but even then I am always far enough forward to allow a decent cast and I also wear clothing and boots to allow this.
That said, I usually adjust my fishing to suit and if float fishing I will always fish closer in (which I like doing anyway) use a centre pin and cast under arm, or more, just 'lay' the float on the water.
The important thing is to have sufficient space for an unrestricted strike - surely the most important factor - and one that is not impeded by the edge of a brolly!!

Fishing in the rain IMO, is a state of mind in the first place, and if hassle with umbrellas, getting wet and being miserable is not your thing to begin with then best not to go out. Personally, I see it as a challenge and I do have to adjust to moving around much slower and being more deliberate in my movements, but once settled in my swim I quite enjoy the different kind of quiet it brings......

It must be said that being at peace with adverse conditions mainly comes from the walking I do throughout the year in all weathers, when you cannot base regular outings on what the weather man has said the night before. When I want, or have to go, I'm off out regardless and all the better for it on my return.

No, my advice is to try and embrace the conditions rather than fight them. Adjust your fishing to what is comfortable, don't try to do too much, buy a brolly that works independently to your chair and away you go!!

Either that, or stay home!!!

ps Doesn't always work though, and packing up in the wet stuff still a real bind.............................

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
The answer to the problem i have found is

cast sideways works most of the time i have an Advanta flatback brolly the pole can be removed and screwed back on the side to allow you to sit under with out a pole in the way .

But today i purchased a Basha which i used today quite good kept me dry anyhow not always useable thou as you need trees to tie it to but it does give a good space for you and your tackle .

PG ...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you have the brolly straight over your head like a mushroom just lean out sideways a little and cast or get out from under the brolly and cast.
Ifthe wind is driving the rain from one side just have the brolly tilted that way to make room on the other side for casting, pretty simple stuff really!

stripey

Reaction score
That's fine when waggler or ledger close in but if feeder fishing at distance and hitting the clip on cast so cast from sitting position.

I guess il have to position brolly one side or have so the rod is slightly more forward on banksticks and sit a bit further back while raining while watching the tip .

Cheers

have the brolly the opposite side to the side you cast, or immediately behind you, i have to say though that fishing under a brolly is a pain in the backside, i will tolerate then in winter or early spring when its not warm, but in summer when you get the odd shower i sit it out, because in summer every flying insect within a 5 mile radius will join you under the brolly.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Casting be blowed; the real thing to remember is never to use a throwing stick to dispense maggots from the shelter of a brolly. Those little beggars can be astonishingly invasive once they get under your collar.

greenie62

Reaction score
Casting be blowed;....

Same goes for trying a long distance catty load of maggots!:eek:
A slight shift of the brolly with the wind and your intended ballistic trajectory is suddenly curtailed! :eek:mg: Maggots everywhere! - except where you want them! :eek::D:eek:mg:

Thank you for reminding me of this Alan! :eek::D:D

trotter2

Reaction score
I gave up on one year's ago, a good Gore Tex army jacket does me for my needs.
If its too bad for that I stay at home.:)