Big fish on light gear

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Today I spent the afternoon on a local pond which is known to have Tench to about 8lb and Crucians.

I was fishing a Banjo feeder on a lightweight Drennan Competition Feeder Rod with a 6mm Pineapple Ooozer as hookbait.

No Tench showed up but I did manage to land a solitary Mirror Carp - all 22lb of it!!

The question is this - I was fishing with 4lb mainline and the rig was free running - is this irresponsible or would others fish just as light (bearing in mind that according to local knowledge all the big carp had been netted and removed years ago.)

iain t

Reaction score
I know of a Pike of 26lb caught with a Drennan Acolyte using 4lb line. The report is on the Drennan site somewhere. Also long as you know how to use the drag or back wind properly you can land most fish we have in the UK. It may take a while and fingers crossed there are no snaggs.

j1mealor

Reaction score
but ive just seen a post on facebook of a young lad catching a 30lb carp on size14 hook on 4lb line on a top 2 kit of a pole so just shows it can be done

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chrissh

Reaction score
My main rods for commercials are a 10ft Beastmaster commercial feeder & shimano 2500 baitrunner load with 6lb line I use a 4” 4lb hook length and a 10ft Beastmaster commercial float & 2500 super GT reel loaded with 6lb line … the heaviest line I use is 8lb on a shimano 4000 baitrunner & 1.75T/C Avon rod.If the clutch is set up correctly there should not be any problems ... a balanced rod and reel work well together

sam vimes

Reaction score
The question is this - I was fishing with 4lb mainline and the rig was free running - is this irresponsible or would others fish just as light (bearing in mind that according to local knowledge all the big carp had been netted and removed years ago.)

If everyone fished with gear heavy enough to cope with the biggest possible fish in a certain water, we'd all be fishing heavy gear all the time. The only way I'd consider fishing light irresponsible is if you were deliberately targeting the biggest fish in the pond.

I fish plenty of waters with big(ish) carp in them. There's no way that I'll be fishing heavy gear when I'm actually trying to catch roach (rudd, skimmers, crucians etc). I'd step up a bit trying for tench or big bream. I'd step up again if I was actually trying for the carp.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If everyone fished with gear heavy enough to cope with the biggest possible fish in a certain water, we'd all be fishing heavy gear all the time. The only way I'd consider fishing light irresponsible is if you were deliberately targeting the biggest fish in the pond.

I fish plenty of waters with big(ish) carp in them. There's no way that I'll be fishing heavy gear when I'm actually trying to catch roach (rudd, skimmers, crucians etc). I'd step up a bit trying for tench or big bream. I'd step up again if I was actually trying for the carp.

I agree. What I do think is irresponsible is not stepping up after a couple of lost fish. I've no time for people who almost boast about losing fish after fish. As a general rule if I don't think I can get the fish out I won't fish for them. Personally I think dragging ( say) tench out of weeds on 15lb line is as irresponsible as fishing for them on light line. In open water I'd fancy my chances against most fish on 4lb line.

I certainly wouldn't be fishing 10 lb line just because there is the odd big carp in there but if I was in a snaggy swim I'd certainly up the line strength. Personally on the odd occasion I do use a feeder is 6lb I feel most happy with. I am not, by nature, a fine line angler

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I often ponder the question.....is it in the best interest of the fish for a quick capture being hauled out on heavy gear or a delicate waiting game playing a large fish on light tackle, a battle that may take some considerable time?

I prefer the latter and dislike seeing fished hauled out brutally quick but do wonder who's right or wrong.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I often ponder the question.....is it in the best interest of the fish for a quick capture being hauled out on heavy gear or a delicate waiting game playing a large fish on light tackle, a battle that may take some considerable time?

I prefer the latter and dislike seeing fished hauled out brutally quick but do wonder who's right or wrong.

I too wonder about this.

It took me about 15 - 20 minutes to get the fish onto the bank - every time it saw the net it took off across the water and had to be patiently drawn back. With the rod kept low it seemed to prefer swimming towards me (mostly) with moderate pressure kept on the line.

I prefer to set the drag fairly free, and adjust it during the runs. My feeling is that if it's too tight the fish could snap me off with a decent lunge or head shake. I was told by another angler I know that it should be set so that you can only just pull line off by hand - this seems to be too much of a 'one size fits all' solution for my liking and as mentioned, doesn't allow for the lunges and sudden pulls.

I'm not yet proficient at back winding but would like to add this technique to my repertoire as it suggests that you have more instant control over the antics of the fighting fish.

The fish spent less than a minute on the bank and on returning to the water went off strongly with a flick of it's paddle like tail, giving me a proper dousing. It certainly seemed none the worse for wear after its ordeal.

Philip

Reaction score
In the past I recall reading reports in the times or mail from time to time of people in things like winter league matches on the canals landing some very big Carp on fine match gear. Some of the captures were very impressive, 20+lb Carp landed on things like size 22 hooks and astoundingly fine hooklinks with the anglers sometimes playing the fish for well over an hour or more.

Unfortunately in many cases although the landed fish would have easily won the match it was not counted either because the angler had to leave his peg to land it or he played it for longer than a strict time limit which any angler hooking a fish at the end of the match had to land it by.

….I always thought the latter was a particularly harsh rule. No idea if they still do it like that.

trotter2

Reaction score
A fish played for an excessive lenght of time definitely takes longer to recover. Compared to one skull dragged out in a flash. I think you have to be sensible about things use the correct gear when you can. Off course there will always be times when you hit bonus fish on light tackle its unavoidable. It's easier to land big fish on light tackle if you have an open clear swim but on the other hand virtually impossible on a snag pit.

theartist

Reaction score
I too wonder about this.

It took me about 15 - 20 minutes to get the fish onto the bank - every time it saw the net it took off across the water and had to be patiently drawn back. With the rod kept low it seemed to prefer swimming towards me (mostly) with moderate pressure kept on the line.

I prefer to set the drag fairly free, and adjust it during the runs. My feeling is that if it's too tight the fish could snap me off with a decent lunge or head shake. I was told by another angler I know that it should be set so that you can only just pull line off by hand - this seems to be too much of a 'one size fits all' solution for my liking and as mentioned, doesn't allow for the lunges and sudden pulls.

I'm not yet proficient at back winding but would like to add this technique to my repertoire as it suggests that you have more instant control over the antics of the fighting fish.

The fish spent less than a minute on the bank and on returning to the water went off strongly with a flick of it's paddle like tail, giving me a proper dousing. It certainly seemed none the worse for wear after its ordeal.

Sounds like you used a great bit of patience to beat the odds and get it in the net, I wouldn't worry about what anyone says.

thecrow

Reaction score

IMO neither is better, it does the fish no good at all to fight for a prolonged period particularly as the water warms and oxygen levels drop, similarly it does them no good to be dragged out on overly heavy tackle.

To fish for large fish on light unsuited tackle is imo irresponsible and just plain bad angling, of course there are times when the unexpected turns up and there is nothing the angler can do about that other than do their best to land the fish but I would rather loose a fish on light tackle than have it fighting for a long time.

john step

Reaction score
I agree with Skippy . I have heard sentences like.....I hooked 6 but managed to get three out. Not acceptable at all.

theartist

Reaction score
There are those who fish light for 'whatever comes along' knowing they have a good chance to get big fish in but also enjoy catching the smaller fish just as much but I think most experienced anglers can tell if there's no chance of getting a big fish out of a certain swim.

Also there's conflicting opinions about what tires the fish most, the prolonged steady fight or the quick but strong approach. One of the most famous big fish/light line exponnents once discussed this issue with a carper in my club and both had different viewpoints. The quote that stuck in my mind was "You can jog around a field for half an hour and carry on yet you can't sprint up a hill 100 yards full steam and do it again" Which is more tiring? who knows. Not sure if fish have the same lactic acid in their muscles but they must tighten up the same way ours do.

Bottom line is whatever way your fishing take your time when landing the fish. Keep it in the net whilst in the water for just a while, even ten seconds can make a lot of difference. The fish will get a rest and you can compose yourself after your epic battle. Think have I got my scales handy, camera ready, and of course unhooking equipment if needed. Do all this while it's in the net if you can.

Also fish like Barbel, Pike Trout and Grayling may need a rest when they are put back in. Take as long as it takes to hold them upright especially if you can paddle in the water with them. You can get some terrific photos whilst holding them either in the net or gently in your hand and let them swim off when they want to, you'll know when ;)

Do this and you should never have any fish go belly up

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I agree with Skippy . I have heard sentences like.....I hooked 6 but managed to get three out. Not acceptable at all.

Yes...those are exactly the circumstances I meant. I have had blokes tell me they've landed 2 barbel but lost 6-7 others as if I'm supposed to be impressed. Well I'm not.

I have also stopped fishing a couple of waters where the only way to get fish out was to fish 9-10 lb line and literally drag them out. Its just not sporting and cannot do them any good at all.

steve2

Reaction score
I once played a fish for over 45 minutes on quite light tackle it turned out to be a double figure barbel hooked in the tail. At the end I was more wornen out than the fish. The fish played me more than I played the fish.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Also there's conflicting opinions about what tires the fish most, the prolonged steady fight or the quick but strong approach. One of the most famous big fish/light line exponnents once discussed this issue with a carper in my club and both had different viewpoints. The quote that stuck in my mind was "You can jog around a field for half an hour and carry on yet you can't sprint up a hill 100 yards full steam and do it again" Which is more tiring? who knows. Not sure if fish have the same lactic acid in their muscles but they must tighten up the same way ours do.

Bottom line is whatever way your fishing take your time when landing the fish. Keep it in the net whilst in the water for just a while, even ten seconds can make a lot of difference. The fish will get a rest and you can compose yourself after your epic battle. Think have I got my scales handy, camera ready, and of course unhooking equipment if needed. Do all this while it's in the net if you can.

From my own experience using lighter (not too light) tackle and taking longer to land the fish is better for the fish. When trotting and using comparatively light lines and taking a spell to land them all the barbel I catch shoot off as soon as I release them.
I've witnessed people fishing nearby with 1.75 test rods and 12lb line catching barbel and they've had to nurse a lot of them before releasing them because they've gone belly up. One thing a lot of people do is to net the fish and bring it straight out onto the bank instead of leaving it in the net for a spell. Imagine being out of breath and gasping for air and then having to hold your breath....not good!
People keep the fish out of the water for far too long also and start chatting etc while it's gasping on the bank rather than putting it back and then have their conversation....that seriously bugs me!
I don't think most of the angling programes on the tv help as they never rush to put fish back. Wilson used to annoy me, he'd hold the fish for ages whilst gobbin' off and then say "i'll put him back straight away" ....:eek:mg:.

rubio

Reaction score
I've lost 2 carp in heavy weed recently, and others of course at other times. This was with what I consider heavy gear, 5lb maxima and a power float rod. Many other carp have been landed in open swims on this gear previously and is much heavier than I would normally use targeting silvers. Both lost fish were bigger than the near double I did land last time out on 2.75lb test curve and 17lb line. In the net before it realised what was up.
I often get broken by carp on this lake when fishing on the drop, frequently when 'proper' carp anglers have had no interest at all. They know perhaps when it's safe. I can't always be sure what will take my bait so have to accept some losses, but a short hooklength and a small barbless hook means I don't lose much sleep over it.
I worry much more about the lead core leaders I often retrieve from trees on opposite bank.

rayner

Reaction score
I find using light lines very acceptable, With the right rod of course.
Fish too strong a line will get fish out easier If the fish will ignore what I call tow rope lines that some use then that's OK, generally small hooks and lighter lines equate to more bites.
One thing for sure if you don't hook them you will never catch.
So long as an anglers tackle is balanced and care is taken all should be good, it's fishing.