what is this rod for

John Sayers

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been given an old rod and am not sure what it is supposed to be used for.
It is a cheap looking 3 piece shakespeare 3.60 metres long probably 1980's, on the butt is printed "1842-360-0 series, action B, 5.20gm" , it seems to have a soft action and has a threaded tip ring for a quivertip.
I would like to find out what it is made of and what it was designed for before i give it to one of the youngsters in my fishing club.
I would appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

trotter2

Reaction score
Could be a match rod fitted with screw end eye for ledgering which was common at that time making the rod multi purpose .
Can you post a picture

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Is it fibreglass, with a weird composite cork handle?

Edit - just noticed the "O" - The O series were graphite/fibreglass composite rods at the cheaper end of the range. The 12 footer is most likely a float rod (casting range up to 20g) with the threaded tip ring not an unusual feature on cheaper float rods, providing a one-rod solution for the young or cost-conscious angler.

Last edited:

John Sayers

Reaction score
sorry i dont have a camera or a mobile phone

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

it i too thin for glass, might be composite and it has a foam like handle.

trotter2

Reaction score
Probably cork sheet for the handle again the cheaper rods often came this way.:)

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Dura foam handle ?

John Sayers

Reaction score
Thanks Rob and trotter2, that sounds a likely explanation, the numbers and the handle seem to add up. I will have to give it a try to see how it performs.
Thanks again,

rubio

Reaction score
Put that thread end to good use and stick a swingtip on it. You too can be the curious weirdo on your club waters.
Use it on a commie and who knows what they would say.

terry m

Reaction score
Probably cork sheet for the handle again the cheaper rods often came this way.:)

I had one of those as a kid. The cork peeled away at the reel seating after only a couple of outings. I was heartbroken. Never owned another Shakespeare rod since.

mikench

Reaction score
Put that thread end to good use and stick a swingtip on it. You too can be the curious weirdo on your club waters.
Use it on a commie and who knows what they would say.

last week i was using a swing tip and two blokes walked past. One was clearly a fisherman and the other wasn't ! The latter commented to his mate that i had a broken rod;) The mate put him right in no uncertain terms.

The novice was shown how to add a lead to the line with a hook link from it and a boilie on the end. He dropped it it in the margin and had a carp within 10 minutes much to the annoyance of his experienced mate and myself:)

iain t

Reaction score
I've been using a swing tip over the closed session and i get strange looks from the youngsters. Others over 50 know what am doing at a glance.

John Sayers

Reaction score
I still use a swingtip on occasion also a dough bobbin or even touch leger, all very sensitive and efective methods especialy for shy biting fish. At least there are no high pitched electronic screams to disturb the peace and quiet when i get a bite. Who needs all this modern technology.