Catching fish on sausages.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I seem to remember in Rickards and Webbs "Fishing for big pike" a mention of one or both the authors witnessing a bloke trotting a sausage on snap tackle downstream one time....:)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Rolling a freelined sausage was the standard method of fishing the Lea backstream during the 60s.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can picture long trotting a large sausage past Binka whilst he was fishing and upon spotting it in the clear water he rolls forward off his basket diving in the river in one fluid movement and doing the man from Atlantis swim straight to the bait and just sucking it in....not line shy in the slightest....I reckon sausage would be my go to binka bait!

Philip

Reaction score
I heard sausages are a good bait for Walls Catfish

B

binka

I can picture long trotting a large sausage past Binka

It wouldn't get far past! :D:D:D

I'm still shocked at the thread title, it seems a waste of a good banger to me... :eek:

Joking aside there was a piece in, iirc, the AT many years ago (late 80's?) and I think they were using sausage to catch chub on a town centre stretch of the Wye where they reckoned they had become quite used to 'em along with chips that had been discarded off a bridge.

Sausages for bait and discarded chips...

That's two unthinkable acts.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

I seem to remember in Rickards and Webbs "Fishing for big pike" a mention of one or both the authors witnessing a bloke trotting a sausage on snap tackle downstream one time....:)

Can you imagine what his missus must have thought when he told her he was just off out to wobble his sausage? :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Tinned hot dog sausages have been used with good effect as a barbel bait for many a year now.........

flightliner

Reaction score
I've fed chips to Barbel on the parlour pool on the avon at Christchurch and caught Barbel on frankfurter sausage on a couple of the Trent wierpools.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
It's wrong. Just plain wrong.

It's 'against God 'n' Nature' as me old Gran would say.

There isn't much that upsets me when it comes to fishing - using human remains as bait is fine for example, but wasting a sausage, A SAUSAGE DAMMIT!!, it's blasphemy.

I implore you all, don't be tempted. You'll be struck down - honest!!

seth49

Reaction score
Peperami works well for carp and barbel, were I fish, it's always in my bait bag,some days they go mad for it.

peterjg

Reaction score
A food producer called Herta used to make a garlic sausage called Red Jak, it was a superb bait. I caught my PB carp of 44lbs 12ozs on it at well as quite a few 30s. I also used it to catch tench, catfish, bream, roach, eels, barbel, chub, and pike!

I was absolutely gutted when it was no longer available! I used to cut it to size prior to using and roll it in a powder made up of betaine HCL and garlic salt. For several seasons I kept it secret from my fishing club mates, I called it "Insomnia" because when used you couldn't get any sleep!! I was told that anglers used to go into the local tackle shop asking for "Insomnia" not knowing what it was - very funny.

Since then I have tried a few other sausages but none for some unknown reason have been as good?

iain t

Reaction score
I've used Olde Oak hotdog Sausage for years for Barbel, Chub and Eel for more years that i like to remember. I cover them in sticky BBQ sauce from the supermarket. Find the sauce a great attractor and gives a nice following oil slick.