Birthday present - Sheffield Centre Pin

Hogweed

Reaction score
My sons, have presented me with a Sheffield centre pin for my birthday. It looks and feels stunning. I have always wanted a centre pin but couldn't really justify the expense.

I have never used one before...any tips?

What line do you experts use for your river fishing?
Should I fill the spool to the rim?
Do you only use it for trotting?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes, they're beautiful things, aren't they? I'm sure you'll be hearing from the trotting experts on here. Here's a thought while you wait for the season: if you put 50 metres of 4 or 5lb line on it now, you can try it out fishing close in for tench or carp (or anything, really) and get used to handling it before you get going on running water.

Keith M

Reaction score
My sons, have presented me with a Sheffield centre pin for my birthday. It looks and feels stunning. I have always wanted a centre pin but couldn't really justify the expense.

I have never used one before...any tips?

What line do you experts use for your river fishing?
If you are going to trot a stream or river with it then use a line that floats well such as Drennan Floatfish or a similar floating line or treat your line with a line floatant or grease to ensure that it will float.

Line strength? This really depends on the river and what fish are present in it but basically If I am targeting fish like Chub, Roach and dace and I'm not likely to catch any Barbel or Carp then I will use lines of between around 3 or 4lb; but if I am fishing a river or stream that holds Barbel and Carp I will step up my line to around 5 or 6lb when I'm trotting.

Should I fill the spool to the rim?
No! you don't need to fill up your spool, in fact the more line you have on your spool the more problems you will have with it bedding in etc.
I personally put between 50mtrs and 100mtrs max on my Sheffield as I never trot more than around 50 or 60 mtrs; if you intend to trot 100mtrs then fair enough but I would still only load the least I need depending on how far downstream I am going to sensibly trot.

Do you only use it for trotting?
I am usually going to be trotting a stream or river when I use my pin, however I also occasionally like to trundle a bait downstream without a float using a pin, and I very occasionally like to fish close up for fish like Carp on a stillwater when it's possible, or fish the lift method for Tench as it gives me a lot of control of the float when I'm using the lift method plus I get a lot of enjoyment when I'm playing a good fish on the pin.

NB: its worth noting that you can get spare spools for the Sheffield so you can use different line strengths if you need to.

Keith

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Any tips? Yes, always engage the ratchet when you aren't holding the rod or your line will probably start falling off the spool. When you set up your rod and start threading line through the eyes on your rod, engage the ratchet or the same will happen. Sheffields have a nice bevelled edge to the spool, your thumb will become your best way to stop the line when in use. Both for playing fish and stopping the spool rotating while you engage the ratchet.
Practice makes perfect....

PS. Avoid using it on windy days....

B

binka

Just one more thing about the ratchet...

If you're playing a good fish and no one has noticed, just flick it on and it will get their attention every time :p

Hogweed

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I think that's good advice to practice on a stillwater first.

This maybe a stupid question but, should the line come of the top or bottom of the spool?

nottskev

Reaction score
Funny you should ask that :) There have been some theological discussions here on that question. Basically, whichever you find works best for you.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Thanks guys.

This maybe a stupid question but, should the line come of the top or bottom of the spool?

Bottom. There are those that will say top but that means winding backwards which just feels wrong. As a pin virgin I would suggest you stick with off the bottom to start with. You can always switch later but I doubt you will.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Thanks guys.

Bottom. There are those that will say top but that means winding backwards which just feels wrong. As a pin virgin I would suggest you stick with off the bottom to start with. You can always switch later but I doubt you will.

50 m or so is plenty. Any more and the line will bed in dreadfully and I would agree that having a go on a Stillwater first just to get a feel is a good idea.

They are not as difficult to master as some would have you believe and they really are great fun to play fish on. I'm no pin snob nor am I a pin expert but I will always choose to fish a pin if I possibly can...even on windy days when I really shouldn't.

Enjoy. The Sheffield is a very nice reel indeed.

robertroach

Reaction score
Top. There will be less loose line flapping about. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to winding backwards and then it feels strange to wind the other way.

You can divide the universe into two equal halves - top winders and bottom winders. They're both right.

davebhoy

Reaction score
Lucky you, thats a great present, its a lovely reel.

I use mine for trotting but also static fishing close in on rivers, i use it for float fishing in the margins and freelining and ledgering close in on still waters. I use it whenever I can, much prefer it to a fixed spool.

50m of Drennan floatfish for trotting or waggler fishing, a sinking line for close in ledger work or freelining.

I'm a relative novice and I'm not comfortable with line coming from the top yet, its only really an issue if you're worried about wind blowing line off the reel when you're trotting

Keith M

Reaction score
Top. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to winding backwards and then it feels strange to wind the other way..

I wish :( I've tried 'off the top' on more than one occasion over the years and I just couldn't get used to winding in the opposite direction to all of my other reels.

So it's definately 'off the bottom' for me, plus it makes the Wallis cast a lot easier for me to do when I need to cast any distance :)

As the others have already said there's no wrong or right way, it just depends on the individual.

Keith

Last edited:

Hogweed

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.

With regard to the top/bottom debate I'll suck it and see.

How do you go about laying the line evenly across the spool? Line off the top seems like it might be easier to control in that respect.

trotter2

Reaction score
First I think there is no right or wrong way top or bottom. Do what works for you .
After many years of using a pin (40) I much prefer the line off the top
I just find I get less tangles this way . Just one other little point I know a lot of anglers are saying it feels wrong to wind in backwards, yes it dose at first but it will not take long to get the hang of it.
Its very rare that I actually wind backwards I usually just batt the reel back lightly on the retrieve.
Thats about the only time I actually wind the handles is when I have a fish on .
Like I say no wrong or right way imo .:)