Homemade groundbait

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Does anyone make there own groundbait ?

I seen at my local animal feed stockists they have layers mash and vitalin I've heard they both can be used in groundbait.

What else is a good mix to try ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you think about the purpose of ground baits it is to "attract", to "stimulate interest" (by colour or taste, or both) and lastly to "feed" the fish.

To my mind I only want to attract and to interest the fish and yet to minimise the "feed" value in my ground baits, so that the main feed value is in my hook bait.

Ingredients like layers mash and vitalin will "feed" fish far more that they will attract. A few of my fishing friends use both but wizz it through the blender a few times to make sure it is really small particle sizes.

Personally, I stick to my own recipes of mixes only using continental ground baits, additives and attractants, and only on very rare occasions do I even add any white or brown crumb to them, again to reduce the feed value.

As in all things "fishing" there will always be alternative views and I'm sure you will get lots of replies saying how good vitalin etc., can be.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's what I thought but I hear people using in in past and it's cheap too

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I thought but I hear people using in in past and it's cheap too

I think that the cost is the main positive feature to be quite honest.

If Sensas or Van den Eynde mixes were equal in cost then I wonder how many anglers would use vitalin or layers mash in preference?

Many years ago when we fished those big festivals in Holland and Sweden then we would pack-out the continental mixes with bread crumb but only because we'd be using around 12 kilos per match day and the festivals were over 3 or 4 days . . . . . .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That is a lot of groundbait! Why do some fisheries and lakes ban it ?

To be honest I use more micros with groundbait. My local tackle shops only sell brown crumb in 1kg bags at £3.50 that's not much cheaper than known groundbaits

flightliner

Reaction score
Said it before on fm- google cookes seed n feed merchants in Rotherham.
They do their own at £1 a kilo , super stuff for sure that's done well for the users.
If you're forking out £3-50 for a kilo of brown crumb any postage with cookes should still see any buyer well in pocket .

greenie62

Reaction score
Does anyone make there own groundbait ?

I seen at my local animal feed stockists they have layers mash and vitalin I've heard they both can be used in groundbait.

What else is a good mix to try ?

Have a read of Fishplate42's blogs on his groundbaits, experiments and developments:How to drown maggots : Surf 'n' Turf groundbait...
Ralph includes recipes, additives, mixing methods and the thoughts that have gone into them - well worth a read!
I've tried his 2-dog base mix last year and it worked nicely for me through the summer - on rivers as a feeder mix as well as stillwaters.

The bad one

Reaction score
If you only use groundbait as an attractant, it doesn't take fish long to workout that what's attracting them has no food value in it and they bu££er off, looking for something elsewhere that will give them sustenance.

Much better to make the groundbait food into a fine consistency with larger food bits in it. Vitalin can be ground very fine in the food blender. It sticks together very well for throwing or catapulting out, but breaks down very quickly once on the bottom. When disturbed by feeding fish it erupts into suspension keeping them interested and finding the odd larger food source that has been added.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use liquidised pellets, buy skrettings pellets in bulk, £33.50 for 25kg delivered, then liquidise for grounbait, use as loose feed whole and dry, use as loose feed whole and wet, use as hook bait. What a versatile product.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I found out last night that pellets go well in a blender ! Using up all the bags with small amounts of different fishery pellets in .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I got a sack of pidgeon conditioner , but also got some crushed hemp bit of alsorts can go in as long all been through blender I guess

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
My local Tesco has their own brand bran flakes cereal at something like 65p for 500g.... I have often wondered if that would work, once its had a good go through the blender? Then add a few pellets, a little sweetcorn, bit of hemp maybe?

I guess one way of trying these things out is to use them on a method feeder on a relatively well stocked water... then see what gets the tip knocking best?

john step

Reaction score
My local Tesco has their own brand bran flakes cereal at something like 65p for 500g.... I have often wondered if that would work, once its had a good go through the blender? Then add a few pellets, a little sweetcorn, bit of hemp maybe?

I guess one way of trying these things out is to use them on a method feeder on a relatively well stocked water... then see what gets the tip knocking best?

Ground up cornflakes add add a good attractant to plain brown bread crumb.

cassey

Reaction score
Anyone know what goes into commercial ground baits besides the supposed secret attractants/stimulants? I wonder what the main “bulk” is and why, if at all, it would be better than say ground dog food.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I use the following : 5 parts Vitalin after putting it through a liquidizer to reduce the size of particles in it with 2 parts fishmeal and two parts crushed hemp then add Robin Red to take the brightness off it - mix it wet for a method feeder ,dryer mix for an open ended feeder.