barbel / chub in oxon , wilts or gloucestershire

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know i have talked about this perviously but i can not find the thread i started and i apologise for that .

I would like to go chub and barbel fishing once season opens but with family i cant put in loads of longer distance trips to the wye or Severn .

I have a section of the Thames on my club ticket from lechlade to downsteam of buscot if anyone knows it ?

Thing is there is alot of crays in the Thames whats best way to fish this ? or if feeder fished would the rubber lips come in and push the crayfish away ? or is it best to keep changing baits ?

I have been told the Bristol avon is not what it used to be due to the otters and cormorants i have caught dace and roach from there . An old match angler said that river is peggy and took him over 2 years to suss it out .

Or any other advice to a stretch or water to fish ?

oh i may have the odd day on the wye later on in year as my son is 6 months old but would like to get some experience up on a smaller river chubbing .

thanks all

maceo

Reaction score
I haven't really explored the Lechlade part very much, but further down towards West Oxon there are some crays (in by the edges mainly) but not overwhelming in number. You'd maybe hook 2 or 3 in a long session, but not enough to really interfere with a day's fishing or anything. It's no problem on the feeder.

I've never had even a sniff of a barbel in the years I've fished it, so I can't help on that, but for chub I'd recommend sweetcorn in the summer months - not least because the multitude of bleak leave it alone!

As for recommending an area, the section I fish on the Thames at Newbridge is nice and empty with space for the kids to play and there are 2 family pubs nearby - one where you can hire pedal boats too (can be a menace on summer weekends).

There's plenty of parking in the pub car parks (Rose Revived or Maybush). Entrance is through the back of the Maybush car park and it's £4 for a day ticket off the farmer when he comes round.

HOME

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know the both pubs well , I will give a go on my stretch on club ticket by lechlade but also got a bit over on Avon at Christian malford I may give that a go .

When you say sweetcorn do you go large or small ? I had a thought of liquidised bread and sweetcorn together in a feeder and a few grains on a 14/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk