Floating line?

chrissh

Reaction score
What do you use to make your line float?

Getting ready for a bit of summer surface fishing with bread for chub and the odd carp and want to make the first 6-10ft of line float. Will Mucilin work on mono line? … If so what one red or green

Tried google but all I can find is that Mucilin is used on fly lines, there’s nothing saying it can be used on mono

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes both of those will work on mono or you can use Vaseline.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if a bit of olive oil would be ok, it floats on water and it's not sticky like vaseline etc.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... want to make the first 6-10ft of line float. Will Mucilin work on mono line? …...

Yes - as said either will work - but the cheapest/quickest way is to pull the line through your hair near your scalp. This will coat the mono in the lightest coating of natural oil and waterproof it that way.
Don't need to buy/carry any line treatment around with you - if you've got your own locks!
Sorry Slaphead! :rolleyes::D:eek:mg:

ALuckyAngler

Reaction score
Red mucilin is fine for mono and what I use for fly fishing. If I run out then run your finger on the outside of the crease of your nose and cheek. I think it's called sebum and contains something called squaline.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud-wouldn't common lard do. A slab of it costs about 25p in the supermarket, would last for ever, just carry a bit in a little tin. Colorless and odorless more or less.
Talking of hair, my old man used to run his male ferrules through his before he stuck the rod together, never suffered sticking ferrules, sorry a bit off topic but just thought I would mention it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I always have a lip salve dispenser in my box, it's small and easy to store in a drawer. I use it mainly for giving float bristles a little more buoyancy.
It can also be used to make line float....

trotter2

Reaction score
I wonder if a bit of olive oil would be ok, it floats on water and it's not sticky like vaseline etc.

Trigger if you want to coat the line which is running through the guide's its best to use a dry silicon. I have had good results with a product called armour all, its a water based silicon spray.
It works Imo as good as the expensive purpose made line dressings on the market.
And is very cheap for the amount you get.:)

nottskev

Reaction score
A bit off the point, I know, but if you happen to use a closed-face reel for running water, spraying the whole spool with whichever line floatant seems to make the line run over the winding pin much more smoothly.

trotter2

Reaction score
A bit off the point, I know, but if you happen to use a closed-face reel for running water, spraying the whole spool with whichever line floatant seems to make the line run over the winding pin much more smoothly.

Yes it will do, you can also polishing the edge with metal polishing paste.
That makes it release line smoother also.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trigger if you want to coat the line which is running through the guide's its best to use a dry silicon. I have had good results with a product called armour all, its a water based silicon spray.
It works Imo as good as the expensive purpose made line dressings on the market.
And is very cheap for the amount you get.:)

I don't need to treat my line it floats anyhow T....don't forget I use sensor and it floats like a pond skater ;) :D.