Help and info about a day on the Coquet

spineron

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brand new here so firstly hello!

In July we are holidaying in Northumberland and my boys (both under 10) want to go fishing while we are there. We just enjoy a bit of spinner fishing so I am trying to work out what I would need to purchase wrt the type of rod license required (we're from Scotland so this concept is new to us!) and what kind of day permit to purchase from Northumbrian Anglers (Prices)

I'm not sure of the species i'm likely to encounter there so not sure whether to get a Trout pass or 'all fish' but the 'all fish' includes 'all waters' and for a couple of hours with the kids at Beggars Rigg car park picnic site in Rothbury, it seems a bit expensive!

If there are any Northumbrian's or Rothbury residents here, i'd really appreciate some guidance.
Thanks in advance

greenie62

Reaction score
Although I have loved fishing the Coquet and surrounding rivers over years past - it must be one of the most frustrating areas to try and fish as a visiting angler.
Because all the waters have been acquired by the Federation over the years and via different leases/agreements, the rules that apply on one stretch of the river may not on the next stretch, next month!:eek:mg:

The Handbook/Rules make an interesting read - most of the fishings and rules revolve around the Salmon and SeaTrout - it seems as if they don't count any Coarse Fishing except for that in the Tyne!
http://northumbriananglersfed.co.uk/anglers_book_2017.pdf

From my reading of the regs - it looks like the lads don't need a permit providing they're accompanying you - if you have a full season permit :eek:mg: - which you can only get if you're a local resident!:eek:mg::eek:mg:
A chat with the Head Bailiff may help clarify - his contact details are in the Handbook.

Methods of fishing permitted vary from stretch to stretch depending on the month and species targetted as well as the water levels. Generally speaking fly-fishing is permitted most places anytime - whereas spinning for trout is sometimes!:eek::eek:mg:

As an alternative - I used to take my grandson 'poddler' and flattie-bashing in Amble Harbour - with spinning rods, old spark-plug weights and a box of rag worm - from the harbour wall in front of the parked car with Nan sheltering in the car reading. Also handy for a trip round Warkworth Castle - well worth an afternoon for the family.
Best of luck:thumbs:

spineron

Reaction score
greenie62, thanks for the very informative reply. I had a look at the Handbook/Rules! There's nothing quire like taking an enjoyable passtime and squeezing the fun right out of it! I think i'd be terrified to fish anywhere in case I was doing something wrong!

I especially like rule 7 (b):
No coarse fishing is permitted in the River Coquet or its tributaries and any coarse fish caught must be killed and removed from the water.
Eh, ok! Don't you dare coarse fish because if you do, and you catch something, you can jolly well take it with you!

I think I will take your suggestion of Amble Harbour instead (and maybe add Craster harbour).
Thanks and regards