Hello from Dorset

cv01jw

Reaction score
Evening All

It all started when my son (10) asked if he could have a go at fishing :)

I bought him a cheap rod and reel combo and, after reading what feels like the whole internet and booking him a 3 hour taster session on a local lake, we went and had a go, catching a nice carp after about 3 hours getting tangled up trying to set up a float rig. My son is now hooked (apologies, pun intended), and cannot wait until June 16th when he can go 50 yards out of our front door to the Stour.

Although I have yet to catch a fish of my own, I am also hooked and got myself a rod today from a great little local shop. I am looking forward to getting out and having a go myself, probably at a local commercial lake as I don't think either of us can wait another month.

Thanks in advance for assisting with a barrage of basic questions i am likely to ask.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
G'day mate. Moved from Poole six months back but still fish in Dorset a fair bit myself. Welcome to the forum and there are some really good guys on here who'll have answers for every question. :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome to the FM forum and to the sport that will probably keep you and your son hooked for the rest of your lives once you get into it and catch a few lunkers :) :thumbs:

Having the river Stour on your doorstep is a definately plus too; you are very fortunate.

There are lots of good anglers on here who will be only too pleased to help if you have any questions. I look forward to reading about your exploits.

Tight lines

Keith

cv01jw

Reaction score
Thanks all.

For starters, here is a pic of the littlun with the carp mentioned above. Excuse the face, I asked him to smile and the this is what I got!

Nfvje5.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
Carp often refuse to smile after you've caught 'em.
Welcome to you both.

thecrow

Reaction score
Welcome to FM, I'm glad your lad has introduced you to angling, its got you now and you will never escape :) I hope you have many happy years at it.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yep, welcome. Plenty of quality commercial day ticket venues all within reasonable reach of Blandford. Not particularly my scene but happy to help when required. I've not long retired back to Dorset down Wareham way.

When you progress with you and your sons fishing joining a local club will open up more and different opportunities. Conyers in West Street, Blandford will be a good information point.

cv01jw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the messages :)

Potentially silly question No.1:

The rod I bought myself is a John Wilson Avon Quiver, which I can use for both float and feeder fishing, along with legering. But, as I read more and more I find other things I want to do, including surface fishing (simple rig of hook and bread) and lure fishing (there are, apparently, lots of pike in the river outside my house). Will my rod be suitable (although maybe not ideal) for these types of fishing?

Thanks in advance.

cv01jw

Reaction score
Welcome to FM

Your rod will be k for surface fishing but for lure fishing I'd go buy a lure rod , if you don't enjoy fishing lures then you can use it as a close in carp rod

Great, thanks.

Regarding buying a lure rod, although I live in Dorset I am a Yorkshireman and therefore don't like parting with my money :)

I have however been given an old rod which I am told is suitable for lure fishing. The rod is which is marked as a Force Ten Blue Stik by Gansel (Stik spelled like that). I cannot find any reference to the rod online, other than learning that Gansel are an Australian company who distribute cheapish tackle.

The rod has no markings on it at all relating to casting weights or test curve. Is there a way I can test the test curve rating myself, even if it is not overly accurate? I would guess if it is somewhere around 1.75 – 2 it would be OK for lure fishing?

travelsvacations

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hello my name is Thomas Tan And i'm New here.
Regards Thomas Tan

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

Hello everyone I'm new here i also like to fishing in summer vacation.
Regards Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Hi, Thomas.

I can't imagine that your kiddie's clothes link will be particularly effective here on fishingmagic...and Forums is not the place to promote merchandise. Please don't post further, similar links. I'll PM you shortly with the appropriate advice.

Ed