From West Virginia to Surrey/Hampshire...

plcoghlan

Reaction score
I am currently located in the US (West Virginia) but originally from Chessington, near Kingston-Upon-Thames just outside SW London.

I will be back in the UK for the first time in a long time next month and meeting up with a brother and the two of us plan to spend 2-3 days fishing somewhere. Ideally we are looking at coarse fishing on a river/lake in the country with access to a nice village with the obligatory pub. It would need to be a location where we could rent tackle etc.

Ideally looking for Surrey or Hampshire.

When I lived back in the UK I would fish in Bury Hill, an old CALPAC(?) lake behind Chessington Zoo and the Stewponds. Fished for Tench, Bream, Perch, Roach, Rudd, the usual suspects. Looking for something a little farher afield now though.

I have been out of the UK since '95 so am clueless as where to try. The preference here is somewhere rural/picturesque rather than full of fish but in an urban area.

Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
From posts on here Bury Hill is still going strong. Dont forget the rivers don't open till the 16th next month.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi welcome to FM
A couple of links to have a look at .don’t forget you will need a UK fishing license and the river are closed until June 16th
You can buy a license on line or at a post office

https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/when-you-need-a-licence
Rod Fishing Licence | Post Office
Bury Hill Fisheries: Day Ticket Carp / Coarse Fishing Lakes
Kent Fishery - Match, Specimen & Pleasure Fishing.
Surrey Fishing Lakes and Fisheries
Fishing Lakes | Fishery Reviews | South East and Sussex

sorry its a follow on from john's post

plcoghlan

Reaction score
Many thanks guys, I hadnt realized the rivers wouldn't be open but that isn't a problem as I think I prefer a pond/lake anyway.

Been probably 25 years since I was last at Bury Hill Lake. Will be a bit of turning back to the clock!

I will look there and see if they do tackle rental.

Thanks again for the feedback, appreciated.

chrissh

Reaction score
Many thanks guys, I hadnt realized the rivers wouldn't be open but that isn't a problem as I think I prefer a pond/lake anyway.

Been probably 25 years since I was last at Bury Hill Lake. Will be a bit of turning back to the clock!

I will look there and see if they do tackle rental.

Thanks again for the feedback, appreciated.

Berry hill rent tackle, drop them an email
Fishing Tackle Hire | Bury Hill Fisheries