Drinking Lake water

Philip

Reaction score
I am always looking for ways to cut down the weight of what I carry and one of the most annoying thingsiswater.

What’s your thoughts on using lake water ? I see different advice given. Obviously common sense needs to be applied and you would not use water from a polluted puddle but I met a Belgium angler a few years ago who carried a tiny osmosis pump with him (think that’s what its called) …basically you pump lake water through it to purify followed by a good boil as well…he had been using it for years and appeared to be alive so I have been tempted to get one.

What do you recon…good idea…or will I be dead in a week ?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Phillip, Try it and get back to us, if you dont we will know it wasnt the best of ideas/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Must be filtered and boiled, think about the number of anglers that dive into a bush for a "toilet" break, all that finds it's way into the water. Weils disease from cattle or rats using the lake. Some lakes are treated with anti biotics and chemicals for fish care.

I think I will stick to carrying a flask, or a bottle of water.

The bad one

Reaction score
Ron's the kiddy on filtration as long as he keep to the point and doesn't get side-traked in tails of SA/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

I have drunk lake, river, spring andstream waterin the past when I've ran out. The latter two I've drunk neat straight out of the water source when hiking and trekking both here in the UK and in Europe.

However, wherever possible you need to boil the water for 5 minutes to kill off most of the nasties.There are some nasties I'm lead to believe, can survive boiling.

If you are intent on using source water in front of you, then asensible approach must be taken. Use a active carbon filtration system to collect it, a web search will throw up many of these in water bottle form. Boil for 5 mins. Don't take water from a rat infested waters. Wade out and sink the bottle in deeper water to collect it. Don't take water from any water where there are dead animals in and around the watercourse.

My personal preference is for only using this type of water in an emergency situation when all other avenues have been exhausted. And that includes knocking on somebody's door and asking would they mind filling your container up.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ideally you must filter the water and boil it - especially is you are a cosseted white European.

I have seen people in Africa drink filthy river water direct and never come to harm, and have been doing so all of their lives.

Some activated carbon block filters will effectively remove cysts like cryptosporidium, but not bacteria. Very specific activated carbon filters will remove bacteria to a very effective degree. However no commercially available filter system in the world will sterilise the water. You need to boil it for at least 5 minutes to ensure a completekill.

F

Frothey

i always used to drink lake water and wouldn't think twice about it on a few waters i fish..... but wouldn't dare on others!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suggest its not worth taking the chance-better to carry the canthan someone carry your box!!

You might try your local Water Board-at least it would be something like an official offering.....but just think of all the rats etc that swim in lakes-is it worth it???

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"I suggest its not worth taking the chance-better to carry the canthan someone carry your box!!".....................Brilliant Tee-Cee

5gallon of water weighs 50lb, enough for a week on the bank. If you take the weight of the rest of your gear for a weeks stay it's nothing.

There is NO circumstance that I would drink lake/river water no matter how long it had been boiled, it only takes one lax moment.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yep I reckon its dodgy too, rats being the one thing that might make it very dangerous. I have drunk water out of the river in very hot weather having run out of liquid refreshment but I would think twice about a lake.

Try it Phillip and you can use your laptop whilst perching on the loo to write us a report of the consequences, a sort of running commentary if you like/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Careful Graham, that last comment may attract interest from a Warrington based through-put expert!

Neither Phillip's initial point, nor the loose feed directed towards the Warrington area, are worth the risk.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I have seen people in Africa drink filthy river water direct and never come to harm, and have been doing so all of their lives.</blockquote>
I'm no expert on the statistics Ron, but you appear to overlooked the fact that thousands of people die every year in some African countries because of a lack of sanitation and no clean drinking water.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Well personally have drunk out of moorland streams just brought it to a rolling boil and hey presto Brook Bond tea,but some stagnated pond not sure I would chance it without all the latest gizmos that you describe and even then not sure I could bring myself too when I could just walk back to my car for a two litre bottle.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have a small filtration pump from my hiking and camping days. Only took water from streams,still boiled the water and added purification tablets. All in all took several hours to get fit drinking water that could be described as safe.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Used to use a filtration pump and never had any problem, but the water can taste a bit chemically unless you leave it for a few hours.
If I'm boiling it then I'm happy to use it straight out of the lake/river but sometimes you'll need to scrape the daphnia/scum off of the top. Have never had a problem, even with Thames tea. I think bigger rivers are safer than small brooks as anything nasty will be diluted more readily. I've drank straight out of Himalayan streams though and never been ill.
All depends on how susceptible you are to food poisoning, etc, i have a mate and we can eat exactly the same thing when we go abroad, he'll be ill and i never am!
Depend on the venue as well though, certainly wouldn't be drinking out of the Grand Union Canal for instance.

B

Bully

Having had Weils Disease once, and as a result was off work for over 4 weeks.............I'll hump the water!

Philip

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Whatmore wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Try it Phillip and you can use your laptop whilst perching on the loo to write us a report of the consequences, a sort of running commentary if you like/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

LOL - full marks for that one Graham ..for sure I will follow up ...or should that be "follow thru" on my progress...

Thanks for all the replies, as I suspected a bit of a mix of advice....I was considering it for venues off the beaten track not inner city canals sort of thing...

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Isn't drinking lake water called Urolagnia? or perhaps piscurolagnia?

Corkey or Swordsy would know