Hello from Doncaster!

njosh19

Reaction score
Hey, just getting back into fishing after a few years. Can't wait for the river season to open to catch my first Barbel, hopefully on a float as well. In the meantime I'm building up my collection of tackle and fishing on stillwaters.

Quick introductory question, I have acquired a Drennan series 7 Tench rod, would this be suitable for Barbel trotting?

Thanks guys and tight lines.

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forum

If it’s this one it might be a bit to light for barbel … a 12ft 1.5 to 2lb test cover rod would be better

This is from the Drennan site

The Drennan Series 7 Tench & Specimen Float is a true all rounder. It’s the perfect tool for trotting maggots in the winter for chub but also lends itself perfectly for hard-fighting tench and bream on a summer’s evening. S7-tench-specimen-float-13ft This 13ft rod but it conveniently breaks down into two equal 6ft 1.5in sections with a separate lower handle, so you get a 13ft rod which is as easy to transport as a 12ft. This rod and sleeve arrangement is a simple but revolutionary design which is wonderfully convenient, easy to transport and avoids all the problems and tangles associated with three-piece made-up rods. This is made possible because of the unique and patented system of removing the bottom foot of the rod handle and storing this piece in a special pocket inside the supplied padded ready rod sleeve. The design also reduces the number of ferrules in the front of the hand, the action of the blank is also noticeably improved. This rod has a semi-through action blank with a fast tip and excellent reserves of power, yet feels perfectly balanced in the hand. Ideal for reel lines between 3lb and 7lb and hooklengths between 2.5lb and 6lb. Patented design Breaks down into two equal lengths plus a 12in handle section Semi-through action SiC Guides Fast Tip Reel Lines: 3lb to 7lb Hooklengths: 2.5lb 6lb Ready rod sleeve

a 12ft 1.5 to 2lb test cover rod would be a better rod

Link to Drennan…. Drennan Latest

sam vimes

Reaction score
Quick introductory question, I have acquired a Drennan series 7 Tench rod, would this be suitable for Barbel trotting?

Many people believe that the old Drennan Tench Float rods are the perfect barbel float rod, so I don't see why you shouldn't at least try it. If I were given the choice of an Avon rod or the Series 7 Tench Float (purely for float fishing for barbel), I'd choose the Tench Float.

njosh19

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll definitely try it but if it doesn't feel right then at least it's another reason to buy new tackle. :w

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi njosh, welcome to FM and welcome back to the angling brigade :)

Quick introductory question, I have acquired a Drennan series 7 Tench rod, would this be suitable for Barbel Trotting?

Although I prefer to use my 3 piece Drennan 13ft MKIV Tench float rod when I'm trotting for Barbel on small rivers and streams; last season I bought both myself and my son Drennan 13ft Series 7 Tench and Specimen float rods for the times when we wanted to carry our float rods ready made up and we've both caught quite a few nice Barbel up to just over 9lb on them so far using 6 & 7lb lines so I'm sure your rod should handle Barbel quite well as long as you don't try to skull drag them in too fast :)

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

strat100z

Reaction score
Where are are you going to be fishing? River Don,idle or dearne,i am a returning angler and going to start looking for my first barbel from the idle before moving onto the trent.Also the Don apparently fished quite well for the barbel last year.

njosh19

Reaction score
Hi njosh, welcome to FM and welcome back to the angling brigade :)

Although I prefer to use my 3 piece Drennan 13ft MKIV Tench float rod when I'm trotting for Barbel on small rivers and streams; last season I bought both myself and my son Drennan 13ft Series 7 Tench and Specimen float rods for the times when we wanted to carry our float rods ready made up and we've both caught quite a few nice Barbel up to just over 9lb on them so far using 6 & 7lb lines so I'm sure your rod should handle Barbel quite well as long as you don't try to skull drag them in too fast :)

Tight lines

Keith

Thanks Keith, I thought so with the feel of it. Quite a sturdy rod if you ask me. If anything, it will be the Barbel bullying me.:D

Where are are you going to be fishing? River Don,idle or dearne,i am a returning angler and going to start looking for my first barbel from the idle before moving onto the trent.Also the Don apparently fished quite well for the barbel last year.

Being in Mexborough, the majority of my fishing will be on the Dearne near Harrington, however I will also be catching the bus to Sprotborough and fishing the weir down to Hexthorpe. Never fishied the Idle as I don't drive so getting there would be a pain.

If you're ever looking for someone to fish with come June, feel free to drop me a message on here.