Shot( applying it not getting it)

mikench

Reaction score
How on earth would you manage to put say 3 no 8 shot on 6lb line? It looks an impossible task from where I am sitting;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
It can just about be done with some of the deeper cut stuff. However, only minimal contact or playing anything that actually pulls back will see it pinging off. The realty for me is that if I'm using six pound line, I'm not going to be using number eight shot. There's little point in being that subtle with your shotting when your line is as heavy as six pounds.

rayner

Reaction score
If you really need small shot to thick lines use stotz or ZLT slot shot. Both are in legal sizes and are cut deep.

mikench

Reaction score
I asked the question because I read an article about catching carp in the margins using a dibber float! The dibber floats I bought require a magnifying glass to find in my float tube and the recommendation was 3 no 8 shot. Clearly no point in using 2lb line for carp in the margins I would have thought!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I asked the question because I read an article about catching carp in the margins using a dibber float! The dibber floats I bought require a magnifying glass to find in my float tube and the recommendation was 3 no 8 shot. Clearly no point in using 2lb line for carp in the margins I would have thought!

Mike, don't use any weight and let the float lye flat or use a float that takes a bit more weight. You could forget the float and touch ledger ;).

mikench

Reaction score
Ian that's precisely what I will try! Should I use a carp rod or , as I would prefer my Hardy feeder or float?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Tiny little dibbers are usually intended to be used with a pole. When using a pole, people are likely to be using lines of less than six pounds (or hi-tec mono with lesser diameter). However, just because a float says 3x8 on it does not mean that you must use no8 shot. 3 number 8 is the equivalent of 1 number 4 or 2 number 6. Either option should be a little easier than trying to get 3 number 8 on six pound line.

trotter2

Reaction score
Your best bet would be to use Stotz.
I would bet your useing standard fishing line. If you use something like stroft, 6lb is relatively fine in dia and you should find it easier to get the Stotz on .
Standard line in 6lb and ordinary split shot is going to be a nightmare mate in small sizes.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ian that's precisely what I will try! Should I use a carp rod or , as I would prefer my Hardy feeder or float?

Get a 3.5 tc carp rod ;)

What are the carp size in lake , a nice Avon rod be ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I'd go with a rod of a pound and a half or there abouts....if you've got one. If I remember rightly haven't you got some of those darrent valley avon rods, they should be fine combined with that line strenght.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have Carp rods but much prefer to use Avon rods personally

mikench

Reaction score
Matt i caught a 24.5 lb common using a Hardy Marksman feeder rod . It,with a little help from me ,performed perfectly. I like a rod which gives me and the fish a fighting chance and a little sport. I have an Avon style rod!

I have a 2.75 carp rod bought when I knew no better( rod per species) which I have never used and which I probably never will:)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
End of day depends on the rod and how hard the fish fights ? K know some Carp to not give up much a fight and be in low 20's but a lake I fish a 12lb carp feels a lot bigger and that's on a korum 1.75 Avon rod . So you could have a light rod a land a big carp just how you play the fish Mike

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What bait do you intend using Mile? I've been dropping a huge lump of meat in the margins, any small shot would be inconsequential. I love freelining, partly through laziness but also the sheer simplicity and a line that has nothing to weaken it or bits to get snagged. Plus the fact, if you're stalking the margins you can keep a low profile without the need to visibly see your float when just using touch.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Slightly off topic, spotted this today, looks a bargain, I have two of the 2.25lb and they are very handy for keeping in the car.

https://www.kenttackle.com/nash-nash-h-gun-dwarf-rods-mk2.html

mikench

Reaction score
I was thinking of a boilie or corn! You are right of course and freelining is the way to go. I will probably use an elasticated bomb with a boilie; I feel an insatiable urge to complicate matters:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I was thinking of a boilie or corn! You are right of course and freelining is the way to go. I will probably use an elasticated bomb with a boilie; I feel an insatiable urge to complicate matters:rolleyes:

Honestly Mike.......keep it simple. There's really no need to be trying to put no 8 shot on 6lb line especially if you're using a sizeable bait for margin trufflers.Your average carp ain't the brightest of fish.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
mike how are the takes ? shy or violent ?

I was fishing the lift method yesterday with the float a small pimple but was so much chop on water i was watching the tip to move rather than the float rise or sail away . Rod was a 1.75lb even the tench i had moved the tip . Trust me if carp fishing in margins majority of time the bites are not shy .

why not use a flying backlead free running onto a swivel and tie on hooklink and watch the tip ?

mikench

Reaction score
I will need a diagram to comprehend that Matt!

As the French say " If the young only knew;If the old only could.;)