Redmire Pool...where the heck is it

malc donaldson

Reaction score
Does anyone have the address of the famous pool,i have checked all over the net for the actual where abouts but it seems a close secret....all i know is that its near Herefordshire,even the Redmire pool site doesnt give out the address unless of course you are going to book it....thanks in advance

F

Frothey

its only a commercial pond full of stunted fish nowadays Ron....

malc donaldson

Reaction score
well a couple of eastern europeans have offered me a couple of hundread quid if i can tell where it is...lol

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I know where it is,in fact my wife found it for me whilst on holiday in the area!

Not only that,she also managed to arrange a visit to see around the'house'(to which Redmire belongs)and during that visit she asked if we could walk around the grounds and the Pool itself to which the owners responded positively.It was in late autumn,a drab day,overcast and to be honest the pool did not look at its best,but I loved every single minute of that walk.It was a dream come true...I had walked the banks where my heroes had walked;Walker,of course,Hylton,BB,the great Yates and so many others who have written magical words of the place and filled me with wonder....

To some it may seem far fetched and almost ridiculous to hold a place in such esteem butI make no apologies for it-my heart beats a little faster even now,just thinking of that day

I was able to recognise the various'famous swims'mentioned in many,many books and drink in the atmosphere that had been part of my fishing youth.Never,at anytime in my life didI believe it possible I would stand on the Dam wall and gaze down the Pool.....it was truly something special and something I will never forget....My wife took some photos of me in some of the swimsand they are now treasured and much loved.

Perhaps it was the fact that my wife was part of that wonderful day(she being a none angler)or that she knew my desire to see that great place and worked so hard to make a dream come true..

I doubt I will ever fish there;that would be too much to ask.....

So,where is it?-sorry but not from me I'm afraid.Not being secretive or clever..it isn't my place to say and it would be like betraying a confidence........

F

Frothey

i've already betrayed it.

anything "special" about that place dissapeared years ago. its just a commercial venture for the owners (and why not?) and nothing close to 40 in there. waste of time fishing it.

many much more special waters around.....

quorky

Reaction score
if u google earth it the top of the lake looks like sum ones netting it

F

Frothey

can no-one see the link further back up?

it was the netting carried out a while ago..... you can see some "stock ponds" up past the shallows

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What happend to it Frothey? What went wrong?

I thought it was still controlled by a very exclusive syndicate?

Is that you with the net? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Been open to all for ages Steve, you have to book well in advance and its quite expensive.

Still a big carp water, but the days of record fish potential seem to have passed. I guess nowadays for the price there are much better waters avalible.

None (in my opinion) offer the same magic................

Redmire

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There is no secret about where Redmire pool is today. The real name of the pool is Bernithan Court Lake and can easily be located near the villages of Llangorran and Glewstone, just west of Ross on Wye.

I went there in 1976 and entered the estate with a good story on my lips. I met a Welshman who asked me what I was doing there. I answeredhim in my best South Africanaccent.

But I did get a look at the lake.

It certainly had an aura that I believe has been lost today.

The name "Redmire" was coined by BB due to the red mud in the lake shallows.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice to close it down for a few years,let it recover and just let me and two friends fish it........Frothey would be banned unless he was prepared to swim its length underwater and spend a week fishing 2lb line and 18 hook...............a puddle indeed!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds to me that people are missing the real point regarding Redmire Pool.

If you look at Redmire it is more about the 'history' of our sport, and nothing to do with 'catching' large fish.

Personally, I long to bivvy on the evening swim, preferably in September, just to be there.

It is not always about "catching"

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The Evening Pitch is haunted by an enormous green eight legged apparition. It has fangs 12 inches long that drip huge gouts of venom.

And the water in your kettle freezes up. even on a warm summer evening.

Ha Ha He He Ha .......Wwhhooorraaarrrggghhh!!!!

/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"The Evening Pitch is haunted by an enormous green eight legged apparition. . . . . . "

That would be after the 9th pint of cider I take it Ron?

F

Frothey

"Personally, I long to bivvy on the evening swim, preferably in September, just to be there."

shouldn't that be "lie under the stars, with just a tarpaulin for cover".... ?

not missing the point, its just the whole place has changed so much.... a lot of the tree's have gone for example, to me it just seems that you are paying a lot of money to fish a lake with not a particularly fantastic stock and people are using the name as justification for the price.

still, whatever floats your boat.....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Frothey,

You are right as I think I read that RJW's 'tent' was only used for storage.

Regardless of the current stock of fish in Redmire, for many anglers of my generation the place is still held to be 'magical' and hopefully one day I'll get to sit on the Redmire Bench and gaze out across the water, or to bivvy up in the Evening Pitch and cast across towards the Boathouse swim.

I've been preparing for this trip for a number of years, right down to having bought a pair of MkIV Carp Rods that have been lovingly refurbished. I doubt if I'll be using par-boiled potatoes on the hook though, nor will I have 'vintage' lines, but a pair of Mitchell 300's loaded with modern stuff.

You are also right inasmuch as it is overpriced, considering the current stock, but I'll pay whatever it takes to get on that lake especially if the week contains September 12th/13th.

Tight lines,

PGJ.

F

Frothey

why not just put a tent up at Billing? lol

i used to think the same peter, but know a few people (who aren't worried about catching) that were less than impressed when they went.......