Season tickets

chrissh

Reaction score
How do fisheries make season ticket pay my season ticket runs from January 1st and costs £95 for the year and working it out going 2-3 time a week I have had more than my money back this year.

I have the choice of 6 ponds / lakes to fish on site tackle shop & cafe
A day ticket costs £6.00 …. £95 ÷ 6 =16 visits.
is it the lump sum coming in at the start of the year that help when not a lot are fishing and the day ticket pay for the rest of the year

When I go to a different fishery and ask about a season ticket they say that they wish they could afford to offer a season ticket but the cost is too great for them

mikench

Reaction score
I dont know! A day ticket water (3 lakes and a loo) is on one of my club cards for one rod only which costs me £75pa. The day ticket costs £5 for one rod.

I reckon i have been there about 20 times since the beginning of the year so my annual membership fee is more than paid for!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris,

A season ticket is more or less a guaranteed income stream for the club or owner as opposed to the more hit and miss of day tickets.

Typically a club will estimate their season prices based on previous history and adjust accordingly, but the idea is to make it attractive enough to attract sufficient anglers without making it so cheap as to flood the place and thereby reduce the number of day tickets available.

steve2

Reaction score
If I were to fish my local day ticket lakes as much as I fish my club lakes through out the season that would cost me approx £600 a year. There are no season tickets on these, why the owners want to lose the day ticket money.
I know people who fish there twice a week and are paying out nearly £100 a month.

Wilko

Reaction score
Chris,

A season ticket is more or less a guaranteed income stream for the club or owner as opposed to the more hit and miss of day tickets.

Typically a club will estimate their season prices based on previous history and adjust accordingly, but the idea is to make it attractive enough to attract sufficient anglers without making it so cheap as to flood the place and thereby reduce the number of day tickets available.

Exactly this, it's a guaranteed income whether you turn up or not in addition to the day tickets which is where the money is made.
You turning up on a daily basis doesn't affect their profit, it actually helps, true that they would've made more by charging you per visit but if that were the only option then you probably wouldn't fish there as much and possible fade away all together so it's a gamble they are willing to accept for cash they can plan ahead with.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
My current season ticket is 75quid, I'm seriously thinking of changing to a different venue where the season ticket is 95quid, the thing that's holding me up is the ticket runs from Jan to Dec.
I still recon I will recover the cost if counted against day tickets so I think my mind is made up.
I think perhaps running from Jan to Dec gets money into the fishery at the beginning of the year when fisheries are having quiet times, so everybody wins.

Chrissh is your ticket for Alex's place.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
My current season ticket is 75quid, I'm seriously thinking of changing to a different venue where the season ticket is 95quid, the thing that's holding me up is the ticket runs from Jan to Dec.
I still recon I will recover the cost if counted against day tickets so I think my mind is made up.
I think perhaps running from Jan to Dec gets money into the fishery at the beginning of the year when fisheries are having quiet times, so everybody wins.

Chrissh is your ticket for Alex's place.

yes Alex £95 a year and can use 2 rods

Keith M

Reaction score
It's not always just the the money, the average day ticket angler often doesn't need to be bothered to look after a fishery or its fish; whereas a club member or season ticket holder will tend to look after their fishery and its fish else chance being thrown out of the club or losing their season ticket without getting their money refunded; therefore it's in the fisheries interests to have season ticket holders or members who care for the fishery rather than day ticket anglers who may only be there for a few hours.

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

Wouldn't it be nice if club books ran like the rod licence now runs, for twelve months from the date of purchase.

I thoroughly understand why this would be a potential nightmare for clubs in relation to administration and budgeting and I'm not for one minute suggesting it should be done...

But it would be nice :)

iain t

Reaction score
I belong to 3 clubs, in all it costs me over £100 per year for 1 to 3 rods.(Disabled discount) That's 15 still waters and sections of the upper and lower Arun, Sussex Rother rivers. If i had to buy day tickets for the same waters( which they don't do day tickets) i could afford no more than a couple of sessions per month. So clubs make more sense to me and my wallet. Others may feel the need to travel more in search of new venues every week. It's all each to their own and wallets

stripey

Reaction score
Cannot for the life of me understand why people fish commies, i have only fished them on two occasions, although the last time was quite enjoyable i caught 30 ide 5 mirror carp and a few roach and rudd for around 40lb, but when i thought about it later after getting home i realised its all-out the pennies, on this particular commie you had to buy there feeder pellets so the price for the day went up another £1.50p so £6-50p a day, so keeping it simple if i go 10 times its 60quid, i am a member of 3 clubs and can fish 4 stillwaters and approx 4 miles of the upper trent ane 3 miles of the river mease for a combined price of £76, i am a senior member so get a reduction on 1 of the club waters, but if i was a younger member it would still be cheaper to join a club,and don't forget clubs are fish welfare orientated rather the £ orientated.

thecrow

Reaction score
don't forget clubs are fish welfare orientated rather the £ orientated

I really don't know how you can say that, plenty of clubs allow anglers to use keepnets when other than in a match there is no need for them, other clubs no matter how exclusive have members that have no idea (or care) about fish welfare this applies on rivers and still waters alike.

Not £ orientated? some clubs have huge reserves in the bank and yet continue to increase the cost of belonging year on year.

---------- Post added at 08:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Cannot for the life of me understand why people fish commies, i have only fished them on two occasions

How you can form an opinion after fishing a commercial only twice I don't know even if it was two different waters its a very small sample.

Some fish them because they enjoy them others because of good access others because they may not have the finances to join a club with paying a lump sum, I fish them now and again and have to say most times I am the only one fishing the water.

Without them I doubt that the dwindling number of anglers would be what it is today, strange how trout put and take fisheries don't receive the same criticism from anglers.

seth49

Reaction score
I'm a member at the Stillwater fishery I go to the most, it used to be day ticket but the owner had problems with things being taken, from his farm.
So for £155 a year I can go a often as I like, usually twice a week, in good weather, and when it's suitable in winter.

I'm also a member of a club on the ribble, which has several stretches on the ribble and Calder. Also some Stillwater fishing as well, think that costs me £80 with my senior member discount.

So for £235. I have all the fishing I need, there's a good variety of species to fish for, and I'm happy with the places I've got, I'm into my third year of retirement now, so I've plenty of time to go,this retirement lark is brilliant, after working for fifty years continually since I left school at fifteen, I'm enjoying the change, always busy though,always something to do.?

Keith M

Reaction score
I belong to two clubs which both have an £80-ish adult membership fee.

One of the clubs has a very restricted membership with a long waiting list to join and only has one water which is a very beautiful remote private estate lake where you can often have the whole lake to yourself.
NB: I was awarded a free life membership to this club for services rendered over the years.

My second club currently has around 2000 members and has around 20 different still and running water venues all over Herts, Beds and Essex including free fishing at a commercial fishery in Essex for those that like such things (not me :))
NB: I have a £45 disabled/pensioner membership Lol.

So why should I want to pay for any day tickets?

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Over the last few years I have had the same ticket.
If the sun is out the fishery gets very busy, inclement weather or as soon as it turns cold it's deserted.
That's the reason commercial fisheries look after their match men, generally they are the only anglers who fish throughout the year. Most anglers who fish for fun can't get their head around this, or just like to moan that the match angler seems to get looked after. I don't fish matches these days
Season tickets are the life blood of fisheries who need the turnover to pay staff.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So why should I want to pay for any day tickets?

Keith

I would imagine there is a few reasons why people would prefer day tickets...

..your not obliged to fish your club waters to justify spending the money, to get your moneys worth.

..your not having to front any large chunks of coin in one go, unless of course your going to one of the very expensive day ticket waters.

..It gives you the freedom to try out a new venue across the country or abroad every time you go fishing.

Obviously there's more reasons why people choose to fish day ticket waters but those are possibly some of them.
I'm a member of two clubs but every now and again I do pay for a days fishing somewhere else if I fancy it. This isn't very often though as I have so many waters to choose from on my club books!

Keith M

Reaction score
I do buy the very occasional day ticket if I'm on holiday somewhere or when I'm fishing with a friend on a non club water or if I fish a team match on a different venue but it's very rare for me to have to dip my hands into my pockets (as my drinking pals will tell you) ; and I'm not even a Yorkshire man, or a scotsman :):))

Keith

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Keith.

There is something in what you say. Day ticket waters have more trash/rubbish about than season ticket waters I've found. Even when they have bins around the lakes. On my waters I actively pick up litter, something I don't do on ticket waters? Agree too about fish welfare.

My waters are season ticket £125 p.a. I think its good value. I would impose a ban on any angler found with litter in or beside their swim.

Welfare. For me nothing worse ON commercial waters. Some of the worse most ugly carp (if their can be such a thing) damaged mouths, fins and tails. Its down to speed fishing in my humble opinion. But also day anglers taking big carp out of the water up the bank to weigh them. :eek:

I watched a chap take every carp out of the water, laid it on the bank, photo, weighed, then dropped back into the water from three feet. All the fish were peas in a pod so why you need a photo of a dozen 5/8lb carp I have no idea?:eek:mg:

Sorry off topic AGAIN!!:wh