Oakley Road Fishery

fishplate42

Reaction score
Living here in South East London, I am fairly limited as to where to fish. Traffic is a concern too. I live just inside the South Circular and getting anywhere between 06:00 and 10:00 in the morning is a complete waste of time. For this reason I leave early and then I need to drive for an hour before anywhere is open. That is why all my fishing trips are exactly that, a trip. What I have been looking for is somewhere locally to fish, somewhere I do not need to make a day of it. It turns out that I have a fishery on the doorstep that is almost perfect.

34286045440_0541537fed_c.jpg

Looking at this photograph it is hard to believe it is right in the middle of an urban environment.

As it is only a few miles from where I live, I have driven past Oakley Road Fishery many times and dismissed it as it is situated right next to a couple of major roads. How wrong I was. I decided to give it a go last Friday and my greatest fear was dismissed within a few minutes. The traffic noise just melts away and I hardly noticed it. I have now found a nice place to fish, close to home and perfect for that short session on a summer's afternoon. You can read about my day here. I caught lots of fish and I only took a float rod with me and not much else. Easy, comfortable fishing. I should have tried it ages ago. The morel of this story is you never know what a place is going to be like until you (Me!) actually try it.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
As usual, i enjoyed your story Ralph and am pleased you have found somewhere close by! We cannot always go fishing for an entire day and who wants to sit in traffic!

greenie62

Reaction score
Glad you've found somewhere closer to home to get your 'fix', Ralph!
Another good write-up on the blog. :thumbs:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good to see you fishing and see you on FM Ralph:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well one man's meat and all that. I have passed it many times and didn't fancy it at all. Two main roads very near by put me off.

Have you thought about Edenbridge and District? They have some very nice secluded waters less than half hour from there including some good stretches of river and for a small supplement you can fish Bough Beech Reservoir and also Weirwood Reservoir for free. Nice people too, very friendly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fishplate42

Reaction score
Well one man's meat and all that. I have passed it many times and didn't fancy it at all. Two main roads very near by put me off.

It was the roads that stopped me calling in there for the past few years. I am very noise sensitive and thought it would be awful. I was really surprised how the noise seems to just fade away once I started fishing.

I know places like Edenbridge exist and I do go to all sorts of other waters and fisheries that are a drive away. For me the good thing about Oakley Road is that is it only a few miles from where I live and I can get there easily for a short session. Oakley road may not suit all, but I like it for a change :)

Ralph.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you enjoy it then that's all that really matters Ralph.

My previous boss liked to fish there and he took his daughters, from what he told me they had a great time. I took my grandchildren to Hawkhurst fish farm, which I stumbled upon by accident and they also had a great time. They want to go again and after all if you can enthuse others or get enjoyment yourself, then what could be better.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk