What’s your next angling adventure?

B

binka

Anyone got anything in particular planned over the coming weeks by way of their next angling adventure?

I’ve been bitten by the eel bug again after losing a whopper at the weekend and I reckon I’m onto something with the approach, I’ll likely give it at least a couple of day sessions when I feel the conditions are right in addition to an overnighter or two in search of a big snig.

Last year’s attempts produced nothing but one of the bites last Sunday taught me an awful lot and with all the other tweaks I have lined up I reckon I could be onto a winner.

With hindsight, I also think that the bites which I reported I missed the previous day were also eels.

So, what’s your next angling adventure?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I'd love to get after some crucians- big would be nice but doesn't matter, just to catch something I haven't caught in years would be nice.

That and the river season, new banks to tread and it's a calendar month from today. Roll on.....:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Whatever it is you know that I wont be fishing for watery snakes Ugghh I cant stand the things as fascinating as their lifestyle is.

Been trying to get out for some roaching for the last 2 weeks with no success with the bathroom being done (found a leak tonight :mad: ) I am determined that I shall get out for them very soon.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting my bivvy out and my 6 carp rods, alarms etc.
I plan to spend a week poaching on my local pit, smoking dope, shouting, swearing and getting ****** up. I have invested in a big mallet to bang my banksticks in and an industrial headlamp to dazzle anyone one else unfortunate enough to fish the same place.
I won't be taking any food as I intend to roast all the carp I catch on a big campfire.

Can't wait.....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Anyone got anything in particular planned over the coming weeks by way of their next angling adventure?

I’ve been bitten by the eel bug again after losing a whopper at the weekend and I reckon I’m onto something with the approach, I’ll likely give it at least a couple of day sessions when I feel the conditions are right in addition to an overnighter or two in search of a big snig.

Last year’s attempts produced nothing but one of the bites last Sunday taught me an awful lot and with all the other tweaks I have lined up I reckon I could be onto a winner.

With hindsight, I also think that the bites which I reported I missed the previous day were also eels.

So, what’s your next angling adventure?
Trouble with eels is that once they start spawning they're a very devil to catch....

mikench

Reaction score
I will stick to the tench but adventurous it is not!:)

Sea fishing beckons over the next week or so!

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Like Mike I'm still gunning for the Tench. So far this year I've got to 4lb 12oz and I know that the lake holds some up to 7lb so that's the challenge.

Once the rivers are open I don't care what I catch as long as I can spend at least one whole day (at least 14hrs) per week sitting on the bank, watching the wildlife and getting away from it all.

Having said that I've never caught a Barbel.......

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Having stopped the barbel hunt after many years of success I have now moved onto lure fishing.

I have just picked up a heavy outfit to chuck 300mm lures upto a weight of 150g. I'm looking forward to putting some hours in over the coming weeks to see how it goes. Will be better when the river is open. I already have the first day booked off work.

Then in August I'm in Dorset so I'm going to have my first go at wreck fishing from a boat. It's all exciting stuff right now for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I fully intend to go fishing at some point in the next month. Whether I get the time or have the required enthusiasm is another matter entirely.

shane99

Reaction score

I’ve been bitten by the eel bug again after losing a whopper at the weekend and I reckon I’m onto something with the approach, I’ll likely give it at least a couple of day sessions when I feel the conditions are right in addition to an overnighter or two in search of a big snig

I know you like your Perch binka, same here & I too fancy a large eel. Took one the other sunday after Perch with Lobs and those circle hooks really saved a lot of hassle , I presume your approach was Perch orientated (?) can you elaborate as I am curious :)

Did think a while about starting a thread to see who's interested in eels & their approach but thought I might be hounded off the forum :eek:

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I am going to fish between two carp anglers and copy Peter Crabtree's adventure.

Roll on the river season where there is solitude - actually that's not true, I do have club lakes which are quiet and beautiful.

Last edited:
B

binka

Did think a while about starting a thread to see who's interested in eels & their approach but thought I might be hounded off the forum :eek:

Well I reckon it would be a good thread mate, I'd be interested and I'd be very surprised if others weren't :)

I'll drop you a pm on the eel approach I'm going to take as it's largely untested and you are right in that it's a tweaked version of what I've been doing for the perch and which accidentally accounted for the interest I had from eels over the weekend.

I reckon part of that was just being in the right place at the right time hence making a few tweaks to make a run or two a bit more likely but the basis of it all seems solid in principle.

steve2

Reaction score
Nothing at all planned giving it a bit of a miss at the moment. Looking forward to the start of the river season and some small stream chub fishing. Might try to get a days tench fishing in on Friday.
From next week I am tied up for a few weeks with exam invigilating. Good luck to anyone taking their exams

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A couple more trips to a creek I have been trying, its been a bit of a forlorn exercise so far but I am expecting Mullet to move in sometime during the summer. Apart from that Bass and a bit of float fishing for mackerel when they arrive, I always enjoy that. Found a few interesting new places to coarse fish lately so tempted but at £6 a day license, £3 was friendlier; so I don't know but I do still live in the days of groats and half farthings because I earn the equivalent which has just given me an idea, I have yet to fill in my tax assessment, I think I will convert it to groats and half farthing; wind the b-------- up..
Its a shame you don't live my way Binka as eels are ten a penny, big as well, regularly 2-4lb but they are a pain and there's something of the underworld about them; I am sure that's where they really spawn and why they are immortal. However, I wish you luck in your quest.

Just a note Binka-I remember once I mixed some paste with flour and raw banana, it had turned black by the time I arrived at the river, the eels loved it-an eel a cast almost. I know baits are legion for eels but just thought I would mention it, something a bit off and rotten, I think its the smell that attracts them-might be worth a try as something different.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I reckon Binks is going to find some of those discarded by supporters Man United socks and put the red wool around his wrigglers.

I was hoping to get to Chilliwack again for sturgeon but now a no go. So it's feathers at West Bay Dorset instead!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I have to be honest and say the most interesting aspect of my fishing at the moment is seeing just how much its starting to occupy my 10 year old son's little brain! Been a bit of a revelation over the last few months as his attention span - and desire to catch bigger fish - have both improved. He's just starting to put the feelers out on being let off the leash, having his own rod and kit and fishing by himself rather than rod-sharing with me.... not quite there yet, but in my misty-eyed paternal rose-coloured spectacles, I can see a fishing companion and partner in the future. Next challenges will be a tench only lake at the end of May and then a trip to the Wye in the middle of June. He's only ever caught one tench, on a method feeder - "That's not the way I want to do it dad, I want to get one on the float rod...." and he's never caught a barbel. Fingers crossed.....

john step

Reaction score
Just to keep up fishing in my normal venues until the weather is suitable for me to get my tent out from the garage.

I have in mind a local campsite cum fishery where I can spend a few days chilling out without having the hassle of packing up the tackle and driving home after each day.

Then whilst there is still camping weather I am sure I can hear the Swale calling me!

I am just hoping time goes slow enough to give the Trent a good going over:)

Trouble is we only get one lifetime.

Last edited: