Welbeck Great Lake, Nottinghamshire.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
All, I'm considering membership to the estate lake at welbeck.

I hope that someone on here knows what it's like, I have fished Clumber several times that welbeck feeds into but Clumber come the summer is virtually unfishable due to the amount of weed.

Does anyone know if welbeck suffers with the same issue come summer? I don't want to spend over £100 on a pass if I can only fish it a couple of months out of the year.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norfolker

Reaction score
Hi
It was over 10 years ago when I had a Welbeck book, but I remember fishing all 3 lakes through the summer without much weed trouble. They're all fairly deep near the dam end (deeper than Clumber I seem to remember)

Dont know if its changed, but when I fished there you couldn't fish sundays (the knobs were shooting there I think) and the closed season applied.

This only left saturdays June to march for me, so wasn't getting my moneys worth .

Stunning place to fish though, the roach fishing in the autumn was unbelievable.

Dave

B

binka

My understanding of the Sunday fishing ban is that it is a legacy of the former Lady Anne Bentinck.

I don't know how accurate that is but it's a shame about the Sunday fishing ban which put me off despite living within ten minutes of the estate, I've heard it's still very prolific but not without its problems due to EE's.

I have a very brief recollection and input on the Great Lake from when I was invited to fish a few hours on a duck decoy where three of us took twenty seven pike in three hours one Sunday morning with me netting one of 28lb.

At one point I was snagged up on a sink and draw herring of some 1lb or so and with some oomph it shot free, only to land in the reed bed behind me which was the Great Lake and where an almighty swirl then occurred and I struck into fresh air, retrieving only a set of baitless trebles.

I kid you not.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Thanks all for your feedback it's greatly appreciated. I must admit I think I'm going to give it a try.

The no fishing Sundays is a bit of a pain but I'm lucky enough to be in the fortunate position of being in a family business so the hours and days I work are dictated by me. So I can always get around that little issue quite easy.

I think considering how it used to fish, it's got to be worth a gamble and it would be convenient as it's only about 15min drive from my home and office.

I will have to make sure after putting some hours into it that I post a bit of a report on here to give an update on how it's fishing now.

Looking forward to it.

Nothing better IMO than walking the margins ether on the bank or in waders searching for those big pike to come and bite. Specially as they normally take at my feet when I'm wading and I almost end up on my ass in the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk