What we know, and what we say?

dicky123

Reaction score
I'm currently fishing some gravel pits in the Nottingham area. When i started clearly I wanted to fish out all I could about the lakes, so I asked everyone I could. I got a very varied response form those I talked to.

From loads of carp in them all, big tench in the smallest and biggest, loads of bream in the biggest, but nothing big. Big bream in the smaller pit, but only a few. Every single person I asked gave me a different answer.
One of the bailiffs told me one lake had 30+ 30s. A local said there was no more than 40 fish in the lake, and the biggest was a low 30. I know this to be about correct by my own observations. Big roach in them all but no one ever fishes of them.

So last week a chap that had just joined the club asked me about the lakes and it gave me thoughts. I basically past on what I was told, not what I knew. This is what I imagine most people do on waters like this that are large, under fished, and difficult due to the fact there really aren't any numbers of fish in any of the lakes.

Is this what you do when asked. Do you say what you know, or what you are told.

Just interested.

****y.

robcourt82

Reaction score
If most people passed on what they knew and not what they believed there would be hardly any big fish to fish for! Lol
I tend to be quite honest and tell them what I 've been told and what I've seen to verify it.
Some people live in a dream world and some people have a vested interest in you being or not being there so my advice is to take most things with a pinch of salt unless you've seen something with your own eyes.

trotter2

Reaction score
I would only speak from my own experiences.
Many people unfortunally exaggerate for good or bad.
If for example I never fished the place (at least a number of times) I personally would just say I have no idea mate never fished the place.
Why be dishonest about it.

thecrow

Reaction score
Only what I know to be true might be passed on to another but that would depend on how long I had known the other angler. I prefer to find out for myself or take advice from those that I trust.

iain t

Reaction score
I take it all as Chinese whispers. Until i catch or see the fish myself then i believe. It's amazing sometimes that people tell you there's a 30 + mirror in there but no one seems to have caught it or seen it. If i haven't a clue about a water i will say so, if i do i tell the truth. What's the point of speaking ****, it only comes back to you with a splat.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A bit of both normally-"I have had chub to 4lb, tench to 6lb, carp to 10lb and some good roach, however I have been told there are bigger chub, I have heard of 6lb fish and carp reputedly grow a lot bigger, some say there are 20lb+ fish and one was found dead once that was reckoned to be over 20lb, but I don't know how true that is". That kind of thing.
I believe the stories depending who tells them, other ordinary anglers like myself, why not but; owners/managers etc who have vested interests maybe not, they have a good reason to exaggerate.
I don't mind telling anglers what I caught if they ask or the stories if they want to know if its just a chat on the river bank.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
First off, I have to be honest and say that chasing big fish is not really my thing. So on my club lakes I tend to stick with the ones where I stand a reasonable chance of catching "something" as opposed to the larger lake on the same complex that might throw up the bigger fish.

In terms of what I'd disclose... I think it depends a little of the way the conversation happens. I wouldn't particularly like being grilled about what I've caught where, on what baits etc... (and I'd probably be deliberately vague if I felt someone was doing that...) and I'd be just as likely to not listen much if someone rocked up and immediately started listing off the biggest fish they've caught along with un-requested advice on methods ("you won't catch nowt on the float here mate"... etc).

On the other hand, if someone on my club lakes approached me and asked for help - well, I'd do whatever I could to help them out.

Equally, if someone approached me for a chat and they seemed sensible enough, an exchange of views and experience of what's worked when... in that case, I would probably disclose what I know to be true. That said, the members of said club have always seemed to be a friendly inclusive sort of bunch who genuinely want to see all the other members have a good day - which is one of the reasons I don't hesitate in re-joining each year

steve2

Reaction score
If a new member were to read our club book fishery details they would be very impressed by the sizes .The trouble is many of these records were set years ago and fish of the sizes recorded no longer exist.
This was shown up when we did trial netting there were no 2lb roach, no Rudd of any shape or size and very few Tench and a lot of bream. But as most of the members fish for carp that not a problem to them apart from the fact that they catch too many bream.
So must really take what you read and are told with a pinch of salt.

bracket

Reaction score
If I am ask about a venue I tell the truth about my experiences and leave it to the enquirer to decide if he believes me or not. Pete

robcourt82

Reaction score
It's amazing how many venues have 2lb roach in them.... according to the angling times and anglers mail venue files and every club book I've ever read.:D

thecrow

Reaction score
I know of a stretch on the Warks avon that holds barbel over 20, pike over 40, perch over 6 all according to the bailiff, I must get down there and give it a go :D

mikench

Reaction score
I must have spoken to a fair few people who tell porkies! Tench mate loads in here!;)

steve2

Reaction score
The size of the fish is what attracts many anglers to fisheries. How many get dragged in especially carp anglers by adverts that state the lake contains xyz amount of 20,30, 40lb fish. I like my Tench fishing and it seem that all lakes now have Tench over 10lbs.

Reaction score
There are people that boast the sizes of fish caught on certain venues,there are others who downscale the fish sizes on said water,trying to lessen angling pressure,some waffle just for the sake of it and there are others who tell the truth 100%,definitely club book waffle is rife,the answer...try to evaluate by what you see,not what you hear,sometimes not possible I know,to my own personal cost on more than one occasion unfortunately.

Philip

Reaction score
It's amazing how many venues have 2lb roach in them.... according to the angling times and anglers mail venue files and every club book I've ever read.:D

& almost always lumped together with Rudd...."Roach and Rudd to 2lb" , not forgetting "Pike to 20lb" & of course.. "Bream into double figures"

If asked whats in a venue I will tell people truthfully what I know but if they start to ask specific questions about for example weight I will usually be allot more vague and say something like "there are some good ones".

In general I dont think it does any harm to listen to the stories or rumours but base you plans around what you actually see for yourself or hear from someone you know you can trust.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I personally only pass on what I've caught but only to anglers I've got to know no to some one would I've never met before, good size carp fetch good money and its been know for people to catch and remove fish

One thing I don't say too much about is which swims I've caught fish from

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well I had my first 2lb roach from a lake just 2 weeks ago.

So they had been avoiding me for 50 years.

Reaction score
Well done Graham,i'm not sure how many i've had,don't think it's more than half a dozen,anglers who target big roach catch a fair few i'd imagine,if they pick their venues properly and suss methods,I have a club lake that definitely holds fish up to 3lbs,fish get caught every year 2lbsish and more,over the last few years a 10mm boilie fished around dusk is the way,though not for me,i've seen the big roach topping at times and it is quite a sight to behold,if you couldn't see them so well you would think they were bream...and there is a lot of them,when they choose to let you see them,most times though you wouldn't think there were any in the lake.:)