Loop to loop connection

ny yankee

Reaction score
Im wondering what the general consensus is on the loop to loop connection for adding a flouro leader to braid mainline. Will the braid cut the mono? If that is no good, what is an easy knot for adding a leader? Thanks.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
One word - yes! The braid will cut the nylon.

Google the albright knot (hope I've spelt that correctly). That will do what you want it to - especially if its for joining line on a reel.

Alternatively - depending on where you need the connection - you could use a micro ring or micro swivel. I use that in barbel hooklenghts, where I have about 5 inches of braid, tied to a micro swivel and that is then tied to the main line.

iain t

Reaction score
I too would recommend using a micro ring. Braid will slice straight through mono. Or the other way is a method connector

seth49

Reaction score
I've always used a double grinner knot too join braid to mono, it's never let me down and I've used it for years, used it for attaching mono hooklenghts to braid for surface fishing for carp, and for joining braid mainline to mono backing line, amongst other things. ?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hmmm... Never thought about this before. I get the fact that the braid will cut the line, but when using a micro ring, would you tie the braid and hook length to the ring or just use the ring as a loop and join the ring to the braid by a loop to loop and the hook length to the ring by loop to loop?

Ralph.

Peter Birtles

Reaction score
I use loop to loop on shockleaders - braid main line to nylon shock leader and never had a problem with it cutting through. Some of the top match feeder anglers recommend it.
Might be an issue on short braided hooklengths to mono main line but I don't fish that way so can't comment on that.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I always use a swivel and that removes any doubt...

BTW, regards the 'cutting through' bit; Has anyone actually had this happen, or is it what folks 'think' should/could happen when they are joined directly?

Richox12

Reaction score
Have never had the braid cut the nylon. Also have used a Waterknot for both Waggler & Feeder work and NEVER had a problem. Tying a small ring or swivel at the end of the braid is excellent as, otherwise, the braid closes up and you need to use a needle to open it again to be able to thread nylon back through it.

rayner

Reaction score
Definitely the Albright knot is the best way to go as Jim says.
Loop to loop to attach hook lengths to leader but tie an Albright knot to connect leader to braid. It's one of the easiest knots to tie and very strong, it is also a tiny knot that will not catch on the rod guides.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I go jigging for zander I use an Albright knot for directly attaching braid and fluro together.
I use a swivel to join the two for other types of fishing. I've found the lower diameter the braid the more chance it has of cutting through the fluro so for peace of mind when using braid any lower in B/S than 8lb I always use a swivel....Obviously that's just my personal angle on it, other peoples ideas will differ.

rayner

Reaction score
When I go jigging for zander I use an Albright knot for directly attaching braid and fluro together.
I use a swivel to join the two for other types of fishing. I've found the lower diameter the braid the more chance it has of cutting through the fluro so for peace of mind when using braid any lower in B/S than 8lb I always use a swivel....Obviously that's just my personal angle on it, other peoples ideas will differ.

I fully understand your idea of the swivel. To my puddled brain I can't imagine the braid cutting through mono, with the mono not actually being knotted but just folded I can't see knot failing.
Just to be clear I only use braid when fishing for Roach and Skimmers so the stress on the knot is not that great. Bigger fishes may require a different approach, I've said on numerous occasions that I prefer light lines and I only fish for smaller species.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Learn the FG knot. It's one of the strongest knots to join braid to fluoro/mono. Far stronger than an Albrights...official. Another plus is because it is so slim it can be cast through the guides, no problem. Whenever I have had to pull for a break the knot itself has NEVER broken. Either at the lure or further up the braid. Fantastic knot. I have tried all manner of knots for joining braid to fluoro over the years, including all the popular ones but this beats them all.
https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk