Tying same size hook length

chrissh

Reaction score
Bought one of these today a Ringers hook length measure it dose sizes from 3” to 12” in 1” inclement (£2.99 each)
Been tying hooks and using it today for the length it works well all the same size that’s a first for me

rsz_p5200004.jpg

View image in gallery

robcourt82

Reaction score
Lol since I started using the guru boxes tying hooks has become my new favourite hobby. Will be getting a ringers measure though as I find it a bit awkward using the longer pin in the box. And I can buy the cheaper preston boxes.... can never have too many hooks tied up!

soft plastic

Reaction score
Tried a few different things for tying hook lengths over the years. Finally realised there is no difference using a piece of wood with a couple of thin tacks. Oh well..

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

robcourt82

Reaction score
Lol I tried that but didn't have any tacks that the line would slip off smoothly. Spent ages hunting through various tool boxes before I just gave up and bought a guru box.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Knock them in the piece of wood and then file off the head.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

robcourt82

Reaction score
I don't have a file..... but i hadnt thought of that even if i did. 3quid for the ringers one though, its cheaper than my labour costs! ?

bracket

Reaction score
I find a peg board used for marking on at dominoes and two match sticks is ideal and graduated in quarter of an inch gives plenty of length options. Pete.

Richox12

Reaction score
Blimey, £2.99 for a plastic ruler !!

I just tie the hook first, then place tied hook around the peg in my hookbox, stretch the line out to and around the peg I need, grab the now doubled up line, lift off and tie the loop. By doing this the upper loop knot will use a couple of mm of line and ensures they hoolength fits between the pegs perfectly.

fishplate42

Reaction score
£150! I baulked at £2.99 for a Ringers red ruler!
How long, if ever, will it take to pay for itself?

I understand where you are coming from but the ZT-Pro is far more than a means of making consistent length hook lengths.

It is intended to tie spade end hooks to a high standard, without twisting the line. This, I am told, is far more relevant if using fluorocarbon line. Personally I think the fact that it will tie a hook length without twisting it is far less relevant than the maker will have you believe. With it's alternative head it will also enable you to tie hair rigged spade hooks.

Fine, that is what it can do but do you really need to tie small spade hooks with or without hair rigs? I also am not sure if it will ever make a return on investment over buying ready-made hook lengths, except for a very few anglers, but that is not the point. The makers claim it does a better job, and it probably does for lesser mortals, like me, who can tie spade end hooks but I struggle with consistency and when using the smaller size hooks.

It is not the answer to making hook lengths all the same length, although it will if you set it up correctly. It is fine for tying small spade end hooks to fine line. Personally I tie all my hair-rigs using eyed hooks by hand, I am sure it is quicker than messing about with any tyer. And before yo ask, yes I did buy a ZT-Pro and the hair rig attachment. I use my hook length boxes for setting the length or I have a home-made pin-board for my longer lengths. I will give the Ringer board a go, for £2.99 it might just be worth having one in my tackle bag... just in case ;)

Ralph.

robcourt82

Reaction score
There is no way i could ever justify that money on a hook tyer. You still have to tie the loop and cut the line to a rough length before you start and you still have to operate the machine and then trim the knots and put them in the box by hand. I have always used a 3quid match man hooktyer and know how to do the subtle differences needed for different lines and hooks and I just can't see how the zt thing is 50 times better or more efficient. It takes me about 30 minutes to tie a pack of hooks and get them in the box start to finish. I usually take them to work with me too so I'm actually getting paid to do them! :D

fishplate42

Reaction score
There is no way i could ever justify that money on a hook tyer. You still have to tie the loop and cut the line to a rough length before you start and you still have to operate the machine and then trim the knots and put them in the box by hand. I have always used a 3quid match man hooktyer and know how to do the subtle differences needed for different lines and hooks and I just can't see how the zt thing is 50 times better or more efficient. It takes me about 30 minutes to tie a pack of hooks and get them in the box start to finish. I usually take them to work with me too so I'm actually getting paid to do them! :D

I agree with you. Personally I was happy tying them by hand or with a tyer of some kind. If speed is an issue the ZT-pro is much faster; ten hooks - ten minutes, and I am not particularly quick at it. That said for the number of hooklengths I use in a year, that is not really a consideration.

There is only one thing I can say about using the ZT-Pro is that I can tie very small spade hooks very nearly and they tie every time. I am under no illusion, there are very few people in this world who could justify buying one with cost saving in mind. It does tie very neat and constant hook lengths an I just like owning it for what it is - an interesting piece of kit, but some may say I am a bit strange. If you read my review, you will know I did not try and justify buying it, because I didn't need to. I bought it because I wanted it.

BTW, it is not necessary to use cut lengths of line, I simply tie a loop in the end of the line, tie the hook and trim. No waste apart from what you lose when tying the loop.

Great piece of kit if, like me you like mechanical gadgets, expensive toy if you don't. I am not sure what the ongoing sales will be. Once the initial sales have been made, I think ongoing business will be hard. I am sure it will not take long to meet the demand for such a machine.

There is another thing to consider. The ZT-pro is so efficient at tying hooklengths that it will be possible to tie many years worth of hook lengths, for the average angler in, in a few days (Hours even!). Then it is just going to sit there until the dreaded eBay listing beckons...

Most people who buy one will do so for similar reasons to me, if they are being honest, but that is what keeps the tackle industry alive.

Ralph.

robcourt82

Reaction score
To be fair, 10 minutes to tie 10 hooks is very good going. I consider myself reasonably quick at tying hooks but tying 10 hooks, 10 loops at the required length and 10 hook ups takes me half an hour. On that basis you are 3 times quicker. Simple arithmetic.
If I needed say 200 hooks for a season's use it would take me 10 hours, it would take you 3 hours and 20 minutes roughly. At £15 an hour that's around £100 worth of time you would save. So in the space of 2 years you would have technically paid for the zt.

fishplate42

Reaction score
To be fair, 10 minutes to tie 10 hooks is very good going. I consider myself reasonably quick at tying hooks but tying 10 hooks, 10 loops at the required length and 10 hook ups takes me half an hour. On that basis you are 3 times quicker. Simple arithmetic.
If I needed say 200 hooks for a season's use it would take me 10 hours, it would take you 3 hours and 20 minutes roughly. At £15 an hour that's around £100 worth of time you would save. So in the space of 2 years you would have technically paid for the zt.

That's okay then! I can buy another one in two years time and save the money in half the time... or I could just pay myself £30 an hour...

...There are lies damned lies and statistics.

For me, fishing and all that goes with it, is enjoyable and I don't think about it in terms of return, or amassing assets. If I can afford to buy and learn how to use something, I am happy.

Ralph.