Help on a couple of items of tackle, please

fishplate42

Reaction score
I recently won a small lot of tackle on eBay. As usual, there were all sorts of bits and pieces, of which only some of it was actually wanted. Amongst the 'other stuff' I found a couple of things that puzzled me. The first I have no idea what it is at all.

33952166074_afe0f48b14_c.jpg

To give scale to the picture, the larger wooden piece as 3½ inches long with a brass peg sticking out of it. Can anyone tell me what this is? It looks home made.

The other item is a float.

34662169101_4e4d71f818_c.jpg

It is labelled as a 'Floating Carp Bomb' but when I tried looking this up it seems there are lots of floats that carry that name. The only ones I can find that look like this one seem to be either controller floats that appear not be weighted (?) or do not have the top eye. This is 4½ inches long and weighs just over 17g. Just under the word 'bomb' there is a small round logo that reads 'MARVIC'. Can anyone explain how this float is intended to be used?

Thanks,
Ralph.

rich4930

Reaction score
If I had to guess (which I do) I would say that the first item is some kind of crude east European item, maybe used for keeping your catch (typically Wels) on a line, which I've often seen in YouTube. But that is, as I say, nothing more than a wild guess.

I'm pretty sure that the float is just what you say, a controller float, for fishing surface baits. Used just like a normal float, but attached at the top. Here's one I prepared earlier:

6c650d5959d8e1156c494576b3dbde88.jpg

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
If I had to guess (which I do) I would say that the first item is some kind of crude east European item, maybe used for keeping your catch (typically Wels) on a line, which I've often seen in YouTube. But that is, as I say, nothing more than a wild guess.

I'm pretty sure that the float is just what you say, a controller float, for fishing surface baits. Used just like a normal float, but attached at the top.

That's interesting, regarding the wooden thing. What I did not show was the name written inside the case which is very British, that is not to say it is not what you say, just a little more information that did not seem relevant before...

As for the float, it has connection rigs at each end and it came with that quick release clip attached to the lower eye... I thought controller floats lay on the surface, but I don't know, I have never used one. This float cocks with just the red tip showing when placed in my float-tube (decapitated plastic bottle!).

Can it still be used as a controller for surface fishing? If so how would it be rigged?

Ralph.

rich4930

Reaction score
I noticed the quick release at the bottom, seems like a 'deluxe' version of the one I've got :) If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 ways you can use it. First would be top eye only. You can leave it to freely move on the line, although I think more correctly it would be fixed, basically turning it into a bolt rig.
The other way would also be to connect the hooklink directly to the top eye and the mainline to the bottom end. With the addition of a small bomb running on the main line you can then anchor the rig in position.
I may stand corrected on all of that. I'd be interested myself to know what the others say :)

john step

Reaction score
Ralph.
Some controllers do sit upright in the water.

As to the first item its only a guess but it my be something called an otter.

Just a guess as stated. Otters are used to free snagged end tackle in running water. You chuck the floating wooden thing out on the end of the cord.
It catches on the line as it enters the water and floats downstream freeing the tackle. Fluff chuckers flies usually.

Thats my guess. Probably wrong though. In any case its something you will be able to live without.:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
That's interesting, regarding the wooden thing. What I did not show was the name written inside the case which is very British, that is not to say it is not what you say, just a little more information that did not seem relevant before...

As for the float, it has connection rigs at each end and it came with that quick release clip attached to the lower eye... I thought controller floats lay on the surface, but I don't know, I have never used one. This float cocks with just the red tip showing when placed in my float-tube (decapitated plastic bottle!).

Can it still be used as a controller for surface fishing? If so how would it be rigged?

Ralph.

It isn't unusual to find surface controllers with an eye at both ends, though the use of the lower one escapes me. The quick-change snap is possibly a later addition.

The other item's perplexing, but may well be an otter of some type, as has been said, although I thought they usually looked like this:

RARE HARDY OF ALNWICK OTTER TO RELEASE STUCK LINE | eBay

Is the flat end of the smaller piece of wood hollowed-out to fit over the brass peg? That would make sense if it's an otter, providing a way to fasten it on the line at the angler's end.

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is starting to make more sense. Again, another irrelevance, as I thought, to my original post is the lot I bought was a selection of fly-tying materials and tools, so the 'otter' starts to make sense. As far as I can see, there is no hole in the smaller part that fits the brass peg.

The funny thing is, I thought the carp bomb was going to straightforward and it was just something I had not come across since I took up fishing two and a half years ago. but it does seem to be an anomaly. As this was found in a fly-fishing lot could it be something home-modified to do or aid that art.

BTW, I am not a fly fisherman or as you put it, Fly-Chucker (which made my Missus laugh and I think I will now have a new nickname) I have just been collecting some materials to have a go at tying my own flies. I am thinking of having of having a go at fly fishing for coarse fish, but it is the entomology that interests me as much as anything else.

Trying to work out what is what is proving entertaining in its own right!

Ralph

sam vimes

Reaction score
The green Middy float is definitely a controller float. I'm pretty sure I still have the exact same float tucked away somewhere. It was probably from the late 80s/early 90s. I can also say with certainty that the snap link on the bottom is a non-original addition.

fishplate42

Reaction score
The green Middy float is definitely a controller float. I'm pretty sure I still have the exact same float tucked away somewhere. It was probably from the late 80s/early 90s. I can also say with certainty that the snap link on the bottom is a non-original addition.

Thanks for that. I assumed the snap link was an addition but can I also assume it was rigged using it at some point? I have also discovered the top swivel unscrews and it has a small piece of silicone tube fitted, presumably as an addition (?).

34666921461_496122d219_c.jpg

rich4930 put forward some suggestions on how it should be rigged and was curious to see if others agreed, as am I. If anyone can confirm or come up with another method, I would be interested.

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I assumed the snap link was an addition but can I also assume it was rigged using it at some point? I have also discovered the top swivel unscrews and it has a small piece of silicone tube fitted, presumably as an addition (?).

rich4930 put forward some suggestions on how it should be rigged and was curious to see if others agreed, as am I. If anyone can confirm or come up with another method, I would be interested.

Ralph.

I don't recall any silicone tubing on the top swivel of mine. How it's rigged is up to you. Personally, I'd use the top swivel for floater fishing. The bottom swivel being of limited use if that's all you use it for. However, you could us it as a big normal float in conjunction with big baits and a relatively heavy rod. I've also known people use the bottom swivel and some additional shot to create a slow sinking bomb effect.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a WW2 bomb the way you photographed it Ralph!

That would empty the lake of fish.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I don't recall any silicone tubing on the top swivel of mine. How it's rigged is up to you. Personally, I'd use the top swivel for floater fishing. The bottom swivel being of limited use if that's all you use it for. However, you could us it as a big normal float in conjunction with big baits and a relatively heavy rod. I've also known people use the bottom swivel and some additional shot to create a slow sinking bomb effect.

Thanks Sam, I will give it a go at some point. Any idea why it would unscrew? Using it as a 'normal' float maybe you could add an antenna?

Looks like a WW2 bomb the way you photographed it Ralph!

That would empty the lake of fish.

Yes it does rather :D

Ralph.