any signs of spawning yet?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
been doing a fair bit of fishing lately and seen no signs of spawning yet.....other than nobbly male bream

I'm still after tench, with very little success, catching, mainly bream and carp.

I should imagine this hot spell will get them going.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just over a week ago I saw a large shoal of bream spawning in the inside margin of the GUC which I reported on HDYGO thread. They were right next to the towpath and seemingly oblivious to any passers by who stopped to watch.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
tench fishing went to plan last night....zero

but 2 swam past my float and were very big so will have a go again tonight.

the bream were getting frisky though, looked like the males were chasing the females on the top....quite funny to see bream acting like dolphins

rubio

Reaction score
Carp have just finished on club lakes after a week or so of hectic activity. Who knows they may yet try again. Roach also now spawning and Crucians will be extra plump as they have been happily mopping up carp spawn whilst full of their own.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I did see a picture of a grinning angler of FB yesterday holding a hugely spawn-bound Tench.

Personally I see no merit, or indeed any achievement, in catching gravid fish.

Far better surely to leave them in peace to finish spawning before targeting them?

Here in the south of the Country we are still seeing spawning activity in the ponds and lakes around my area.

B

binka

I'm fully expecting to see roach and bream over the weekend if I do the night session.

I remember a warm May night a few years ago where the nearby sound of splashing was constant from dusk until dawn, when it got light the overhanging tree trunk was soaked for several feet up.

B

binka

My neighbour's just been across, he's not an angler but spent some time today having a walk around a local res whilst his car was being serviced and he came over to tell me how amazed he was at how many fish were packed together practically climbing over each other.

He didn't realise they spawned :eek:mg:

Sounded very much like they were bream as he says he knows what a carp looks like and they weren't carp, apparently it was 'black with 'em for an arc spreading a hundred and fifty feet!' :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
We were expecting the roach to go first on my syndicate. Late May is their usual time. There's probably not enough bream to notice if they have spawned or are approaching the time. The carp are likely to be quite a few weeks away yet unless we get an extended period of wall to wall sunshine with correspondingly high overnight temperatures.

Reaction score
Some carp were spawning yesterday on the lake I was fishing,most weren't mind.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I was after tench again last night on an Oxford pit, no signs of any spawning.

I caught bream, roach and perch...... consistant if nothing else!

---------- Post added at 02:39 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ----------

Just looked on Linear fisheries site and looks like the carp have started on there today. So if your planning on going there check first. They're next to where I fish

24 May 2017
Spawning
**Spawning Update** 09:45am 24/05/17

We are starting to get reports of fish spawning on Oxlease, Hunts, Hardwick/Smiths, Manor and Brasenose-Two. We are just going round the complex checking and will be closing swims, areas or potentially wholes depending on where they are spawning. We will post with a more details as soon as we have them.

theartist

Reaction score
The Chub on the Gade are spawning right now just spent half hour watching them and it was something else.The main ones doing all the action were the bigger ones, max 4lb i'd say, these fish would be either backs out the water or on their sides at times as the water was only a couple of inches deep. Then there would be a five second burst of mad tail thrashing with water spraying up around two feet in the air. Should have taken my camera as It was impressive and great to see.