Pellet feeders.

dicky123

Reaction score
I've just gotten into pellet feeders (if thats what there called) I really think they have a big role to play in specimen fishing. I've also tried the cone and like that too.

It seems we can learn much from the matchmen and his style of fishing. The little feeders they now have just delivers a tiny amount of pellet, but your hook bait can be right beside it. I'm catching well with it this and last season.

Anyone else using them? I like the Guru mini, in fact I like a lot of their stuff.

robcourt82

Reaction score
When you say specimen fishing, what do you mean? Fishing for doubles or fishing for 30's? Or are you fishing for tench and bream? I haven't been able to get on with the pellet feeders but I love using the Preston method feeders when fishing for fish up to 20lb on a commercial that's predominantly fished by carp anglers rather than the likes of me with a feeder rod.
I am quite a fan of the guru products, they seem to have a little bit of extra thought put into them but you do seem to pay for that thought.

mikench

Reaction score
All my bream , or most of them , have been caught on a pellet feeder. I have the guru ones but prefer the Preston ones in a large size.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I've had a reasonable amount of success (its all relative) using the larger of the Preston Dura Banjo feeders - the interchangeable ones. They really suit my style of fishing (lazy) as I can just pop off the metalwork at the end of the session and leave the rod made up with the plastic inner tube etc left on the line.

My PB Tench (a modest 4lb 12oz) was caught using one, along with many other smaller but equally welcome examples of its species.

dicky123

Reaction score
Rob.

I think in the right circumstances both. I cannot see why when a 3oz lead won't scare a big fish, a pellet feeder covered in bait would. Fished in the right way I guess with maybe a slightly slacker line than you would on a commercial.

If you think about it, while those carp in commercials are hungry they also mouth every bait as they have been caught many times over. I think in winter the smallest ones from Guru are just a mouthful for a big carp, or any size really.

Agree with you about Guru, yes expensive but the gear is so practical. They do great little inline leads 2/3 ounce I use to cast over feeding fish. The micro leads clips too are practical, strong and work. Yes, it's a big up for Guru from me.

****y.

Reaction score
****y,there are no bounds as to what can scare carp(barbel and tench too at times),but I agree in general,if fish want food then the food is well presented in a pellet feeder,so in many cases will succeed,sometimes not,that's why it's called fishing not catching.:)

rayner

Reaction score
Pellet feeders work better in deeper swims, the method is excellent for shallower swims.
Incidentally the method was a tactic dreamt up by carp anglers, OK it's been slimmed down or refined by companies such as Preston and Guru. They stole the idea from carp chaps.