Bait boxes...

fishplate42

Reaction score
Nearly all the bait boxes I own have been bought to transport maggots home from my local tackle shop as I am always forgetting to take one with me. As it is a 9-mile round trip (which can be over an hour in London) it is not worth going back home to get one so I buy another.

34703725482_f46955d871_b.jpg

Now I have a stack of them, but I am thinking about buying another one. I am wondering if the type with a central opening within the box lid will really prevent the little perishers climbing out of the box if they get wet. Anybody use these for maggots?

Ralph.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got a couple but I just don't like them. Whether they stop wet maggots escaping I couldn't say as I try to avoid the wet stuff but I've never yet met anything that could stop a wet maggot with a mind to escape. Pinkies are the absolute worst...the Houdini's of the larval world.

mikench

Reaction score
I have every variety save the sensas variety that is divided into four. Needless to say I shall be bringing a couple back with me. One tub containing red, white ,bronze and sky blue dot with yellow striped maggots! Perfick:)

The other will be for different pellets!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have lots of the Greys Klip Lok bait tubs. I have them with three different styles of lid. The one pictured is my least favourite. Quite happy with the flat perforated version for maggots. Quite happy with the solid central flip version for wet or inert baits. The perforated central flip version is neither nowt nor something.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fr years I used to cut spaces in the spare lids of bait boxes and yet maggots and in particular pinkies would still escape, and get everywhere, as if packing up in the rain is not difficult enough without having to pick up maggots . . . .

I solved the problem, mostly, with one of these that I us in both the rain and direct sunshine:

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/CoarseFishingUmbrellas/Preston-Innovations-Bait-Brolly.htm

I am quite happy to sit in the rain in my waterproofs without a brolly for myself but always have the bait brolly up and in use . . . .

Reaction score
I'm sorry,but there is no enjoyment for me in sitting in the rain(or sweltering sun),so a brolly is a must,so maggots tend to stay in their boxes,Fox boxes for me,in holed and sealed types similar to Crow's Grey's ones.

coooky

Reaction score
save money buy a sarnie box clip lid from tesco etc and put holes in with a hot pin or panel pin smaller holes then

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Humm pinkies absolute things nightmares are made of had the escape a couple of times not no more thou found that a piece if fine net curtain over the box before you clip the lid on allows them to breath but stops the critters dead in their tracks no more escapes i am glad to say Greenbottles are a menace to get rid of ( no doubt a few barge owners have also found that out ) ...

PG ...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Sarnie=butty=sammidge=sandwich.
Be aware that not all clip-lock boxes are created equal, and you tend to get what you pay for in that rather saturated market. Tightwaddiness in this case can result in a carful of bluebottles.

By contrast, the market for small brollies is far from crowded, and a quick search for "Pram umbrella" came up with something for about a third of the price of that aimed at anglers-in-a-hurry: Buggy Parasol | JoJo Maman Bebe

mikench

Reaction score
I think we still have one of those somewhere from my youngest daughters childhood! If I recall it was pink and white and trimmed with broderie anglaise!

On reflection it can stay where it is!;)

rayner

Reaction score
I use lift up lid boxes, Boss made. It's a shame they went out of production, they made brilliant tackle.
They sold their business to Angling Direct and the stuff still marketed as Boss is total rubbish to the side of Boss original.
Cheap but @rap.

theartist

Reaction score
Last time I bought a bait tub to add to the vast collection was on holiday last year. I had maggots in the boot but was out visiting the local town with the missus when I thought i'd get some fresher ones. Wanted them just put in a plastic bag as was on the way back to the car but tackle shop guy insisted I buy another bait box or it was no deal.

Got back to the car and added the new ones to my sweaty high mileage ones which turned out were in better nick than the ones I just bought!!

Funny I never went back to that tackle shop

B

binka

To me, bait boxes are one of those basic things that the marketing brass have tried to improve on without much success.

Yes, there are many different types available now but none that do anything more than the basic duty of retaining bait in a breathable container.

As long as the lid stays on I'm pretty much happy and don't feel the need for fancy flaps, lids, shapes and colours.

I have a couple of buckets where I've cut a circle in the lid which serves the purpose if I want to fish floater maggots or retain worms, I will say it's a good idea to go around a cut edge with a lighter to round the edge off and avoid a wrist which looks like it's spent a day with an indecisive manic depressive :eek:mg: