Fish behaviour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since joining a small syndicate allowing me to fish an estate lake I've already noticed how different it is to fishing the commercials I've been use to for the past couple of years.

The lake varies between 3 and 6ft with a stock of carp to double figures, a lot of tench, nothing much over 5lb and roach and rudd.

For the past week with the warmer weather arriving the carp have been up in the water but totally disinterested in any surface bait I put out whether it be bread, dog biscuit or pellet. I have had just two fish off the top, both tench!

I would have had a good few fish from a number of the commercials I frequented in this same period.

By comparison the lake is very lightly fished with little bait going in whereas the commies get tons of stuff chucked in daily which obviously has a direct bearing on the way fish behave.

So far I've had a fairly dire May compared to some decent catches during the poorer weather in April. A member told me yesterday how he loves to fish the lake through the winter catching bag of of tench in December! Can this be right?

Frustrating to have had a couple of blank sessions but at the same time adds spice to the challenge and learning new ways.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's pretty pointless trying to compare the average commie to a more natural water. I'm not an out and out commie hater, but they are rarely natural in any way shape of form. Because of this, the fish in them rarely behave in anything approaching a natural way.

dicky123

Reaction score
Chalk and Cheese.

Try finding some feeding fish before setting up. So have a long slow walk around the lake.

Try setting up very quietly.

Fish for one bite at a time, so little and often baiting. If your not getting bites and you know fish are in your swim, try something different.

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but in 2015 I fished a whole summer on two commercials just to see what is was like and if i could learn something. One day well 4 hours I took 44 fish. All carp to lower double, most 5/6lb amazing and I loved it.

I'm currently fishing a lake that in over two dozen trips I've only taken 3 carp.

Chalk and Cheese.

****y.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do set up quietly, not sure how necessary that is though, the lake is set in grounds that for a few days a week are open to the public with visitors often down at the lake. I always have a stroll around the lake and the carp in the margins aren't spooked when I get close.

I'd like to put a few freebies in when surface fishing to get their confidence but the few but very persistent ducks and coots are on it like a flash. Might just be a case of disinterest prior to spawning.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I do set up quietly, not sure how necessary that is though, the lake is set in grounds that for a few days a week are open to the public with visitors often down at the lake. I always have a stroll around the lake and the carp in the margins aren't spooked when I get close.

I'd like to put a few freebies in when surface fishing to get their confidence but the few but very persistent ducks and coots are on it like a flash. Might just be a case of disinterest prior to spawning.
I fished commercials a lot for 5 years and then when back to rivers and a couple of fairly natural lakes. Its a different world but I did enjoy commercials, certainly a lot fewer fish on natural waters, stock density and I wonder if commercial fish just accept getting caught and think its just life and become less wary, whereas natural fish retain their natural wariness, who knows.. You mentioned bread surface fishing but if its a small lake not fished much I would try something simple with bread on a float or a light leger on the bottom, do people feed the ducks with it. I wouldn't groundbait either just a piece of bread that fish can come across naturally as they swim around; and its easier to disguise than surface fished bait and duck free... I don't know, just thinking a different approach might work, its never going to be the same as commercial fishing but one or two or more good bites and ditto fish could make a good day..

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Since joining a small syndicate allowing me to fish an estate lake I've already noticed how different it is to fishing the commercials I've been use to for the past couple of years.

The lake varies between 3 and 6ft with a stock of carp to double figures, a lot of tench, nothing much over 5lb and roach and rudd.

For the past week with the warmer weather arriving the carp have been up in the water but totally disinterested in any surface bait I put out whether it be bread, dog biscuit or pellet. I have had just two fish off the top, both tench!

I would have had a good few fish from a number of the commercials I frequented in this same period.

By comparison the lake is very lightly fished with little bait going in whereas the commies get tons of stuff chucked in daily which obviously has a direct bearing on the way fish behave.

So far I've had a fairly dire May compared to some decent catches during the poorer weather in April. A member told me yesterday how he loves to fish the lake through the winter catching bag of of tench in December! Can this be right?

Frustrating to have had a couple of blank sessions but at the same time adds spice to the challenge and learning new ways.

Many commercial fisheries are grossly overstocked so that anglers can easily catch plenty of fish. The competition for food is such that the fish have to exist mainly on bait thrown in by anglers.

I think you're fishing a lake where the fish stocks have matured over the years so that the total number of fish roughly matches the amount of natural food that's available in the lake.

trotter2

Reaction score
Sometimes it's not all about the numbers, its the challenge and the satisfaction knowing you have caught a truly wild fish. By perseverence and learning how to fish different waters.
Nothing against commercial type fishing do what rocks your boat.

Reaction score
I'm not a commie hater(done that,got the T-shirt),but only go onto one occasionally,my preference these days is natural waters,in particular rivers,especially after September,as has been said,the satisfaction of sorting out the wilder fish gives me an extra buzz for the day.