baits that don't work for you

xenon

Reaction score
just as it says-are there any recognised baits which, no matter how much you try, just do not produce for you? mine is sweetcorn-can never seem to even buy a bite on the stuff (despite extensive trials i should add)

B

binka

Anything which I use to try and deliberately catch an eel :rolleyes:

Except tonight, tonight will be different! :cool:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything which I use to try and deliberately catch an eel

Try cheese paste the slimy beggars seem to love it . . . . .

The only "baits" I've ever had a problem with are dead baits for pike. For some reason I've never caught much on them although in Norway I took many large pike and perch on spinners and large lures, but never much on a dead bait.

It took me a while to get to grips with bloodworm fishing but once mastered it was almost too easy.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I've caught on fake baits,but not as well as I would have thought and certainly not as well as the real bait item...

swizzle

Reaction score
It used to be bread flake and luncheon meat for me. However, I seem to have got to grips with flake this spring. As for meat, I'm sure I could catch fish on it, if only it were to stay on long enough. Can't keep it on the hook, can't keep it on a hair, can't keep it on a baitscrew. I have lost all patience with it now.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Pellets of all shapes and sizes, regardless of price & quality...

Not that I haven't caught the odd fish, but for the money laid out for pumps various, flavours etc. etc. the cost / fish must be up in the £'s!!

Tried all types of presentation of my own design and those of folk who catch bucket loads of fish using them, all to no avail...................

ps Happy to say that pellets broken down with hot water and added proprietary groundbaits make a great winter feed for roach and perch, so money not wasted.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sweetcorn for grayling. I've caught at least three grayling on bare hooks over the years. That's three more than I have on corn.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
just as it says-are there any recognised baits which, no matter how much you try, just do not produce for you? mine is sweetcorn-can never seem to even buy a bite on the stuff (despite extensive trials i should add)

Yellow sweet corn not a thing red strawberry sweetcorn no problem .

PG ...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In the sea, preserved baits have seemed pretty useless for me and rag worm, not that I have tried them very often but the occasions I have; cannot recall ever catching on them. Frozen lug never nearly as good as fresh but fish do take them. Freshwater, chickpeas, again not that I have tried them very often but never caught a fish with them.

https://fishingweathergb.yolasite.com/

skov

Reaction score
Sweetcorn for me too, got no confidence in the stuff.
Weirdly I have caught a couple of perch on it, but not a lot else!

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Boilies of all shapes and sizes never had much on them. Had more pike on sprats than any other dead bait never had anything on eel sections or lamprey.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
From memory, sweetcorn was 'the' bait of the 70's and judging by the amounts I saw tossed in back then, I'm not surprised many have problems catching on the stuff now!

I still try it from time to time with some success, either as 'skins' or cut long ways in a thin strip (on an 18) to look something akin to a maggot. It works, but only from time to time although when it is 'on song' the fish can be of a better stamp............

Done okay when tipped with a red maggot and fished over depth, or over bottom weed.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
a lot of talk about sweetcorn at the moment....I cant catch on the flavoured stuff just bog standard

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sweetcorn for grayling. I've caught at least three grayling on bare hooks over the years. That's three more than I have on corn.

Every time I go grayling fishing I take a can of corn and every time I bring it home unopened. So its been equally useless as a grayling bait for me.

I think what put me off was watching some bloke in a Chris Sandford hat chucking handfuls of the stuff in [and blanking] on a particularly cold day on the Test when any bite at all was very hard to come by. Every time I reach for the sweetcorn an image of that bloke pops into my head and back in the bag it goes.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I think sweet corn is a "definitely having it bait" put a bit in try it and if it don't work don't persevere. It's so visual that it can be a warning to fish if they're bit cagey.

rayner

Reaction score
Sweet corn is brilliant in winter so long as you feed nothing and just use skins.
I never use it any other time it's useless as a bait.
One small tin of corn can last me right through the cold weather, just stick it in the freezer.