Pellet bands

iain t

Reaction score
How do you use your pellet bands?. Do you use them straight on the hook or hair tie them on. Just trying to see if you think there is an advantage over the other.

Reaction score
Depending on the size of hook and method used I do one of two things,I use them on a hair if on the lead,but have found that if i'm using hooks 14 and smaller and am floatfishing I actually hook them by pinching the band so it's like a closed mouth and nicking it through the centre(thickness wise)of the band,seems to work just fine and you can actually pull the band right up the shank of the hook altering the presentation.It's probably poop,but it's how I go...:wh

iain t

Reaction score
Fully understand Whitty. That's the way i do it on smaller hooks. Stops the band moving about. One certain lake i fish they have got clever. Where they somehow slide the pellet out with what just seems a line knock. This is with a band that are tight and the right size for the pellet. I've had to go up a size of pellets so i can normal hair rig them with a stop.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
On the rare occasions I use bands I find these the best of the bunch.

Drennan International

If you want your pellet tight to the hook simply thread a suitable sized piece of silicone tube on a baiting needle and pull through the ready tied loop down to the bend of the hook. If you want it on the back of the shank just give the hair a few turns around the shank to shorten the length of the hair then slide the silicone over.

Reaction score
How do you pinch the band when it is round a pellet?

Mike,i'm not sure if your serious or not:cool:,so here goes,no pellet until after you've hooked the band on,I use a Ringers bandit tool(which floats)to bait up,seems to work,i'm not totally convinced on the ability of hair rigged baits to work well on the float either.

bracket

Reaction score
I only time I ever use a band is when I am fishing other baits and want to know if the fish will go on a hard pellet. On these occassions I put the band on the pellet and run the hook through it. If I get a response I switch straight to a lasso hair rigged hook. I never use a band other than as discribed. Pete

robtherake

Reaction score
How do you use your pellet bands?. Do you use them straight on the hook or hair tie them on. Just trying to see if you think there is an advantage over the other.

Both, but for hair-rigging I like to tie the hair loop with a band trapped in it, on a Sensas loop tyer. Since the band isn't punctured or strangulated and moves freely on the loop it seems to last much longer before it pops. The Maver bands are a good buy and are all pretty much regular - bands that vary in thickness around their circumference tend to snap prematurely at the thinnest point. It's useful to have a few different lengths and diameters of silicone tube with you so that custom-sized bands can be made up as needed.

Reaction score
Just as an aside,i've been using Guru bands and the quality is excellent,not one breakage in a season and a half,though not using them massively,others have perished in that period.

mikench

Reaction score
Mike,i'm not sure if your serious or not:cool:,so here goes,no pellet until after you've hooked the band on,I use a Ringers bandit tool(which floats)to bait up,seems to work,i'm not totally convinced on the ability of hair rigged baits to work well on the float either.

I wasn't being facetious ! If I want to use a banded pellet from the off then i use a pre-tied hair rig with a pellet band . If I am using say maggot or corn on the hook and want to switch to a pellet I use the Greys bands. They resemble tiny tennis racquets and the hook goes through the handle as it were. I have tried putting a pellet in a band and then the hook behind the pellet until it is on the bend of the shank. I suspect this is what you do or is this where I am going wrong!

Anyways as my success is usually non existant I am not recommending my approach! I also use the Middy lasso type hair rigs too.

rayner

Reaction score
I always tie a band to an hair, I can still hook the band if I need to or fish a bait on the hair. Best of both ideas without changing hooks.

EDIT.
Should read.
I can still hook the band if I need a bait close to the hook.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I wasn't being facetious ! If I want to use a banded pellet from the off then i use a pre-tied hair rig with a pellet band . If I am using say maggot or corn on the hook and want to switch to a pellet I use the Greys bands. They resemble tiny tennis racquets and the hook goes through the handle as it were. I have tried putting a pellet in a band and then the hook behind the pellet until it is on the bend of the shank. I suspect this is what you do or is this where I am going wrong!

Anyways as my success is usually non existant I am not recommending my approach! I also use the Middy lasso type hair rigs too.

I just wasn't sure Mike,therefore the smilie,my personal preference is expanders,but,they are prone to being ripped up by small fish,then hard pellet rules the roost,but if over an 8mm I would probably use a drilled pellet on the hair,the beauty of the band is small hooks can be used,which are less obtrusive,especially as most of my fishing these days is spent trying to catch fish other than carp,I don't mind a few,but prefer to catch them on my terms,which is on the float,with 6lbs bs or less lines,then I test my mettle,unlike using 12-15lb line on which I would expect to land every carp,other than hook pulls,fishing is about pleasure these days and if upsets the anglers who fish to a set code,unlucky,we all pays our ticket and rod licence money,so takes our choice.:)

mikench

Reaction score
I only use 6lb line or less and generally size 14 or 16 hooks. I do not possess hooks larger than a 12! I have found pellet bands do not last long so I prefer drilled pellets.

Reaction score
I only use 6lb line or less and generally size 14 or 16 hooks. I do not possess hooks larger than a 12! I have found pellet bands do not last long so I prefer drilled pellets.

As I think I said earlier I use Guru bands and the Ringers bandit tool you 'should' get a full days fishing on two or three bands,even hooking the band on,it's the stretching the band without a tool that normally kills them off.