Slugs and snails

mikench

Reaction score
Has anyone used and caught consistently with slugs or snails? I hate the former but have so many in the garden that I thought I might try them ! Do you prepare them in any way i.e. Remove the snails from their shell?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And if I may ask a supplement question.

Can you store slugs for a few days and if so what's the best method?

chrissh

Reaction score
I had some success with fishing with the big black slugs when I lived in Canada the carp loved them. I haven’t tried them hear, I have used the dynamite hemp and snail which worked well

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

And if I may ask a supplement question.

Can you store slugs for a few days and if so what's the best method?

Store slugs in a bait box with damp moss in a cool place up to 3-5 days

john step

Reaction score
I have caught chub on the big black ones that you find in the long grass on damp days. Almost a magical bait.

I once had an invasion of small grey slugs on my lawn and I decided to try them for bait. This was in the days I had permission to fish Whitley Park in Surrey. I had more crucians that day than any other.

The only thing slowing me down was baiting up using forceps:eek:

chrissh

Reaction score
Forgot to say that slugs have got 2 rows of teeth and can give you a nip… and as John said use forceps.We used a very thin baiting needle a bit like the sea fisherman use but smaller in size about 4” long I don’t know if you can get them here

sTr9D.jpg

View image in gallery

barbelboi

Reaction score
Two of my early season chub favourites - black slugs, particularly, work well and, unlike some, I prefer to leave snails in their shells - after all, that's how the chub would find them naturally...

I tend to free line both.

mikench

Reaction score
I have caught chub on the big black ones that you find in the long grass on damp days. Almost a magical bait.

I once had an invasion of small grey slugs on my lawn and I decided to try them for bait. This was in the days I had permission to fish Whitley Park in Surrey. I had more crucians that day than any other.

The only thing slowing me down was baiting up using forceps:eek:

Oh John that would be me too! I hate the things!!

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 ----------

Two of my early season chub favourites - black slugs, particularly, work well and, unlike some, I prefer to leave snails in their shells - after all, that's how the chub would find them naturally...

I tend to free line both.

Do you hair rig them through the shell or baitband them?

robtherake

Reaction score
Forgot to say that slugs have got 2 rows of teeth and can give you a nip… and as John said use forceps.We used a very thin baiting needle a bit like the sea fisherman use but smaller in size about 4” long I don’t know if you can get them here

That's a startling fact, although it should be obvious, really, considering the damage they do in the garden. Never held one for long enough for it to bite me - the feel of their mucus initiates a full-body shudder.:puke: For that reason alone I've rarely fished with them. The ones I find eating my veg are impaled - kebab style - on a long, thin metal spike and consigned to a lidded bucket to expire. The resultant goop goes on the compost heap where it belongs.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A good pal of mine tested our big black slugs against lobworms in a prolific chub barbel swim on the wye. The lobworm easily outfished the slug and by some margin. Just sayin'

john step

Reaction score
A good pal of mine tested our big black slugs against lobworms in a prolific chub barbel swim on the wye. The lobworm easily outfished the slug and by some margin. Just sayin'

Yes, it seems that the chub on some rivers go mad for them and other rivers they are indifferent.

The good slug rivers for me were the Gt.Ouse,Thames and Ivel. They were useless for me on the Beault where cheese was good. I have not used them up here but a mate who has said they are useless on the Bain and Trent.

I sometimes used to fish with a character called Charlie (chubby) Landells who actually bred the horrors in fish tanks in his garage. He could winkle a chub out of a bucket of water on slug.

nottskev

Reaction score
Slugs and catmeat are two great baits, but I'd rather eat worms than use them.

xenon

Reaction score
my best single afternoons fishing was with freelined slugs (big black ones) in a gin clear swim on the river Wreake for chub-like the proverbial shooting fish in a barrel.