Cornflakes...

fishplate42

Reaction score
All this talk about corn and the mention of corn skins, got me thinking (again - sorry!) Has anyone tried cornflakes as a hook bait?

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
I am so intrigued by how you would hook a cornflakes shall give it a try . I only have the crunchy nut variety so the fish won't get a look in

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
A mate of mine reckons he's caught Chub on Coco Pops.

Apparently he superglued a cluster together and fished them on a hair rig.

Sounds amusing but could be utter bollix!

iain t

Reaction score
Cornflakes will be no good as hook bait as they go soggy too fast. Best leave them in the breakfast bowl. Have heard of people using popcorn cooked and uncooked. Suppose it's just like maize.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Superglued sugar puffs were popular a few years back and I've heard tell of fruit loops being used.

But I'm definitely after freelining marshmallows in the summer.....most exciting way of catching. :)

rich66

Reaction score
I've used crushed cornflakes in groundbait, but only the once never tried it again to compare

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
**** Walker wrote about using them over 40 years ago. Our club president used Rice Krispies in the 1950s as bait.

fishplate42

Reaction score
While I was out, I bought a packet of Aldi's own brand. With a bit of messing about I am wondering if I can use them damp as a slow sinking bait on a short pole or a waggler on a soft lob. I can't see it going anywhere but on the ground behind me on a proper cast. If you try hooking them dry they either snap or they swing about too much.

Then it occurred to me that it might be possible to hair rig them using a speed stop, always assuming I manage to bore the hole without breaking them.

34927866356_5a55b1cfce_c.jpg

Well, after a few breakages, I worked out how to bore the hole successfully. My plan is to use this short hook length, loop to loop connection with small shot, starting at the loop, evenly spaced up the line with a loaded float.

The plan is to catch fish up in the water as the flakes slowly descend and break up. Well, that's the plan at the moment - I feel a few hours experimenting going on here...

Ralph.

Reaction score
Your interest in all things corn is beginning to worry,please don't start telling jokes...;)

fishplate42

Reaction score
Your interest in all things corn is beginning to worry,please don't start telling jokes...;)

There were two old men sitting on a bench....

Oh! sorry, you said I mustn't tell any jokes :rolleyes:

It is not so much an 'interest' more a curiosity. I do like trying to understand the sorts of things that we all, me included. like to take for granted. By discovering the root of anything, it is far easier to understand.

One thing just leads on to another. The tinned corn thing started when somebody on one of the Facebook pages posted the question "What corn do you use?" The answers came thick an fast but were only people's preference about what was cheapest, what tasted better etc. It was all conjecture and very little fact. So I went out and spent about twenty-five quid on sweetcorn and set about fact finding the results of which I published on my bolg.

I learnt a lot, and even changed my view on what I was using. I hope other found it useful and even only a little bit interesting - be honest, I won't tell anyone!

It was after talking about sweetcorn and fishing just the skins that I thought about the corn flakes. I have no idea whether it will work or not, but I love to have a go at this sort of thing. It is all about having fun. I just love experimenting and analysing the results. I am making myself sound like a geek, and maybe I am in some peoples eyes but who cares, it is meant to be enjoyable and I like to share what I discover.

My current project is to unravel all the knotty problem of hook length lengths and how to tie it perfectly every time - it also involves that bloke who had an interest in triangles and circles. Again after reading some brash claims that had no basis in fact.

BTW, I don't tell jokes, I am far too serious for such frivolity.

Ralph :j

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My current project is to unravel all the knotty problem of hook length lengths and how to tie it perfectly every time - it also involves that bloke who had an interest in triangles and circles. Again after reading some brash claims that had no basis in fact.

Ralph :j

I thought you'd conquered that one with the Gizmo purchase.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I thought you'd conquered that one with the Gizmo purchase.

No, no, no. As much as I like the Gizmo ZT-Pro and as much as the guys at Gizmo will tell you it is, it is not the answer to all the issues associated with tying hook lengths. There are all sorts of things that will trip you up. Tye a 4 inch hook length and then try and tie a 12 inch one by winding the line on the capstan as they instruct and the 4 inch length will fit your rig box but the 12 inch one will be too long.

There is an 'error' in the size of the capstan as 2[FONT=&quot]πD [/FONT]does not equal exactly 2 inches. Anyone who wants to read my independent (I bought them) reviews on the Gizmo ZT-Pro and the hair rig attachment will find links to them on my blog HERE.

That said it will still tie very neat spade hooks far smaller than I can tie by hand - and they are identical every time if you take care. As I have said in my review, it is the printed instructions that let it down - they are probably the worst I have ever seen - really. Don't take my word for it, take a look for yourself, you can download them from the Gizmo website.

Ralph.

john step

Reaction score
Twice I have used cornflakes WITH SUCCESS for bait although the use is very limited and an awful lot of trouble.

I had difficulty in getting some grass carp to even look at any bait, even floating crust.
I took some cornflakes along and when the wind was blowing from behind I scattered them downwind to float under my bank.

Some of the grassies munched them straight away.

I super glued two together with a hook in the sandwich and lowered the flaked onto the surface below my rod top.

I was able to catch them before the cornflakes went too soggy, which was very quickly.

It was just an experiment, one which I probably will never repeat again.

I cannot imagine cornflakes as a general bait would be better than bread flake in other circumstances which must be the ultimate slow sinking bait.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Corn Flakes / flaked corn?

I think they're both made by pressing (squashing). The cereal version might be heat treated or some such to make if go softer quicker or be more palatable to us, not sure as I haven't looked too closely.

It is in vitalin and various dried pet foods (rabbit, hamster and other similar animals), I used to get it from a pet shop which has since closed :( ; it's been used in fishing quite a lot especially in pursuit of carp. I'm sure that I have read about it being used in groundbait mixes from various authors (brain won't work).

Buying as flaked corn, it has no added sugar or salt, which may make it taste nicer to us, may not have the same effect on fish.

The version sold as bait, seems to attract a higher cost (there's a surprise), but I'm sure it would be available in a farm shop.

It's even used in brewing beer!

You can also get flaked peas (i.e. pressed, the same as corn, but dried after).