Strange bites on float!

pratty117

Reaction score
Hi Chaps
I did a quick afternoon session on the float yesterday. Fished sweetcorn on a size 16. Had some nice roach and a tidy bream. Also managed a bonus crayfish!! Now the thing that baffled me the most was some strange bites I was getting! Never really experienced them before. The float would dip incredibly slowly until almost under water. I would strike and there would be nothing! Small fish perhaps or have I just answered my own question when mentioning the dreaded crayfish!!?
Anyone shed any light??
Cheers
Adam

Reaction score
You have indeed answered your own question,you experienced what I would call the A-typical crayfish bite on the float,you need to feed an odd cube of meat or two to take their interest away from your corn.:)

iain t

Reaction score
The pond and lakes i fish have no Crayfish but i too get the odd times when the float will go under whilst Bream fishing but will not hook anything. I put it down to the Bream sucking it in then blowing out when they feel the hook. Not saying it can't be Crayfish but ive never suffered trouble from them in our club rivers and stillwaters

theartist

Reaction score
Sounds like crayfish but i'd keep hitting it anyway, it's amazing how after getting a few fish how they can just touch the bait, even carp can get finicky and you'll whack into a really good fish every now and then thinking it's a cray.

lambert1

Reaction score
Sounds like Crayfish to me too as I have had the same experience on our rivers which are infested with them. Every now and then they get too cocky and get themselves tangled in the line and I have to change the line as it looks a little too crimped:mad:

pratty117

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. This may sound daft but are they predominantly bottom feeders, would you still get pestered mid water?

smudger172

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. This may sound daft but are they predominantly bottom feeders, would you still get pestered mid water?

I have watched them take floating crust when fishing in amongst reeds, so it seems if there is something to climb up on they will...

Reaction score
The pond and lakes i fish have no Crayfish but i too get the odd times when the float will go under whilst Bream fishing but will not hook anything. I put it down to the Bream sucking it in then blowing out when they feel the hook. Not saying it can't be Crayfish but ive never suffered trouble from them in our club rivers and stillwaters

In your case Ian it sounds like liners,rubbing your line whilst grazing.

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

I have watched them take floating crust when fishing in amongst reeds, so it seems if there is something to climb up on they will...

I've also had the experience on the rare occasion I use a keepnet of three crays climbing over the end of it,looks like something out of a horror movie.:)