Peacock Quills - Where do they come from?

Reaction score
Yes, well the quick whitted amongst you will have immediatly shouted "PEACOCKS!"

Now we have that out of the way lets move on.

I just baught alarge stash of peacock quills off th'bay. I sincestarted to wonder what events took place after the peacocks grew them that led to them being offered for sale in 12" lengths for float makers.

Are these birds farmed for their feathers?

Do they have their wondereful tail feathers plucked so that they walk round 'naked'?

Are these birds bred for the table in some places? (Buckingham Palace??)

Where are all these peacocks?

Does the world have a huge abundance of them?

Does anybody know owt?

I just feel a bit guily buying them, making them into floats and stashing them away in my ivory float tubes.

Matt

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Peacocks are found in India. Both males and females have tail feathers but it is the male that has the decorativelong feathers. They shed the feather naturally. Plenty of estates, zoos etc in this country that have peacocks so an easy supply of feathers.

Alternative answer: Peacocks are found in Gents loos.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

A Knowsley Safari Park peacock afterCorkey(or a Scouse fishing club) had been there for a day out .........
peacock.jpg

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
August/September the Peacock moults its tail feathers, they grow long as part of the mating ritual to attract the female, ie : when they fan them out, also used to 'drive' the female into position.

If anyone would like a few, message meand i'll send them off to you, cutdown to 12",I have approx 50-60, (first come first served). If you'dsome of theplume and 'eyes'let me know.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Peacock herl is some of the finest fly dressing material of all.

I have a couple of peafowl skins here, the feathers are gorgeous.

And peafowls, especially the young ones taste better than pheasant to which they are closely related.

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
Don't forget the 'wild' peacocks. My mum has one that resides just down the road from her, and is often seen walking around in the street. Given me a good few feathers he has.

slime monster

Reaction score
If you go to places where peacocks roam at will ..NEVER go in a turqoise coloured car as the male peacocks will attack especially at breeding time , i worked at such a place and witnessed real damage to paintwork on cars ,i think they take the cars as a rival display.

I have got bunches of quills from charity shops .

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I have got bunches of quills from charity shops .</blockquote>
That's strange. I bought some old slippers and a toby jug from the tackle shop.

Reaction score
One was an eight and the other was a seven.

It was quite a lucky find really. I have always had one foot bigger than the other, but Clarkes will never split a pair.

W

Wolfman Woody

I found two on the river bank a couple of months ago, washed down in one of the floods.

Strange how you never find two with the same pattern though.

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Corkey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

One was an eight and the other was a seven.

It was quite a lucky find really. I have always had one foot bigger than the other, but Clarkes will never split a pair.</blockquote>Did they stink of piss?

ROBERT DENMAN

Reaction score
I was attacked by one once as a kid it jumped on my head scratched and pecked me. kill them all (only joking but beawair)