Trotting rod- End Sections

Muffin

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've just purchased a 17ft Daiwa harrier match rod from ebay, but on its arrival I found out that it is the power version.

I really wanted to use it for stick floats and trotting, but its a bit stiff in the tip for that really. I tried putting the end section of my 13ft browningmatch rod onto the daiwa harrier butt sectons and it appears to fit ok, its a slightly softer tip on the browning. The end sections of both rods are the same length.

Is this a good idea or am I not being very sensible? Do I risk breaking one or both parts of the rod, any tips or suggestions greatly received!

Thanks

Simon

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Two things: a possible 'flat spot' as the two are mismatched which could give you a lockup when the rod is under pressure, second thing is the chance the tip will fall off.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Simon,

I have to agree with Mark, you will have a likely 'flat spot' and the resultant possible lock-up will cause you grief with anything of a decent size.

Better to search for a specific 'trotting' rod, both Tri-Cast and (I hate to say it,) M.A.P. do good trotting rods.

Alternatively look at the Daiwa models, but I'm not sure that they go to 17 feet in length.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Surely the validity of the two possible problems can be ascertained by putting the section on and giving it a good waggle, this plus a visual inspection of the tapers will give you a good idea of the fit, and surely putting on a reel and putting line through the rings and putting it in tension will give you some idea of whether there is a flat spot.

Over the years I have modified many rods as to length and action, some successful and some less so, nothing ventured nothing gained unless you can return or sell the rod

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Simon don't be afraid of the rod just because it has a power tag try it out on your rivers first you may well find that there are plenty of trotting situations where it is very handy.

I use so called power float rods on the Ribble when targetting either barbel or larger grayling and I want a rod that will set a hook at long range and that has a bit of backbone to stop a fish quickly.

OK, you may have to step up to hooklengths of 3lb and above, but in most cases this really is no hardship.

You will often find that rods that feel pokey when waggled at home are nowhere near as powerful as you would imagine them to be once you start to use them in real fishing situations.

Indeed I recently bought a Prestons power float rod which felt superb in the shop but the tip is too gentle to set a hook effectivly at range though there is power lower down the blank which is a bit of a shame as it cost £180!

So unless you want to trot for silver fish with fine lines stick with it for a while and see what it can do

Muffin

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all, am gonna try the rod this weekend so will see how we get on!

It definately does not feel right with the tip of the softer rod on it, so I think you all have probably saved me from breaking a rod or two!

Thanks

Simon