Bad peg, great day!

fishplate42

Reaction score
I went back to Oakley road fishery for only the second time on Wednesday. I ended up on the the worst peg I could have picked for a spot of float fishing with a 13ft float rod! My efforts at taking minimal gear proved to be a double edged sword. The peg had overhanging trees which on one hand restricted my cast but on the other hand, it gave me a problem to overcome.

Sometimes, when fishing alone, if the fishing is too easy it can get boring, don't you think? You can see how I got on HERE. In the end I had an interesting day and decided I am not a tree-hugger!

Ralph

mikench

Reaction score
I have enough problems to overcome Ralph without vegetation:rolleyes:

Having said that I have picked a peg, set up my chair ,rod rests and the rod only to find that my overhead cast is severely restricted by branches and a sideways cast is difficult! Occasionally I have moved peg or removed said branches. I now keep a set of secateurs in the car just in case

fishplate42

Reaction score
I must admit I have been tempted from time to time but I think felling a 15 tonne oak might get me in trouble! This was more of a case of not knowing the venue and not paying attention! If I had a shorter rod with me I would have been okay. I am currently trying to fish with minimum tackle. I usually have a van load of gear I don't use 'just in case'. It would have been handy on Wednesday but not having that choice actually resulted in good day's fishing and an interesting challenge I would not have set myself deliberately.

Ralph

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Try giving your corn a good coating of Lo-Salt. I have tried this now on numerous occasions and I think it has made a real difference. If the fish are feeding avidly then it doesn't much matter but I have used it when bites have been hard to get and I have usually done far better than those around me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

fishplate42

Reaction score
Try giving your corn a good coating of Lo-Salt. I have tried this now on numerous occasions and I think it has made a real difference. If the fish are feeding avidly then it doesn't much matter but I have used it when bites have been hard to get and I have usually done far better than those around me.

Thanks Ray, but why lo-salt? would ordinary salt be okay?

Ralph.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Lo-salt contains potassium, fish seem to like it. Some carp anglers were/are using rock salt either in or adjacent to their bait. The fish seem to like it. I add low salt to other baits too. I sprinkle it onto bread for bread punch just before I roll it and diced luncheon meat gets a good coating too. Laguna posted a bit on here a couple of years ago about one of his baits being high in potassium and I thought I would try Lo-salt and it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Bananas are famously rich in potassium, too...

A "dolly" butt - a shorter version of the rod's handle section - can be a boon. I have some cane examples, but nowadays, when manufacturers want to sell us a complete range of rods, one for each situation, such implements of multi-function tend to need home-fettling.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Lo-salt contains potassium, fish seem to like it. Some carp anglers were/are using rock salt either in or adjacent to their bait. The fish seem to like it. I add low salt to other baits too. I sprinkle it onto bread for bread punch just before I roll it and diced luncheon meat gets a good coating too. Laguna posted a bit on here a couple of years ago about one of his baits being high in potassium and I thought I would try Lo-salt and it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Ray. I have just looked it up and, as you say it contains potassium. According to Wikipidia it is 66% potassium 33% sodium chloride (ordinary table salt). I assume this is just a rounding of the figures meaning one third and two thirds... Either that or they don't know what the other 1% is. ;)

Ralph.

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

Bananas are famously rich in potassium, too...

A "dolly" butt - a shorter version of the rod's handle section - can be a boon. I have some cane examples, but nowadays, when manufacturers want to sell us a complete range of rods, one for each situation, such implements of multi-function tend to need home-fettling.

Now there's a thought. Ground up dried banana chips...

...I wonder what the percentage of a dried banana is potassium?... I just looked it up and apparently it is minuscule (558mg/100g - just over ½%) compared with Lo-Salt.

Going back to the original topic, I don't think a dolly butt would have helped much as I think I may have still been in trouble with my 8ft picker. Dolly butts don't seem to be popular any more. I suspect that is because manufacturers seem to make most types of rod an many lengths today.

Ralph.