The FM national free fishing advice thread...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't think there's been a similar thread on here before and I hope it will serve as an aid to those who may not wish to pay to fish rivers, lakes etc around the country. I appreciate these places are few and far between but even here in my locale there's quite a few. I think you can probably look up on the net for these locations but won't get the gritty local knowledge. You maybe going on holiday or moved to a new area and are interested? We have enough members in a whole variety of locations who can probably help with their knowledge of places to fish for free along with tips etc, won't you fellas? Let's see how it goes?

Just ask away if you want to know and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Iv'e only had one season of river fishing and it's all been free. The Kentish Stour has a free section running through Canterbury from Wincheap to Sturry.

Through this section you can catch Chub, Bream, Pike, Roach, Dace, Perch and if you're lucky the odd Trout and Carp.

The river is narrow and shallow, most tactics work but a simple free lined piece of meat or cheesepaste will find chub. Trotting with maggots for Dace, Roach and Chub works well too.

Parking is easy with car parks adjacent to the river or you can do as the newly crowned Drennan champion Iain McDonald does and ride a push bike around town.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Only free fishing in Leicester that I know of is the River Soar in Abbey Park, they just ask that you watch out for other park users and have a valid rod license.

Reaction score
There is more than a few miles of free fishing in Bedford town centre,which is cited in the magna carta.

Reaction score
No mate,the 'cut' was originally club water,now no longer even available for day tickets(as are Priory lakes,Cardington walk),the free water is basically on the river above the entrance to Priory Marina,upstream for a few miles up to Honey Hills,at the bottom of Vauxhall AC's water at Kempston,there are some very good fish present,in spite of being in prime EU territory.;)

Last edited:
B

binka

I actually think that some of these free fishing places would benefit by seeing increased numbers of legitimate anglers, namely the ones that don't leave the place a mess and/or remove fish.

Field Mill Dam in the centre of Mansfield is a prime example, it's a lovely little oasis and can be good fishing too but during the summer months it occasionally becomes a cess pit of discarded litter and dog $hit, the former which can be put down to a few disregarding fisherman and general public and the latter a small minority of inconsiderate dog walkers and people passing through en route to somewhere else.

It's a shame as there are a few good blokes who fish down there very responsibly and it's clear when chatting with them that they really care about the place.

Reaction score
Trouble is at Bedford,as in many parts of the country,lot's of the free fishing area on the Ouse are in unsafe areas these days,drug takers and alcoholics looking for someone to mug make it somewhere I wouldn't go,shame as I used to fish these places a lot up until 12-15 years ago,the main town area is pretty safe and I still fish there a few times a year,big bags of roach are possible from virtually anywhere on a reasonable day,bream and tench,with the occasional large carp are present.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Free water is rather rare in my part of the world. I understand that there are bits of the rivers Tees and Wear that are free, but I've never fished them. I doubt I ever will either.

robtherake

Reaction score
Free water is rather rare in my part of the world. I understand that there are bits of the rivers Tees and Wear that are free, but I've never fished them. I doubt I ever will either.

I'll say. Time was there were a few "free" ponds, inasmuch as you weren't bothered by anyone in authority as long as you were quiet and cleaned the place up of all the litter so the minority didn't spoil it for everyone.

One succumbed to a massive nitrate-induced algal bloom and subsequent deoxygenation, another has been electrofished for the "safety" of the neighbourhood kids and a third...well, I was chased off it by some ruffians and haven't been back. Progress, eh?:rolleyes: