Philosophically speaking which is your favourite fish and why?

mikench

Reaction score
This is a rhetorical question to hopefully illicit a response from the much missed Derek Gibson. I do hope he is well and continuing to enjoy his fishing

john step

Reaction score
I am going to look up rhetorical.:D Other than that its the one I am fishing for at any given time. Even bream:wh

Reason? because they are all fascinating in their own way.

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Proper* North Sea Cod. Utterly fresh.

Delicious.

[Edit]* Although now sadly only a memory. Unless Mrs. May turns out to have the balls to actually boot the foreign factory cod combine harvester ships out of our North Sea waters for the ten years required to restore the almost extinct native population. And restrain the British fishermen more than happy to take their place, trawl netting everything that lives - conservationists ? interest in the stocks ? a fisherman with a £2m mortgage on his trawler... yeah, I really believe that they care about the conservation issues, as opposed to personal bankruptcy.

And that's another one not to believe the Scientists and vested interest fishermen on. "Revived stocks" my arse. "Safe to increase the quotas" my other buttock.

Remember why they called Cape Cod that name. So many Cod that you could almost walk on them in spawning season. Now extinct. And it was the fishermen that did it, don't blame anyone else[/Edit]

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suppose my favorites have got to be the species that I fish for the most, therefore my favorites would have to be Chub, barbel and grayling on the rivers and tench on still waters.
Reasons being they all fight above their weights and very often the venues they reside in are idyllic.....oh and the methods used to catch them are to my liking.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I hope Derek islooking in and await his response! Thanks to all so far for airing your views. I hope that tench will become my favourite fish:(:D

shane99

Reaction score
This is a rhetorical question to hopefully illicit a response from the much missed Derek Gibson. I do hope he is well and continuing to enjoy his fishing

crack one as usual mikench & probably DG would appreciate it ...

thecrow

Reaction score
Barbel for me these days not the brightest of creatures but looks imo make up for that particularly a proper shaped Barbel not some of the distended things that pop up in the angling press.

A few years ago Carp would have been high on my list having fished for them for many years swinging between them and Barbel along the way but as I can no longer fish as I used to for them I suppose they have to take second place.

Philip

Reaction score
Chub.

I don't understand why they dont feature as more peoples favourite. What a great fish. A proper fish. Even looks like a fish should. Eats everything, & in any weather, big enough to pull back a bit and requires a proper watercraft to catch.

How many times has a Chub livened up an otherwise blank day on a dour river ?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Got to be Crucian carp for me

For the simple reason for their size they put up one hell of a fight way above their weight after that Tench or on Rivers Chub and barble .

PG ...

robtherake

Reaction score
It would have to be a toss-up between perch, tench or crucians, with the latter winning by a short fin. Shame there isn't more crucian fishing in the local area, but I do know a place where they go to at least four pounds.:wh

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It would have to be a toss-up between perch, tench or crucians, with the latter winning by a short fin. Shame there isn't more crucian fishing in the local area, but I do know a place where they go to at least four pounds.:wh

Four Pound Crucian that woiuld be a fish to land biggest i have had is just about 2 lb and that fought like billy'O' .. so a 4lb one nice ..

PG ...

robtherake

Reaction score
Four Pound Crucian that woiuld be a fish to land biggest i have had is just about 2 lb and that fought like billy'O' .. so a 4lb one nice ..

PG ...

Biggest I weighed went 3-6. Biggest I didn't weigh - phone was dead and scales were in another bag - made it look like a tiddler - perhaps the most exasperating experience of my whole fishing "career." I was sure it was a common-or-garden carp of about five or six pounds until it ran out of puff and started to go round in circles, as crucians do. They're old fish, getting to be quite pale in colour and very few in number, so there won't be many more opportunities, if any. Life, eh?:rolleyes:

Keith M

Reaction score
My absolute favourite fish has to be the Tench; closely followed by the Barbel and then the Crucian Carp.

I will never forget the warm dark evening when my mate lifted my landing net under one of my float caught Tench only to find a beautiful 3lb Crucian Carp; which he must have accidentally netted as it lay in the margins, which was laying right underneath the Tench when the net was placed onto my unhooking mat.

I had 11 sizable Tench during that evening plus a couple of nice Crucians; pure heaven and aching arms.

Keith

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Chub.
Not sure of your watercraft? Go and stalk some chub.
Want to try out a new method or bit of kit? A chub's your best chance (barring pay-lake molest-a-pet victims).
Float, ledger, fly or lure, ol' rubber-lips will have a go as long as your stealth is up to the job. And, bless 'em, they don't seem to mind - they'll set up camp where the food is going in, and not mind spending a couple of hours in a keep-net every other Sunday; but they'll always be cautious, cunning, and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every twig in the swim that can be used as a disgorger. What's not to love?

peterjg

Reaction score
It has to be roach, when they are small they can be ridiculously easy to catch but when older and bigger they are the hardest of all fish to catch.

This is going to surprise you but it is true! Some anglers fish for species other than roach - how weird is that!?

smudger172

Reaction score
If i had only one species it would be the Pike but as there a winter fish and there is another 6 months to fill. So perch on the rivers with some barbel fishing thrown in. Eels through the summer evenings on the lakes....

B

binka

I suppose mine goes without saying but for the record...

Perch! :)

Can't really think of a clear second if I'm honest, I would probably say zander.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A thought provoking thread . . . . . and maybe one that one's answer hinges on your definition of "philosophically"?

To my mind, and thinking along the lines of a definition more like, " something that relates to the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence" then I would have to say probably the Roach (excusing the capital letter for the pedants) as to me it was the first, or fundamental target of my early fishing days and remains m favourite target to this day.

However, if by definition you consider "philosophically" as more like: "a way that shows a calm attitude towards disappointments or difficulties" . .. then probably any damned fish that evades my baits . . . . ;)

Come back Derek, you are missed . . . .